Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

After a year with the MSU staff. No guarantee that would have happened here 

Yes, because nobody at IU has gotten better under Archie... As has been discussed many times, Henry is a good player with a bright future, but we need shooters, so prioritizing one made sense. In hindsight it doesn’t look great, but the logic was fine. Henry’s progression this year has been impressive, but he’s also been able to play a pretty specific role around a lot of very good upperclassmen. That’s a great environment to learn, and he’s taken full advantage. But that’s a much different environment than our young guys have had.

If Henry had come to Indiana, Archie would have been criticized for taking another slasher who can’t spread the floor. I know he’s hit some 3s tonight, but he’s made 12 all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 players out of 14. I’m no math expert but seems like a bad percentage. 
Damezi looked just as good if not better in high school. The fact one looks lost now probably a result of the different environments. 

Race, Jerome, Zach, and Deron were either injured or rehabbing all year, so they don’t count. Jake was never expected to play. Getting strong takes time. Rob, Al, And Juwan performed admirably. DG improved throughout the year. Damezi and Smith were disappointing, but that’s about it. I didn’t watch Damezi in high school, but I believe most in here didn’t think he would play or contribute much as a freshman. He definitely didn’t look great, but hopefully he can pick it up on defense

You guys have watched Henry play this year when he has struggled right? I mean he hasn’t been killing it on the court the whole year if you have had the chance to watch his games. He has played in over 30+ games. Clearly he has had a better opportunity to contribute to his team more then others have. He had a stretch where he was awful and got benched. He has also had games where you could see the bulb go off and you can see the potential. I’ve made no secret about my admiration for his game and how much I wanted him to come to IU out of all the 2018 kids. It didn’t happen and I moved on. I still love watching him play every game I just wished it was for the Hoosiers

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Sure would have been nice to have Aaron henry.

He has clearly been coached and developed nicely. Peaking at the perfect time for izzo. He will tear up the big ten probably as he gets older.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2 players out of 14. I’m no math expert but seems like a bad percentage. 
Damezi looked just as good if not better in high school. The fact one looks lost now probably a result of the different environments. 
A player looked better playing 4A high school basketball than in D1 and the best basketball conference!?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Race, Jerome, Zach, and Deron were either injured or rehabbing all year, so they don’t count. Jake was never expected to play. Getting strong takes time. Rob, Al, And Juwan performed admirably. DG improved throughout the year. Damezi and Smith were disappointing, but that’s about it. I didn’t watch Damezi in high school, but I believe most in here didn’t think he would play or contribute much as a freshman. He definitely didn’t look great, but hopefully he can pick it up on defense

Damezi was surrounded in high school by two other D1 seniors in high school and a pretty easy schedule for a 4A school.  Too much o administration and parents thinking thy run the program.  Head coach Mark Johnson was pushed out after Damezi's junior season after going 246-130 in 15 years because he refused the demands of administration to pick the number of players he kept and being told of certain players he wasn't allowed to cut.  Damezi's senior year Riley went 26-1 with their only loss being to Carmel at semistate under first year coach Eric Brand....and he resigned at the end of the year and went to Southport. 

Bottom line, the coaches at Riley were pretty handcuffed in their actual ability to coach and discipline.

Damezi was surrounded in high school by two other D1 seniors in high school and a pretty easy schedule for a 4A school.  Too much o administration and parents thinking thy run the program.  Head coach Mark Johnson was pushed out after Damezi's junior season after going 246-130 in 15 years because he refused the demands of administration to pick the number of players he kept and being told of certain players he wasn't allowed to cut.  Damezi's senior year Riley went 26-1 with their only loss being to Carmel at semistate under first year coach Eric Brand....and he resigned at the end of the year and went to Southport. 
Bottom line, the coaches at Riley were pretty handcuffed in their actual ability to coach and discipline.
I think somebody else had said he schedule was not very difficult. Different shooting wide open three in hs vs the big ten big with a hand in your face.

