Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

It’s not misleading it’s a statement of the combined percentage of the people returning. 

Nowhere did I say we kept teams honest I said this is a good enough percent to keep them honest. 

Your inability to correctly read does not make my statement misleading. 

Your EXACT statement was that this is good enough to keep teams honest. And I’m telling you that the statistics that I just laid out for you completely contradict your point in every way possible.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Your EXACT statement was that this is good enough to keep teams honest. And I’m telling you that the statistics that I just laid out for you completely contradict your point in every way possible.

35% from 3 has the same expected points as a 52.5 two point shot. 35 percent from 3 will keep defense honest. 

And if looking at you returning players shooting percentage isn’t the best way to project future shooting performance I’d be curious how we should judge it. Tarot cards?  

But we just have to hope one day to have a high flying offense like the early 2000 patriots I guess. 

One guy on this roster was actually at 35% or higher. His 4 game stretch at the end of the conference season put him there. So his 41% wasn’t even a consistent 41%. And the total number of 3 point baskets made by those 4 players you mentioned is 3.9 per game combined.. Or a total of 12 points per game. That doesn’t move the needle.

I could quote you about 5 times per day. You’re low hanging fruit. I’m glad you have to keep referencing the one dumb thing you could dig up from the football message board.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

One guy on this roster was actually at 35% or higher. His 4 game stretch at the end of the conference season put him there. So his 41% wasn’t even a consistent 41%. And the total number of 3 point baskets made by those 4 players you mentioned is 3.9 per game combined.. Or a total of 12 points per game. That doesn’t move the needle.

I could quote you about 5 times per day. You’re low hanging fruit. I’m glad you have to keep referencing the one dumb thing you could dig up from the football message board.

Lol once again you don’t seem to be suggesting a better way to look at our 3 point shooting next year.  Looking at our returning players would seem to be a good start.  Yes they didn’t shoot a lot of them not their fault Romeo was chucking and Juwan was shooting a lot  clearly their usage will go up next year. Usually that’s the way it works with young players  their usage and percentages go up  Look at green he shot more 3s and his percentage went up from the previous year.  Al also increased his usage and his percentage  

You say so many silly things that’s just the most memorable.  You seem to just make stuff up and hope it’s right. 

Lol once again you don’t seem to be suggesting a better way to look at our 3 point shooting next year.  Looking at our returning players would seem to be a good start.  Yes they didn’t shoot a lot of them not their fault Romeo was chucking and Juwan was shooting a lot  clearly their usage will go up next year. Usually that’s the way it works with young players  their usage and percentages go up  Look at green he shot more 3s and his percentage went up from the previous year.  Al also increased his usage and his percentage  
You say so many silly things that’s just the most memorable.  You seem to just make stuff up and hope it’s right. 

I’m using facts and statistics. You’re changing the narrative, all over the place, and not responding directly to what I’m saying...

It’s like debating my know-it-all 19 year old social justice warrior cousin.

1 minute ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I’m using facts and statistics. You’re changing the narrative, all over the place, and not responding directly to what I’m saying...

It’s like debating my know-it-all 19 year old social justice warrior cousin.

What narrative have I changed. My post pertained to our returning three point shooting not being the primary concern for the team because the main issue was the wrong people were shooting our 3s and they aren’t with the team anymore. 

Natural development will likely lead to them shooting more 3s at a higher percentage  it’s just how it is  

Nothing I have said has deviated from that. Your inability to provide coherent facts to counter that doesn’t mean I am jumping around. 

There’s no legit reason think these guys won’t combine to shoot around 35 percent next year. Probably higher in fact. If they can be responsible for 90 percent of the 3s we take defenses will have to stay honest. Just because you dont understand the significance of 31% versus 35% doesn’t make that not true. 

I don’t know if this applies because I haven’t read all the posts but.

This season our 3 point percentage was worst in program history. Last season was 2nd worse in program history.

Morgan, Romeo, Smith weren’t good three point shooters. Al and Devonte are super streaky. I don’t know about Phin, but he wasn’t good either.

That’s why we set a program record.

We need new personnel IMO. Our guys will get better but will it be enough.

13 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

I forgot to mention a healthy Race Thompson. If this team can stay healthy, we can be really really good.

Did you go to Fantasy Land for spring break?????? I am not gonna say anything bad about Brunk after what he has been through after high school, but come on. I am just as big of Butler fan as IU, but he was playing on a team that was one of the worst teams in a conference that was really bad this year. None of these teams(Big East) had very strong inside games at all. A lot of his stats came against the weaker non conference teams. When I heard of the transfer I was thinking (Ball State,Miami of Ohio, Indiana State) than I was IU. Then I see all of this on here about a lot of people excited about him. Is it because he WAS a top 100 recruit and from Indiana coming out of high school??? Things change, and in this situation expectations should be a lot lower than they were 3 years ago. You want a good example of kids being over-rated in high school, go dig up a video of Southport vs Connersville in the 2016 regional.

