Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

I have little reason to believe next year will be any better. This program is stuck in mediocrity absent major structural changes.
Come on drink the kool aid. Things will be kust fine

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

After next year, and I hope that is a Tournament run and a 22-8 record.....we have to stop with "these aren't Archies players" "these players don't fit his system" blah blah blah.   I think the Team is in the exact same position it was when we fired Crean, after two years. If I hired a Sales guy and his sales were the same after two years...buh bye.   Archie isn't running some special system that takes three years and 300 classroom hours to learn.  Most teams basically run all the same stuff.  Players need to learn to play with each other AND anticipate each other.  The Coaches job is to find the line up that does that the best and to find substitution patterns that don't kill the team.

Archie didn't inherit a program that was awful, Crean did.  I'm not a big fan of Crean's, especially his in game decisions.  BUT..I'm a huge fan of Creans ability to spot potential talent and then to develop it.  I'm not seeing any of that.  I actually thought DeRon looked much better this year than last, other than that...they were all roughly the same players.

This talk of "rebuild" is the biggest pile of participation trophy horse turds that I've ever seen. We just aren't getting better.   I'm not saying Archie is the problem, but, he has to be the solution.  Next year he will be Coaching for his job.  I really don't want Glass making another hiring decision (my opinion)...Archie won't survive missing the Tournament next year...take that to the bank ..... Glass insulted the BOT when he said "rebuild"...I should say I know he insulted at least one because that person told me.."Yeah..that was insulting..he thinks we are f'ing morons". (maybe the second time I've heard him swear, the first time was talking to him about the Watford shot)

Lot's of pressure next year....I honestly hope Archie does it and makes many of us eat crow.  Go Hoosiers!
If i thought things looked like they were moving forward nicely id be much more optimistic. Boy next year is just massive for archies future. Massive.

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

Well if we see no transfers and bring in no shooters it may be a long season.

I don’t agree with that. Our shooting woes are in large part bc 2 of the highest volume shooters, Romeo and Morgan, were 2 of the worst % shooters. Phinisee, Durham, and Green are all adequate shooters. Hunter can shoot it from deep, and I’m confident he will play. Once the game slows down for Damezi, he will be a 40% plus shooter. 

51 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Just a friendly reminder that I’m not going to make any serious judgements until year four. Enjoy your wallowing!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Heard the same nonsense about Crean warning signs are warnings regardless when they happen 

I don’t agree with that. Our shooting woes are in large part bc 2 of the highest volume shooters, Romeo and Morgan, were 2 of the worst % shooters. Phinisee, Durham, and Green are all adequate shooters. Hunter can shoot it from deep, and I’m confident he will play. Once the game slows down for Damezi, he will be a 40% plus shooter. 
Agree to disagree but I do not agree with your assesment at all. You got teams hitting darn near 50 percent from three tonight. As far as anderson well he better have the biggest summer of his life.

After pondering the meaning..... of IU basketball the past couple days, and much discussion with IU buds....

I think having a one and done this year was actually a set back. I don't think I want another one and done until we develop a solid base of kids in the system. i'd be ok with 3 one and dones at the same time though :-)

at minimum, we need strong leadership next season. not sure who that will be. 

After pondering the meaning..... of IU basketball the past couple days, and much discussion with IU buds....
I think having a one and done this year was actually a set back. I don't think I want another one and done until we develop a solid base of kids in the system. i'd be ok with 3 one and dones at the same time though :-)
at minimum, we need strong leadership next season. not sure who that will be. 

Not that I’m disagreeing with your point. But imagine a top 10 pick one and done going to any other Big10 school and someone from that fan base saying what you just said.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

After next year, and I hope that is a Tournament run and a 22-8 record.....we have to stop with "these aren't Archies players" "these players don't fit his system" blah blah blah.   I think the Team is in the exact same position it was when we fired Crean, after two years. If I hired a Sales guy and his sales were the same after two years...buh bye.   Archie isn't running some special system that takes three years and 300 classroom hours to learn.  Most teams basically run all the same stuff.  Players need to learn to play with each other AND anticipate each other.  The Coaches job is to find the line up that does that the best and to find substitution patterns that don't kill the team.

Archie didn't inherit a program that was awful, Crean did.  I'm not a big fan of Crean's, especially his in game decisions.  BUT..I'm a huge fan of Creans ability to spot potential talent and then to develop it.  I'm not seeing any of that.  I actually thought DeRon looked much better this year than last, other than that...they were all roughly the same players.

