Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So?  It just as easily could have dropped in the tourney. 

Not if you won games in the tourney. If you lost one game in the tourney it would have been to a likely top 25 KenPom team.

Two more wins almost anywhere on our schedule and Archie would've had the top season (other than Will Wade who had a hell of a year, despite being a cheating fraud) of second year coaches.

This season rode the line of exceeding expectations and falling short. There are a million reasons anyone could point to to explain this, but end of the day, Archie and boys didn't get it done. They'll get another shot this year, and I like to believe the returning personnel had a major year of learning and mental growth.

Our defensive improvement year-over-year is what has me so optimistic.

Just now, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Not if you won games in the tourney. If you lost one game in the tourney it would have been to a likely top 25 KenPom team.

Two more wins almost anywhere on our schedule and Archie would've had the top season (other than Will Wade who had a hell of a year, despite being a cheating fraud) of second year coaches.

This season rode the line of exceeding expectations and falling short. There are a million reasons anyone could point to to explain this, but end of the day, Archie and boys didn't get it done. They'll get another shot this year, and I like to believe the returning personnel had a major year of learning and mental growth.

Our defensive improvement year-over-year is what has me so optimistic.

That’s a big if. TBH

IMG_0114.thumb.jpg.c79fa64873794e0b5f077bfdc0c14382.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just from looking at that list I would guess that Archie has the most wins against tournament teams this year then the other coaches (Minus Wade)

42 minutes ago, Feathery said:

The other coaches wins in the post season tournaments are part of their records listed as well. 

Right, but most of those guys' postseason wins were in the NCAAT, not the NIT.  That was more my point.

2 hours ago, AKHoosier said:

Right, but most of those guys' postseason wins were in the NCAAT, not the NIT.  That was more my point.

Most? I see 2 with wins in the NCAA, Hopkins and Holtmann. Archie is on schedule. If he made the NCAAT this season he would have been ahead of schedule. 

Most? I see 2 with wins in the NCAA, Hopkins and Holtmann. Archie is on schedule. If he made the NCAAT this season he would have been ahead of schedule. 

Being “on schedule” might be accurate on the macro level but since we look at things in the micro level it is good to get this macro reminder. That being said, there are legitimate concerns that developed this year on the micro level.

That mid season slide, questions about his ability to coach a one and done, currently stalled recruiting, challenges getting players to play with effort, 3pt and FF shooting, and limited examples of player development (that differentiate us from other teams our level) are all red flags that give concern that Archie may have trouble becoming a top tier coach at IU.

I am hopeful Archie can get it done here and that we can somehow build a strong team (like Purdue did this year) with unheralded players. But there are many legitimate concerns after 2 years. Most of these concerns are just unresolved questions at this point. Some are acting as if Archie is definitely bad in these areas and we just don’t have enough information to conclude yet.

I would feel a lot better if we had fallen a little short but had competed hard every game. I would also feel better had our recruiting momentum not stalled. I still have hope but i would have hoped our list of doubts about our coach would have shrunk but the way this year went that list got bigger for me.

That’s great. Unfortunately, here we are. Archie isn’t mediocre just because the program has bottomed up in the past two decades. It’s going to take a lot of work to build Indiana back up to where everyone expects.

If I were grading him for the first two years I would give him a C-. That needs to be up to a B after next year imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Feathery said:

These are only opinions, of course, but I don’t see how you think he is on schedule.  Due to the injuries I’d give him a C so far with the sincere hope that he aces the next 20 years.  I just have a tough time agreeing a coach that started with Romeo and Morgan, has not instilled his supposed “tough guy” mentality after two years, loses 12/13, watches Smith “dog it” in first halves but starts him in the second and has multiple games in which players openly admit they did not bring it...including a virtual play-in game against OSU, is on schedule.  

16 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Being “on schedule” might be accurate on the macro level but since we look at things in the micro level it is good to get this macro reminder. That being said, there are legitimate concerns that developed this year on the micro level.

That mid season slide, questions about his ability to coach a one and done, currently stalled recruiting, challenges getting players to play with effort, 3pt and FF shooting, and limited examples of player development (that differentiate us from other teams our level) are all red flags that give concern that Archie may have trouble becoming a top tier coach at IU.

I am hopeful Archie can get it done here and that we can somehow build a strong team (like Purdue did this year) with unheralded players. But there are many legitimate concerns after 2 years. Most of these concerns are just unresolved questions at this point. Some are acting as if Archie is definitely bad in these areas and we just don’t have enough information to conclude yet.

I would feel a lot better if we had fallen a little short but had competed hard every game. I would also feel better had our recruiting momentum not stalled. I still have hope but i would have hoped our list of doubts about our coach would have shrunk but the way this year went that list got bigger for me.

Good post. 

