Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

I know a lot of people think we need another guard but I do think we need another big to survive in the big ten. 

We need both. Big time.

Another big and a guard that is a three point threat that can score and  help spread the floor.

Hopefully they are both Sheehey or Yogi type personalities.

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

We need both. Big time.

Another big and a guard that is a three point threat that can score and  help spread the floor.

Hopefully they are both Sheehey or Yogi type personalities.

Idk all 3 of our guards could shoot it at a 35% clip. Our bad 3 point shooting was primarily the result of 2 bad shooters shooting them a lot. 

Now don’t get me wrong if we can get a 3 and D guy to come take Romeos spot if jump on it. No more guys who can’t play D. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Idk all 3 of our guards could shoot it at a 35% clip. Our bad 3 point shooting was primarily the result of 2 bad shooters shooting them a lot. 

I  do not think any of our competitors defenses were disrupted because they were afraid of us from the perimeter. We need someone that will alter their defenses.

1 minute ago, DChoosier said:

I  do not think any of our competitors defenses were disrupted because they were afraid of us from the perimeter. We need someone that will alter their defenses.

Why would they they knew our offense wasn’t getting the shots to the right people. When a guy who is like 7th on the team in 3 percentage is taking the most other teams aren’t going to worry. 

Why would they they knew our offense wasn’t getting the shots to the right people. When a guy who is like 7th on the team in 3 percentage is taking the most other teams aren’t going to worry. 

I agree we often did not get the ball to players in  places  in which they could score.

That being said.....You seem to think we had guys that could stretch/alter defenses.  Who?

Al had his games but in plenty of others it was clank city (and I really like Al as he was one of the few that always seemed to care and put out effort). Rob was inconsistent. Fitz was very inconsistent. Smith is only a three point shooter in his mind. Green definately had his moments but  I think we need another shooter. Really need another shooter.

24 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree we often did not get the ball to players in  places  in which they could score.

That being said.....You seem to think we had guys that could stretch/alter defenses.  Who?

Al had his games but in plenty of others it was clank city (and I really like Al as he was one of the few that always seemed to care and put out effort). Rob was inconsistent. Fitz was very inconsistent. Smith is only a three point shooter in his mind. Green definately had his moments but  I think we need another shooter. Really need another shooter.

Smith, Green, Al and Rob shot 35% plus.  3 are underclassmen. 35% is more than enough to keep a defense honest. 

As I said if there’s a 3 and D wing out there I lm all for adding them. I’m not sure there are many out there though. 

Shooting is an issue. I think the far bigger issue is that we almost never had the tallest guy on the court and sometimes didn’t even have the second tallest. 

Smith, Green, Al and Rob shot 35% plus.  3 are underclassmen. 35% is more than enough to keep a defense honest. 

As I said if there’s a 3 and D wing out there I lm all for adding them. I’m not sure there are many out there though. 

Shooting is an issue. I think the far bigger issue is that we almost never had the tallest guy on the court and sometimes didn’t even have the second tallest. 

I agree we need a big but think we will have room for both a big  and shooter. Watching Auburn, Purdue, Texas Tech, Virginia, etc etc etc I would really like to have a shooter that scares the heck out of the defense when getting into position to shoot.  We have guys that get hot but no one that stretches  defenses out to the perimeter. There would be times when Romeo would get the ball 15 feet out (instead of a useless handoff from the top of the key) and all 5 defenders would be below the free throw line because they were not remotely worried  about our perimeter.

Just now, DChoosier said:

I agree we need a big but think we will have room for both a big  and shooter. Watching Auburn, Purdue, Texas Tech, Virginia, etc etc etc I would really like to have a shooter that scares the heck out of the defense when getting into position to shoot.  We have guys that get hot but no one that stretches  defenses out to the perimeter. There would be times when Romeo would get the ball 15 feet out (instead of a useless handoff from the top of the key) and all 5 defenders would be below the free throw line because they were not remotely worried  about our perimeter.

I think we are agreeing and perhaps misunderstood you. 

I think we need another perimeter player as well. But if we can only have one I would chose a big such as Brunk. We have the scholarship and would love to get a 3 and D guy. No more Fitzners whose only contribution if any would be shooting.  

8 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

For those of us not from souther Indiana, what exactly does this mean?

Floyds Knobs (FK in his username, but Floyd Central High School) and New Albany are local rivals. 

Floyds Knobs (FK in his username, but Floyd Central High School) and New Albany are local rivals. 

I remember when at Floyd Central we release about 30 white mice in NAHS with SONA painted in red on their backs. SONA stands for $hit on New Albany. lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

It’s not always about how he directly matches up with the opposing player at his position. Deron, when on the floor, can hold his own. I think Brunk is much more equipped to come in and provide meaningful minutes when Deron has to go to the bench. He’s high IQ, has size, plays with energy on the defensive end and will have fresh legs and fouls to give. Not to mention that TJD will very likely have an advantage at the 4 offensively and is arguably the best shot blocker in this years class. Many of his blocks come from him being on the help side. If we add Brunk and TJD to a roster with a healthy Deron Davis, I believe we have a very formidable front court. We were desperately needing a rim protector and someone who could give us meaningful minutes when Deron was on the bench. Deron wasn’t our best player but he was the most important in regards to us being able to match up. 

Barring another swath of injuries to key players, I expect us to have a much better defensive team next season. We could be elite defensively. The pieces are there. Whether the staff can get them to that point is the big question for me. 

I forgot to mention a healthy Race Thompson. If this team can stay healthy, we can be really really good.

Green is the only one of them to shoot 35%, although Al was close. Rob was 31% and Smith was 22%. So no, we don't have shooters to keep teams honest, at least not yet. I'm hopeful that Al and Rob can take steps forward. Smith's shot is broken, so he's only going to get better if he reworks his shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Green is the only one of them to shoot 35%, although Al was close. Rob was 31% and Smith was 22%. So no, we don't have shooters to keep teams honest, at least not yet. I'm hopeful that Al and Rob can take steps forward. Smith's shot is broken, so he's only going to get better if he reworks his shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They shot 35% as a group. If they are taking the 3s that keeps the D honest.  That’s more than a point per attempt. Similar to any 2 point shot short of a dunk or layup. 

Rob was nearly 40% during his non concussed play. 

Al was near 35% 

And Devonte was 41%. 

Thats more than enough to keep teams honest especially if Phinisee and Al can further improve. 

Not to mention Hunter is supposed to be a fantastic shooter. It was a known strength and the staff was even surprised how good he was. 

15 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They shot 35% as a group. If they are taking the 3s that keeps the D honest.  That’s more than a point per attempt. Similar to any 2 point shot short of a dunk or layup. 

Rob was nearly 40% during his non concussed play. 

Al was near 35% 

And Devonte was 41%. 

Thats more than enough to keep teams honest especially if Phinisee and Al can further improve. 

Not to mention Hunter is supposed to be a fantastic shooter. It was a known strength and the staff was even surprised how good he was. 

I think that part of the issue that the Rob really started getting tentative to shoot threes....and Smith didn't.  I thought Rob passed up a lot of good looks because he lost his confidence.