This talk of "rebuild" is the biggest pile of participation trophy horse turds that I've ever seen. We just aren't getting better.   I'm not saying Archie is the problem, but, he has to be the solution.  Next year he will be Coaching for his job.  I really don't want Glass making another hiring decision (my opinion)...Archie won't survive missing the Tournament next year...take that to the bank ..... Glass insulted the BOT when he said "rebuild"...I should say I know he insulted at least one because that person told me.."Yeah..that was insulting..he thinks we are f'ing morons". (maybe the second time I've heard him swear, the first time was talking to him about the Watford shot)

Lot's of pressure next year....I honestly hope Archie does it and makes many of us eat crow.  Go Hoosiers!

Crean could spot talent and develop it because he used 2 more scholarships more per year than most of the rest of the Big Ten.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

13 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Not here to do anything but point things out :

1)  Indiana played less than 5 games this season with every available player healthy.  If it wasn't Thompson, it was Davis.  If it wasn't Davis it was Green.  If it wasn't Green it was Phinisee (and I don't think he was really "back" for a few weeks).  If it wasn't Phinisee it was McRoberts.  Then it was Langford.  And Thompson again.  And Morgan for a short time

2)  Morgan - as good as he was, played out of position for 2 years.  Since we had trouble shooting for whatever reason, he got doubled a lot and couldn't be as effective.   That's just a sad truth.  Davis was not yet mobile enough (and may never be) to allow Morgan to play the 4 and have a consistent post partner.   

3)  Romeo's agenda hurt.  He was very clearly not on the same page with the others; and I will submit a terribly disappointing player, despite scoring 16.5.  (And I don't buy that he was out with a bad back for one second)

4)  Because Davis was limited, we had very little depth in the front court, and were forced to play Fitzner in spots he just wasn't used to because Moore is Godawful and Forrester just wasn't ready yet.

5)  Durham, a sophomore was our only high-minutes player who was healthy all season, and not only were we thin up front, we were equally so in the back court.   

6)  Not having Hunter hurt us.  No if's, and's or but's.  Especially so with the OTHER injuries and Anderson not being close to ready.  (I sawe that guy stand around in high school, and it worried me.  Reminded me a lot of how Jeremy Hollowell played.  In a perfect world, he and Moore would transfer, and we'd add a couple of grad transfers or incoming freshmen.  One big and a couple of shooters to replace the would-be 5 openings we'll have to add to Franklin and Jackson-Davis.

7)  Sometimes...the pieces just don't fit.  We had pieces that didn't fit, others that weren't ready to play; others who tried to do things they can't do, and it just didn't work.   I truly believe Archie learned some things this season.   It was subtle, but I saw growth in him and a couple of players, including Green, as much as he frustrated the holy hell out of me.   I'm here to tell you....Frankin will help.  Who knows what opportunity he'll get, but the last game I saw him play was against Lawrence North, who has at least 2 D1 kids, and he scored an easy 30.  He did what Romeo does and he's a better shooter.  Not THE shooter we need, but better; and he's very long and explosive.   Jackson-Davis is also going to help.  With those 2 and Hunter, I already think we gain more than we lose; and if we add other pieces, that gap widens.  Plus another year of improvement and maturity for Green, Phinisee, Durham, Davis, and Thompson?   And a 3rd year in a system with coaches who are more comfortable?   I like our chances to be better.  I also think adding multi-year players is a good thing and the new option for high school players will help Indiana.   We can get better talent than Purdue. We simply need to so simple things like value the ball and rebound.  Shooting will come...Archie HAS to prioritize that, and he knows.   Lots of reasons this season was difficult, and I don't think they're excuses.  

If you want to get technical, they played no games with everyone healthy since Hunter didn't play all year.

On to next year.

29 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Crean could spot talent and develop it because he used 2 more scholarships more per year than most of the rest of the Big Ten.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I understand the point you are making.....but when those 2 more scholarships are going to players like Bawa Muniru, Peter Jurkin, Jeremiah April, Tim Priller, Gelon Grant.....I'm not sure you can't really spot talent.  I think the two guys whose talent exceeded expectations were Oladipo and Anunoby.  And Anunoby really didn't get a chance to showcase anything because of how short he was here and injury.