Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

I don't see how a slow start necessarily means a lack of preparation, that's just one of many, many possibilities. Could've just as easily been a lack of sleep for one or more key players or a breakup or family issue or something totally unrelated to basketball. It could be nerves. It could be anything. 

I get why there can be a drive to fill in the blanks sometimes on things we don't know - like the gross Romeo rumor - but the wild speculation doesn't actually get us any closer to understanding anything meaningful even if it might feel that way. 

13 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

They lost to OSU because their effort sucked.  Just like they missed the tournament because they went nearly 2 months thinking effort was optional and opting out.

This team beat MSU and Wisconsin without being fully healthy.  Let's stop making excuses.

So....they essentially played four straight elimination games and we should focus on the one loss?

19 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Lack of preparation? Lol. They weren’t practicing all year? Aight.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Did they look prepared to play at the beginnings of games to you?

It wasn't just MSU, twice, and Wiscy we beat with injuries either.  We crushed Marquette.
Did injuries help?  Of course not.  They weren't the back breaker though, a total lack of effort far too often was.

Injuries are going to keep a team from being consistent though. Yes, teams can be good when everything is clicking. But they're going to keep a team from being in synch. When guys can't play together consistently and aren't able to get good practices, they're going to be unsure on the court, especially when most players are freshmen and sophomores. That's going to manifest in a number of ways, but when guys aren't comfortable on the court, that's often going to look like a lack of effort. There's no excuse for jogging down the court, and some of those types of plays that we saw. But I think a lot of what looked like lack of effort was just a team that struggled to gel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Injuries are going to keep a team from being consistent though. Yes, teams can be good when everything is clicking. But they're going to keep a team from being in synch. When guys can't play together consistently and aren't able to get good practices, they're going to be unsure on the court, especially when most players are freshmen and sophomores. That's going to manifest in a number of ways, but when guys aren't comfortable on the court, that's often going to look like a lack of effort. There's no excuse for jogging down the court, and some of those types of plays that we saw. But I think a lot of what looked like lack of effort was just a team that struggled to gel

We gelled well enough to start the season 12-2 and finish it 6-2. But yeah the team wasn’t gelled for the 1-12 stretch. 

19 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

So....they essentially played four straight elimination games and we should focus on the one loss?

I didn't focus on one loss.  I also mentioned the fact they mailed it in for the better part of two months, which is why those late games even mattered that much.

Bingo. We had what a 20 point lead on a Maryland and gave it away. Don’t tell me we were too injured to run with them. 

We were too injured to run with them, and we only led by 14. We gave up that lead exclusively because of Smith's foul trouble, which forced Fitzner into too much playing time. We had no Davis (he played 4 minutes) or Thompson in that game. I believe Fitzner was -20 for the game in 18 minutes. We got outrebounded by 17, and Maryland had 18 offensive boards. Fitzner against Fernando and Smith is a crazy mismatch. Effort alone isn't going to keep up with the strongest front line in the Big 10.

If Davis had been healthy, that's likely a win.

We gelled well enough to start the season 12-2 and finish it 6-2. But yeah the team wasn’t gelled for the 1-12 stretch. 

We had some luck in the 12-2 stretch (and beat a number of bad teams) and some bad luck in the 1-12 one. We won a number of one possession games early that could have gone either way, but we pulled them out with timely shots at the end. We also got run off the court by Duke, so it's not like we were really good, even at 12-2. We lost those ose games during the losing streak. Ohio State, Iowa 2x, Purdue were all games that we were in and got crushed by bad luck when the other team made some miracle shots.

Yes, the team played worse during the losing streak, but we were never as good as we thought at 12-2 or as bad as it felt when we went 1-12

Did they look prepared to play at the beginnings of games to you?

Depended on the game. I’ve haven’t watched a team yet in college basketball that looked prepared to play at the beginning of every game played in a season. Hall of Fame coaches better then Archie had teams this year that looked unprepared.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Depended on the game. I’ve haven’t watched a team yet in college basketball that looked prepared to play at the beginning of every game played in a season. Hall of Fame coaches better then Archie had teams this year that looked unprepared.

