Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Morton is 50ish. But he is being recruited by everyone. We don’t lead. Also not a day 1
Difference maker. Leal? Eh, I guess. Not awfully impressed. Galloway? Less impressed.
Love? I don’t know what our connection is to him. Lots of volume shooter, overrated reactions.

2020 is an odd class.

Look at 2019. Thought we had a chance with Hurt, Watford, Stewart, Brooks, TJD and some guys like that. TJD is a huge get. We got 1. Franklin seems solid. On par with Newman for Purdue. Type of kid Notre Dame, Purdue gets on the regular. Maybe Archie will win with guys like that.

We targeted better players. Are we seeing a recruiting shift by the staff already? Or is 2020 just an odd cycle?

From everything I heard in Fort Wayne, if the Romeo experiment went well we would have got Brooks. That was the measuring stick in the Brooks recruitment. Been told this by friends for Brooks.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m not surprised. Romeo never looked like an NBA player. The Brooks family doesn’t know if that’s the system or Romeo. They chose the safe pick for their goals. Now still think there was a better choice than Kentucky but of the two it was the right call

Morton is 50ish. But he is being recruited by everyone. We don’t lead. Also not a day 1
Difference maker. Leal? Eh, I guess. Not awfully impressed. Galloway? Less impressed.
Love? I don’t know what our connection is to him. Lots of volume shooter, overrated reactions.

2020 is an odd class.

Look at 2019. Thought we had a chance with Hurt, Watford, Stewart, Brooks, TJD and some guys like that. TJD is a huge get. We got 1. Franklin seems solid. On par with Newman for Purdue. Type of kid Notre Dame, Purdue gets on the regular. Maybe Archie will win with guys like that.

We targeted better players. Are we seeing a recruiting shift by the staff already? Or is 2020 just an odd cycle?

From everything I heard in Fort Wayne, if the Romeo experiment went well we would have got Brooks. That was the measuring stick in the Brooks recruitment. Been told this by friends for Brooks.

I have no doubt what went on this season changed brooka mind. In november he sounded like a lock but the longer he waited the worse our chances got. Romeo waiting helped us. Opposite with brooks.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2020 is an odd class.

Imo romeo was the worst possible 5 star kid for our iu team this year. He couldn't shoot threes and neither could anyone else. His only real weapon was driving and making a tough shot. He wasn't a one man wrecking crew and his personality was sleeping man. Nothing against him and his great skill just a bad fit imo

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Archie HAS to bring in two immediate impact guys for next year. That is on top of Hunter coming back. Our bench is weak with mostly a couple role players at best. If it doesnt happen and we hang around .500 next year  its essentially over. Honestly IF weve lost recruiting momentum right now then its essentially over and just a matter of time. Pressure is on right now.

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

I think somebody else had said he schedule was not very difficult. Different shooting wide open three in hs vs the big ten big with a hand in your face.

Sagarin rated their schedule this season as the 79th toughest out of the 101 teams in 4A.  I think in the regular season Damezi's senior they only played one ranked team and they were a 3A school.

I teach in NWI and talked to another scorekeeper about Anderson and Phinnissee when they were seniors as his team had played both schools.  He said you really couldn't tell how good Anderson was because of the amount of talent he had around him but that RP carried his team.  FWIW, Phinnissee's team went 7-15 without him this year while Riley -- which lost three D1 players -- went 19-5.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, AKHoosier said:

I really dislike being pessimistic, but I can't help but feel like a downer when I think of next year.  I honestly don't see much improvement unless we land some more recruits or impact grad transfers.

My gun-to-the-head prediction for next year's starting lineup is:

Phinisee
Green
Smith/Durham
TJD
Davis

That starting lineup will be good enough for maybe 5th in the B1G.

Good..very good prediction..with off season progress maybe better

Archie HAS to bring in two immediate impact guys for next year. That is on top of Hunter coming back. Our bench is weak with mostly a couple role players at best. If it doesnt happen and we hang around .500 next year  its essentially over. Honestly IF weve lost recruiting momentum right now then its essentially over and just a matter of time. Pressure is on right now.
I agree i do not know why some people keep saying he gets four years no matter what. He has to make a major stride including the tourney or year 4 well...

I agree i do not know why some people keep saying he gets four years no matter what. He has to make a major stride including the tourney or year 4 well...

Because that’s how they feel it’s called their opinion not yours just like it’s your opinion that he shouldn’t get 4 years.......

21 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

No they said he gets 4 no matter what. All I said is that is no sure thing as they claim.

Both are opinions. 

Not a terribly difficult concept to grasp. 

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

It would definitely be helpful for Archie to bring in 2 immediate impact guys. My question is, do you see 2 high impact guys AVAILABLE that he can bring in to help next year? Can't say that I really do. I think those horses are already out of the barn. If this is true? What do you see happening going forward? I can't say that I see any giant gains coming next year. Incremental at best. 

43 minutes ago, jonz44 said:

It would definitely be helpful for Archie to bring in 2 immediate impact guys. My question is, do you see 2 high impact guys AVAILABLE that he can bring in to help next year? Can't say that I really do. I think those horses are already out of the barn. If this is true? What do you see happening going forward? I can't say that I see any giant gains coming next year. Incremental at best. 

Looks like it would have to be the transfer route.

One of the problems that some see as developmental issues are a direct result of team injuries. Hard to develop younger guys when they can't practice or have limited time against better players in practice.
This. It seems some choose not to realize this. 4 or 5 of our expected top 8 or 9 spent significant time injured. To expect them, especially the underclassmen to develop while injured makes no sense to me. Not to mention forcing players to play out of position.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Several have commented on '20 recruiting and right now it seems to be a bit of a mystery.  We have formal offers out to Nimari Burnett, Andre Jackson, Isaiah Jackson, Caleb Love, Zach Loveday and Ethan Morton but we aren't hearing a lot about any of them in regards to their degree of interest in IU.

The in-state '20 class is weak in comparison to '19 and '21.  Galloway, Leal and Ivey are the highest rated in-state kids and yet for whatever reasons none of them has an IU offer.  The upcoming AAU season should shed more light on just what direction our '20 recruiting is headed and I certainly anticipate a number of additional offers being extended.  But from what we see today, '20 recruiting is a big ?.