I don’t think recruiting has stalled at all. We are bringing in a 5* McD All American and another top Indiana kid. I’m bullish on Franklin after watching him play. He is much better than previous IU commits and players who were ranked higher, Ron Patterson and Jeremy Hollowell. Stalled would be bringing in a few 3*’s. The class isn’t finished yet, but I hope we get some veteran transfers to help with “getting old”  

I listened to a interesting take on one and dones by Seth Greenberg. His take on one and dones are you don’t take them as a developing team, unless you can get several at once. He pointed out several examples of it not working. That is creates locker room issues bc of jealousy. Nobody is there who is going through what the one and done is going through. So it makes it tough. This wasn’t something that I had really thought about before. 

Good post. 
I don’t think recruiting has stalled at all. We are bringing in a 5* McD All American and another top Indiana kid. I’m bullish on Franklin after watching him play. He is much better than previous IU commits and players who were ranked higher, Ron Patterson and Jeremy Hollowell. Stalled would be bringing in a few 3*’s. The class isn’t finished yet, but I hope we get some veteran transfers to help with “getting old”  
I listened to a interesting take on one and dones by Seth Greenberg. His take on one and dones are you don’t take them as a developing team, unless you can get several at once. He pointed out several examples of it not working. That is creates locker room issues bc of jealousy. Nobody is there who is going through what the one and done is going through. So it makes it tough. This wasn’t something that I had really thought about before. 

I like both Franklin and TJD but they committed back in the fall. Since then recruiting “seems” to have stalled. No one knows what traction we really have behind the scenes with kids and it is possible that the staff is being patient. However, there is a legitimate concern now that since the fall our recruiting has stalled.

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

These are only opinions, of course, but I don’t see how you think he is on schedule.  Due to the injuries I’d give him a C so far with the sincere hope that he aces the next 20 years.  I just have a tough time agreeing a coach that started with Romeo and Morgan, has not instilled his supposed “tough guy” mentality after two years, loses 12/13, watches Smith “dog it” in first halves but starts him in the second and has multiple games in which players openly admit they did not bring it...including a virtual play-in game against OSU, is on schedule.  

Yep, they are opinions. My expectations for any coach coming in (Same for Crean a decade ago) was and still is:

Year 1: Stabilize the program. Recruit well. Build lasting recruiting ties within the state.

Year 2: stack a 2nd recruiting class and increase the win total. 

Year 3: make the NCAA tournament, stack a 3rd class. 

Year 4: Make the 2nd weekend, Stack a 4th class. 

How the moving parts happen, I don’t care.  Is there room for improvement? Sure. No coach is perfect and there will be growth opportunities for Archie. But overall, he is on schedule and needs to continue that trajectory.  Now if we stall and don’t make the NCAA next year, then I’ll be with you on being concerned. 

I like both Franklin and TJD but they committed back in the fall. Since then recruiting “seems” to have stalled. No one knows what traction we really have behind the scenes with kids and it is possible that the staff is being patient. However, there is a legitimate concern now that since the fall our recruiting has stalled.

We've missed on one target since then and none of our other targets have committed anywhere. Recruiting is generally slow in all of college basketball during the season. Seems a bit premature to make any judgments. Let's see who Archie gets this spring before saying anything about recruiting momentum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I think they are being patient. I’ve got some friends who want IU to pass on Leal. I think you need to take him, as he is a hometown kid who gets it. He will put his heart and soul into being a Hoosier. To me that goes along way for developing the kind of culture Archie wants. He might not be a top 50 kid nationally, but last I looked he is a top 75/100, 4 year kid. 

We didn’t have another scholarship until Moore put his name in the portal yesterday. We missed out one 1 kid, Brooks. That’s not stalling. We are looking at bringing in grad transfers at this point. Which is a smart move, considering what I think the Big Ten will look next year. 

My point isn’t that recruiting has stalled but that there are a lot of new questions right now regarding whether or not Archie is the guy or not. True missing on one recruit does not definitively equal stalled but it does currently add more doubt.

That was the point of my post. That while the macro measure of where we are after 2 years may suggest we are on schedule there are several micro concerns surrounding Archie and the program. I am hopeful that we start to see things that answer some of these questions or resolve the doubt but for now they are fair concerns.

For example, if we go and pick up some legitimate recruits or grad transfers (especially ones that are likely to play a big role) then that will he’ll resolve my concerns that recruiting has stalled. Brink would be a good get but probably not at the TJD or even Franklin level.

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I think they are being patient. I’ve got some friends who want IU to pass on Leal. I think you need to take him, as he is a hometown kid who gets it. He will put his heart and soul into being a Hoosier. To me that goes along way for developing the kind of culture Archie wants. He might not be a top 50 kid nationally, but last I looked he is a top 75/100, 4 year kid. 

I’m with you on this if he projects (I have no idea) to be at least a decent backup. In another thread I mentioned hearing a Brian Snow podcast in which he said none of the last three Indiana native 5 stars (TJD, Brooks, Romeo) grew up being IU fans. Culturally/program/locker room I think the program needs some players that bleed IU.