Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

12 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I disagree if he is part of the culture problem. Idc how talented he is. When you have obvious issues with the coach on the court and your dad is calling him out on Twitter, that’s a massive issue. We don’t need that in the program

Yes, and I commented on another post he should go if that is for sure the case.  

On 4/5/2019 at 8:11 AM, AKHoosier said:

What you said is true, but I just wouldn't count on that out of some players who shall remain nameless.

If you haven't shown enough consistency and focus after your sophomore year, especially when your team needed you to, then you probably won't in your next two years.  You are who you are at this point.

Maybe that's a coaching issue too, I don't know.

Players definitely aren't finished products after their sophomore year, it wasn't that long ago that Yogi got better his junior year and his senior year too. Troy had a much stronger junior season that his sophomore year. Most rising juniors can still get a lot better, whether they do or not is up to them but they have a chance to do that. We've seen players that haven't always had enough consistently and focus as sophomores become really strong upperclassmen here at Indiana and around the country.

I think having more upperclassmen on the roster next year is ideal so I'm hoping we retain Durham and Smith. Durham had a better season than most expected so I'm excited to see what he could do in another summer and Justin still has a chance to turn things around. We'll see but if he wants to buckle in and return I think keeping someone that has been drilling our defense's principles as long as Justin has is probably preferable to most of the new pieces we could get with another available spot. We already have 3 spots to fill. We're not going to be able to add 4 players better than Justin.

Edited by Aeggie

The other day I wrote about watching Justin Smith and a lot of you got the wrong impression. Let me explain since I was a wee bit inebriated.

The whole time he was at this party he seemed uncomfortable, and for a good portion of it he was right in front of where I was standing so it wasn’t like I was studying him from afar. He was right there. Anyways, in the past JBJ, OG, Thomas Bryant, and more would come through and talk to everyone. Justin wasn’t like that. He stood around his couple guy friends and didn’t want to be recognized. To me, that’s odd. You’re a celebrity on campus and people want to see you. Then he put his hood over his hair. I thought that was bizarre. To me, that says something about his confidence levels but maybe I’m looking too far into it. I’d expect him to want to entertain others like former players did in the past, and he didn’t want that at all.

All in all, seems like a decent dude...just not what I’d expect from an iubb player. Wish him the best no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

16 minutes ago, IUHoosier5 said:

The other day I wrote about watching Justin Smith and a lot of you got the wrong impression. Let me explain since I was a wee bit inebriated.

The whole time he was at this party he seemed uncomfortable, and for a good portion of it he was right in front of where I was standing so it wasn’t like I was studying him from afar. He was right there. Anyways, in the past JBJ, OG, Thomas Bryant, and more would come through and talk to everyone. Justin wasn’t like that. He stood around his couple guy friends and didn’t want to be recognized. To me, that’s odd. You’re a celebrity on campus and people want to see you. Then he put his hood over his hair. I thought that was bizarre. To me, that says something about his confidence levels but maybe I’m looking too far into it. I’d expect him to want to entertain others like former players did in the past, and he didn’t want that at all.

All in all, seems like a decent dude...just not what I’d expect from an iubb player. Wish him the best no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It could just be that he wanted to enjoy a night out without the usual fanfare he gets being an IU player. The attention's probably cool sometimes, but it would kinda suck to never be able to go out without people flocking to you. Especially if you have more of a reserved personality and aren't outgoing like a Thomas Bryant. 

It could just be that he wanted to enjoy a night out without the usual fanfare he gets being an IU player. The attention's probably cool sometimes, but it would kinda suck to never be able to go out without people flocking to you. Especially if you have more of a reserved personality and aren't outgoing like a Thomas Bryant. 

Yep, you could totally be right.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 4/11/2019 at 10:37 PM, Iugradman said:

IU was the healthiest it had ever been against Ohio State and laid a complete egg in what was essentially an NCAA tournament play-in game.

The health of 1 or 2 games isn't the important factor, it's having the opportunity to gel and for guys to get used to their proper role.

On 4/11/2019 at 4:17 PM, MikeRoberts said:

Crean did that pretty regularly. Would you say he crushed it in recruiting?

It’s about getting who you want and we have seen kid after kid say no to us. That’s not momentum. McDonalds all-American or 3*, it doesn’t matter. I just want Archie to get the guys he goes after and he hasn’t been

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Who gets all the guys they want?

On 4/11/2019 at 9:37 PM, Iugradman said:

IU was the healthiest it had ever been against Ohio State and laid a complete egg in what was essentially an NCAA tournament play-in game.

Cool....they were at their healthiest (sans Hunter still) and had players still trying to gel because they had hardly been on the court together all season.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:39 PM, Iugradman said:

Archie Miller is not Tony Bennett. Bennett took Washington State to the Sweet Sixteen. Pullman is a basketball wasteland. There are far more coaches who had two bad first years and ended up getting fired than there are coaches who ended up being successful. 

Yawn.  And Archie Miller took Dayton to the Elite Eight.

On 4/11/2019 at 10:37 PM, Iugradman said:

Deron got limited mins, Race wasn’t near ready to get big mins, Hunter missing, romeo playing with a bad shooting hand. Being the healthiest they’d been all season doesn’t really say much imo.

10 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

They lost to OSU because their effort sucked.  Just like they missed the tournament because they went nearly 2 months thinking effort was optional and opting out.

This team beat MSU and Wisconsin without being fully healthy.  Let's stop making excuses.

Bingo. We had what a 20 point lead on a Maryland and gave it away. Don’t tell me we were too injured to run with them. 

Injuries can have a cumulative effect. That we were able to overcome them in some instances doesn't make it an excuse. Playing more minutes than usual, playing outside of your normal role, getting scoring from further down the bench... sure it can work sometimes. Sometimes a player like Justin Smith will hit 3 threes and post a career high and you can beat MSU without all of your players but that's not a sustainable formula and it's not on the coach if they can't keep bottling lightning over and over. 

Cool....they were at their healthiest (sans Hunter still) and had players still trying to gel because they had hardly been on the court together all season.

Another problem with guys being injured is that it really impacts your ability to have good competitive practices. When you consistently have 4 rotation players injured, you're not going to have good practices. Even guys that were playing were having to be cautious in practice. I doubt Zach and Deron did a full practice all season. We all wanted Archie to push guys harder in practice, but I'm not sure he could. He didn't have a full team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Bingo. We had what a 20 point lead on a Maryland and gave it away. Don’t tell me we were too injured to run with them. 

It wasn't just MSU, twice, and Wiscy we beat with injuries either.  We crushed Marquette.

Did injuries help?  Of course not.  They weren't the back breaker though, a total lack of effort far too often was.

29 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

It wasn't just MSU, twice, and Wiscy we beat with injuries either.  We crushed Marquette.

Did injuries help?  Of course not.  They weren't the back breaker though, a total lack of effort far too often was.

I feel like it was one part lack of effort and one part lack of preparation.  Those slow starts due to lack of preparation killed us.