Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

55 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

We are having patience. Next year is already the third year and we need to start see this thing moving in the right direction by then including making the ncaa.I do not think that in an unrealistic expectation at all

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I see a lot of belly aching, that’s not people being patient. We both agree that we need to make the dance in year 3. You need to get their in 3 years at a school like IU. I’m not going to be critical of Archie in year 2, when year 3 is the time we actually see what we have. I’m a believer that you give the man some breathing room and let him work. Let the results on the court decide. So far I’ve seen improvement from year 1 to 2, with a post season north. That’s a positive trajectory. Could it have been better? Sure. But it wasn’t and it doesn’t directly impact my daily life. It does impact Archie’s, he knows where the teams needs to be and he is looking to make it right. Relax. If we don’t make the dance next year, his seat will be red hot in year 4. But his roster should look damn good by then too. 

Patience hasn't been IU's problem; they've kept bad coaches for too long that's not a patience issue.
I think we have been one of the most patient fan bases in the nation. I mean crean got three years where you could not even question him. That included his third year debacle. Davis missed the tourney two straight years and was kept.

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Bruce Pearl talk got me thinking.

At freaking Auburn, for basketball.

Year 1 15-20
Year 2 11-20
Year 3 19-14
Year 4 26-8
Year 5 29-9 and counting.

Archie better get some dudes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Archie has done better in his first 2 years here than Pearl did at Auburn, as he should. Took Pearl 4 years to get it going down there and he is a damn good coach. 

I see a lot of belly aching, that’s not people being patient. We both agree that we need to make the dance in year 3. You need to get their in 3 years at a school like IU, if your the right guy. I’m not going to be critical of Archie in year 2, when year 3 is the time we actually see what we have. I’m a believer that you give the man some breathing room and let him work. Let the results on the court decide. So far I’ve seen improvement from year 1 to 2, with a post season north. That’s a positive trajectory. Could it have been better? Sure. But it wasn’t and it doesn’t directly impact my daily life. It does impact Archie’s, he knows where the teams needs to be and he is looking to make it right. Relax. If we don’t make the dance next year, his seat will be red hot in year 4. But his roster should look damn good by then too. 
True but you do not want a situation where you go into a 4th year with a red hot coaching seat. Recruiting will be dead.

2 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

I think we have been one of the most patient fan bases in the nation. I mean crean got three years where you could not even question him. That included his third year debacle. Davis missed the tourney two straight years and was kept.

Patience hasn't been a problem.  Keeping bad coaches too long has.  Making excuses instead of holding expectations has.

2 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

True but you do not want a situation where you go into a 4th year with a red hot coaching seat. Recruiting will be dead.

Nope. And neither does Archie which is why you see him looking for veterans to come in this offseason. No reason to complain about a year from now, when we don’t know what the roster will look like or what the outcomes of the games will be. 

Recruiting may not be dead if we miss next year because look at the experienced talent that will be on the roster that 4th year. That is shaping up to be a really good team. Win a lot then and you can recover in recruiting. 

I have no doubt in my mind Archie can get us to the Crean level of being good every 3-4 years. The question I have is, once that teams run is over, did he build for sustained success?  I won’t get that answer for a few more years but I’m liking the strategy so far. 

Bruce Pearl talk got me thinking.

At freaking Auburn, for basketball.

Year 1 15-20

Year 2 11-20

Year 3 19-14

Year 4 26-8

Year 5 29-9 and counting.

Archie better get some dudes.

So we know that Bruce Pearl is both an excellent and winning coach who cheats and probably recruits dirty.

It took him 4 full seasons to make the tournament and have the success they’re having now.

Patience.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Archie had more talent than pearl in year 2 

Yes and he won more. What’s the point? I’m a huge Pearl fan and it has taken him, like most top coaches, 4 years to build his program. You have to get your guys, then as the mature develop them. 

Just now, Feathery said:

Yes and he won more. What’s the point? I’m a huge Pearl fan and it has taken him, like most top coaches, 4 years to build his program. You have to get your guys, then as the mature develop them. 

He won more but I don’t think people thought that Pearl underachieved for his talent in year 2. 

People forget that while not only are the players developing and adapting to a new culture while said culture is not even fully established, so is CAM. This is his first high major. He didn't come into this thing knowing the exact right coaching techniques, decisions, schemes, etc to make from day one. That also takes a little *gasp* time. He came from Dayton. And sure, he has been an assistant at a higher level than Dayton, but I'd venture to say that's not exactly the same. Throw in all the potential background noise of this particular season that's now beginning to rise to the surface and you don't have an environment conducive to anyone's development, seasoned or not.

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

For me personally. I was always giving him 4 years. Maybe even 5.

Doesn’t mean I won’t be grumpy along the way if we stink. Lol.

If we stink in year 4 I doubt there will be a chance for a successful year 5. Will be too toxic then 

So we know that Bruce Pearl is both an excellent and winning coach who cheats and probably recruits dirty.

It took him 4 full seasons to make the tournament and gave the success they’re having now.

Patience.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
Quit. Logic not allowed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He won more but I don’t think people thought that Pearl underachieved for his talent in year 2. 

Bc they had realistic expectations? I hoped for a NCAA tournament birth and we were close. I didn’t expect it in year 2.