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This season our 3 point percentage was worst in program history. Last season was 2nd worse in program history.

Morgan, Romeo, Smith weren’t good three point shooters. Al and Devonte are super streaky. I don’t know about Phin, but he wasn’t good either.

We need to get better for sure, but people are romanticizing this idea of having entire team of lights out shooters on the roster. 

Good 3 point shooting comes down to the right guys taking the shot. 

Look at the 2016 team 4 guys made a 3 a game at a 40%+ kick.  That was a special team. The year before we had 2.  And for the most part those guys were the ones shooting the most 3s

If Rob can continue his pre concussion numbers or even build on that combined with Al continued development to maybe a 38% tick. I think we will be fine it won’t strength it won’t be the strength that Crean had. But it won’t be the weakness this year we experienced. 

Your 5th and 6th best rotation 3 point shooters should not be taking over 5 3s a game

Did you go to Fantasy Land for spring break?????? I am not gonna say anything bad about Brunk after what he has been through after high school, but come on. I am just as big of Butler fan as IU, but he was playing on a team that was one of the worst teams in a conference that was really bad this year. None of these teams(Big East) had very strong inside games at all. A lot of his stats came against the weaker non conference teams. When I heard of the transfer I was thinking (Ball State,Miami of Ohio, Indiana State) than I was IU. Then I see all of this on here about a lot of people excited about him. Is it because he WAS a top 100 recruit and from Indiana coming out of high school??? Things change, and in this situation expectations should be a lot lower than they were 3 years ago. You want a good example of kids being over-rated in high school, go dig up a video of Southport vs Connersville in the 2016 regional.

Honestly worried about this as well. Butler was bad this year. Should have been a year to get minutes and showcase. He didn’t. Idk. I’m reserved here.

I was initially excited because he was a top recruit and he is big. But after some research my excitement was tempered.

I will say this. He’s better than Fitzner. No question in my mind.

Some like to use this as a reason to justify our struggles and why they aren’t Archie’s fault, be we have shooters that aren’t improving and others that look worse over time.

So, while we may not naturally have a great team of shooters, it is alarming the lack of progression/improvement and even in some cases regression. Our free throw shooting and 3 point shooting is horrendous and I cannot help but think that has to be tied to the way we practice and weight train. If it was one guy that would be different but it’s not.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Honestly worried about this as well. Butler was bad this year. Should have been a year to get minutes and showcase. He didn’t. Idk. I’m reserved here.

I was initially excited because he was a top recruit and he is big. But after some research my excitement was tempered.

He’s better than more or Fitzner and he at least knows how not to foul out in 4 minutes. 

His efficiency numbers were high as well. Perhaps he just wasn’t a fit for the system. 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Just think of it like this and you'll be happy:

Swapping Moore for Brunk.  If we get 5 ppg and 5 rpg and solid interior defense for 2 years, then we'll get more out of him than Moore.

But he's not the missing piece we're looking for, not by a long shot.

Just think of it like this and you'll be happy:
Swapping Moore for Brunk.  If we get 5 ppg and 5 rpg and solid interior defense for 2 years, then we'll get more out of him than Moore.
But he's not the missing piece we're looking for, not by a long shot.

We really don’t know this. Moore had some good moments when he got on the court and I could see him going to another school and having more of an impact than Brunk has here.

He was in Archie’s doghouse for whatever reason but he could have helped us down the road with more playing time

Didn’t Rob’s shot fall off after his concussion? If I recall correctly he was shooting 3s at a 40% clip prior. Could be wrong though. I definitely think he can be a capable shooter.

I think he can be capable too. He's got nice form and looks pretty fluid shooting off the dribble, but the results aren't there yet. I'm not too worried about him though. Yogi was a pretty bad shooter his freshman year too. I'd imagine different level of weight training + speed of the game + being the primary ball handler is a lot for a freshman to handle. I hope he takes a leap next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m interested in seeing if Smith figures it out. Fish made a comment late in the season in an interview with Dakich, that Smith has better averages than Morgan did as a sophomore. I haven’t looked to see if that was accurate and what stats in particular he was referencing. But he was basically saying don’t give up on him yet. 

The difference to me was it seemed JMo made a ton of hustle plays his freshman and sophomore years. His scoring wasn’t needed with Yogi, JBj, Z3, OG, ETC. He made an impact with hustle plays. I don’t see a lot of hustle plays from Smith unless he’s going to get a dunk or layup attempt.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

The difference to me was it seemed JMo made a ton of hustle plays his freshman and sophomore years. His scoring wasn’t needed with Yogi, JBj, Z3, OG, ETC. He made an impact with hustle plays. I don’t see a lot of hustle plays from Smith unless he’s going to get a dunk or layup attempt.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

This so much. Juwan his Freshmen year helped us beat Kentucky and it was almost all Hustle. Once in a blue moon did we see Hustle from Smith