Interesting, this is a thread about where this program will go, but all I see is people whining about the past.

Not one person knows where this program will go that I am 100 percent sure of. I think after watching more other teams play we need guys who care and want to play for iu. Represent the history of the program. I hope archie can convey that going into next season

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

One of the problems that some see as developmental issues are a direct result of team injuries. Hard to develop younger guys when they can't practice or have limited time against better players in practice.
To a certain extent but guys like fitzner and anderson missed wide open threes on many occasions. Those two were suppose to be our three point shooters.

Not one person knows where this program will go that I am 100 percent sure of. I think after watching more other teams play we need guys who care and want to play for iu. Represent the history of the program. I hope archie can convey that going into next season

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

We need an an guy as an assistant.

We have a top 10 paid coaching staff with their sole purpose to figure this stuff out and perform at a higher rate. 2 years in, its been ugly.

Archie’s offense is stagnant. I hope shooters make it look better (and it will to an extent) but I’m concerned it still will look about the same.

We aren’t killing it in recruiting. The Romeo experiment goes down as a likely failure.

Momentum is way down.

I don’t think Archie has an identity for how he wants to recruit and win at Indiana.

Next year is likely make it or break it time. (Although Archie will get a 4th year even if we miss the tournament again).

2020 recruiting seems behind already. Who are the difference makers we have a chance with?

Reasons for concern......

Reasons for hope.......

1. TJD, Phinisee, Hunter and maybe Green. I like Durham but he should be a 7th/8th man on a good team.

2. Coaching staff hasn’t resorted to cue cards yet.

We have a top 10 paid coaching staff with their sole purpose to figure this stuff out and perform at a higher rate. 2 years in, its been ugly.

Archie’s offense is stagnant. I hope shooters make it look better (and it will to an extent) but I’m concerned it still will look about the same.

We aren’t killing it in recruiting. The Romeo experiment goes down as a likely failure.

Momentum is way down.

I don’t think Archie has an identity for how he wants to recruit and win at Indiana.

Next year is likely make it or break it time. (Although Archie will get a 4th year even if we miss the tournament again).

2020 recruiting seems behind already. Who are the difference makers we have a chance with?

Reasons for hope.......

1. TJD, Phinisee, Hunter and maybe Green. I like Durham but he should be a 7th/8th man on a good team.

I have not seen us mentioned with any top 50 2020 guys. I think until we start winning recruiting will take a hit.

Momentum is way down.

Reasons for hope.......

Recruiting success or lack of success can be an interesting topic. Some would say back to back McDonald’s AA would be a form of success. Also in his first 2 years he did something that hasn’t been done since 1997-1998. The last time IU landed back to back me basketballs was Recker and Coverdale. So far 2/2 early on for Archie(TJD is going to win). Archie has finally been told no by a high level recruit from Indiana. Know we see how the staff will respond. Plenty of time reflect and come back reenergized and ready for a fresh start next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I have not seen us mentioned with any top 50 2020 guys. I think until we start winning recruiting will take a hit.

Morton is 50ish. But he is being recruited by everyone. We don’t lead. Also not a day 1
Difference maker. Leal? Eh, I guess. Not awfully impressed. Galloway? Less impressed.
Love? I don’t know what our connection is to him. Lots of volume shooter, overrated reactions.

2020 is an odd class.

Look at 2019. Thought we had a chance with Hurt, Watford, Stewart, Brooks, TJD and some guys like that. TJD is a huge get. We got 1. Franklin seems solid. On par with Newman for Purdue. Type of kid Notre Dame, Purdue gets on the regular. Maybe Archie will win with guys like that.

We targeted better players. Are we seeing a recruiting shift by the staff already? Or is 2020 just an odd cycle?

From everything I heard in Fort Wayne, if the Romeo experiment went well we would have got Brooks. That was the measuring stick in the Brooks recruitment. Been told this by friends for Brooks.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app