Ok.  But this team.  Did they look prepared to play at the beginnings of the games this season?  They certainly did not to me as they fell into a massive hole to start most every game.  I really don't even think that's debatable.  They were atrocious at the beginnings of games and it killed our season.

Ok.  But this team.  Did they look prepared to play at the beginnings of the games this season?  They certainly did not to me as they fell into a massive hole to start most every game.  I really don't even think that's debatable.  They were atrocious at the beginnings of games and it killed our season.

Yes they looked unprepared in games this year, just like Duke looked unprepared in games this year. Duke fell behind in lots of games this year. Only difference was their talent overcame their slow starts and they would eventually take control. IU margin of error was smaller and they were not able to overcome their slow starts in some games. Is it something I hope gets fixed next year? absolutely. IU and Archie are not the only team and coach that has to deal with slow starts is all I’m saying. I watched it all year for lots of teams and coaches

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

De'ron came back during that 6-2 stretch, which also included Devonte being back from suspension. But sure injuries and absences don't mean anything.

1 minute ago, Aeggie said:

De'ron came back during that 6-2 stretch, which also included Devonte being back from suspension. But sure injuries and absences don't mean anything.

Deron played 9 games of that 13 game stretch and Devonte played 10. And primarily the games they missed were in the smack dab middle. 

But hey don’t let facts get in the way 

Just now, jbell833 said:

Ohio State just got a commit from big man Ibrahim Diallo...gotta think they aren’t pursuing Joey Brunk anymore. I’d expect an announcement of Brunk to IU very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don’t get this thinking. Kid is a project Brunk would be expected to contribute right away. 

I guess my thing is that for people who are expecting those blue blood results haven’t been paying attention to the last 25 years or more importantly just want to ignore them and want to automatically skip the necessary steps it is going to take to get back to those type of schools or even the steps it’s going to take to even get to that second group your mentioned.  You are correct that results speak.  The results over the last 25 years have said IU is  4th  in wins in the state of Indiana alone  and 42 overall (Wichita St, West Virginia, Iowa St, and Dayton) are the teams near IU.  44th in winning percentage (Dayton, Michigan, Iowa st, Miami, Missouri) are the teams near IU.  Regular season championships IU is 37th with 3 in 25 years (Maryland, Marquette, Georgetown, oregon, LSU) are teams tied with them at 37.  This is not the company any fan positive or negative about IU wants to be in but this is where we are.   For me personally I figured this was going be a grind and battle for Archie to reshape this broken program.  I picked IU 6th this year preseason in the B1G even with Romeo coming.  There were just too many things that had to go right in my opinion for them to contend for an upper place finish.  Lucky for IU basketball is unpredictable and never set in stone.  Oklahoma should of been worse this year losing Young and their other best players last year but they ended up going further in the tournament.  Texas Tech should of been worse this year but as we saw shattered that opinion.   Will IU be better? Don’t know but I’ve seen enough examples to give me optimism just like I’ve seen enough examples to give me pause.  I truly believe IU can and will get back in those 2 groups you were talking about I just think it’s going to take a lot longer then most on here we’re thinking and hoping for. 

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Yes they looked unprepared in games this year, just like Duke looked unprepared in games this year. Duke fell behind in lots of games this year. Only difference was their talent overcame their slow starts and they would eventually take control. IU margin of error was smaller and they were not able to overcome their slow starts in some games. Is it something I hope gets fixed next year? absolutely. IU and Archie are not the only team and coach that has to deal with slow starts is all I’m saying. I watched it all year for lots of teams and coaches

That's wonderful, but I don't care about other teams.  Our constant slow starts regardless of the opponents is my concern.  To me, it shows a lack of preparation. 

If it continues next year, Archie needs to feel a blazing hot seat.  It's unacceptable imo.

That's wonderful, but I don't care about other teams.  Our constant slow starts regardless of the opponents is my concern.  To me, it shows a lack of preparation. 
If it continues next year, Archie needs to feel a blazing hot seat.  It's unacceptable imo.

That’s marvelous, but I do care about other teams. All I was doing was pointing out it happens to a lot of other teams(which now I know you don’t care for). To me, it shows even hall of fame coaches can show a lack of preparation.