Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

The Season Is Finally Over, Now Where Does This Program Go?

42 minutes ago, tortex28 said:

Wichita state only missed the tournament this year. I think they had been every year since 2011. No team makes the tournament every year. He's has a very good track record though.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Yes he is very good but I was commenting on someone saying he was light years ahead of Archie. This is his 12th season at WSU, took him 5 years to get them to the NCAA and of course, they missed this year. 

Dakich isn't a coach making millions for a reason.  He wasn't that good of a coach!  He was an assistant working in the shadow of Bob Knight.  I'm not sure he is really qualified to critique a program at any level.  If he knew it all and what it takes to build a program, or how to coach like he thinks he does, wouldn't he be the one making millions leading a program to the NCAA tournament every year?   I appreciate all that he did (or claims to have done) for IU, but come on, pipe down Danny!  This routine of bashing the coaches and players of IU is getting old, IMO.
I do not think he was that far off talking about how the program should be established by now in year two.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

I do not think he was that far off talking about how the program should be established by now in year two.

I'm not interested in turning this into a Dan Dakich thread but ... below isn't exactly the record of a coach who had it all figured out.  

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Bowling Green (Mid-American Conference) (1997–2007)
1997–98 Bowling Green 10–16 7–11 8th  
1998–99 Bowling Green 18–10 12–6 4th  
1999–00 Bowling Green 22–8 14–4 1st NIT First Round
2000–01 Bowling Green 15–14 10–8 7th  
2001–02 Bowling Green 24–9 12–6 3rd NIT First Round
2002–03 Bowling Green 13–16 8–10 9th  
2003–04 Bowling Green 14–17 8–10 7th  
2004–05 Bowling Green 18–11 10–8 8th  
2005–06 Bowling Green 9–21 5–13 10th  
2006–07 Bowling Green 13–18 3–13 12th  
Bowling Green: 156–140 89–89

I get it but i have had hope for 20 years and kind of have run out of hope. I guess at this point im not optimistic so maybe i will be pleastently surprised next year. Certainly wont be as frusturating for me.

I went into this season knowing we’d win about 15 games in the regular season. We won 17. Still super frustrating though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Wichita state only missed the tournament this year. I think they had been every year since 2011. No team makes the tournament every year. He's has a very good track record though.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Great programs make it every year or incredibly close. How many times has Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas, Gonzaga, MSU, OSU missed in the last 20-25 years?

8 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Weird how you would tell a fan bye rather than attempt to feel them back in... doesn’t make much sense.

If you have to be 'felt back in', don't think you'll stay long.  If you want to leave, go.  It's likely someone blowing off steam, but honestly I'm at an age where I don't have the desire to convince someone that they need to root for someone.

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

If you have to be 'felt back in', don't think you'll stay long.  If you want to leave, go.  It's likely someone blowing off steam, but honestly I'm at an age where I don't have the desire to convince someone that they need to root for someone.

You're right, it's probably someone blowing off steam.

I mean I couldn't stop rooting for IU even if I wanted to.  I'd only have enough clothes to last about 3 days!

13 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Great programs make it every year or incredibly close. How many times has Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas, Gonzaga, MSU, OSU missed in the last 20-25 years?

OSU doesn't belong in that group.  For the record, they've missed the tourney 12 times since 1993.

Disappointed in how this season went but I’m cautiously optimistic about next year.

This is a team that was about 5 key plays away from the NCAA tourney despite injuries, locker room problems/suspensions and a general lack of shooters. We went 8-7 in games where the margin was less than 7 points.  

Things I’ll be looking for next year:

Archie- Slow starts must end and the bench must have viable contributors. Both were deciding factors in our losses.  How does our incoming class fill out?

Al- Needs a consistent jumper. I’d also like to see him gain a few pounds to be a stronger finisher at the rim.

Devonte - made strides in his maturity and decision making. Keep at it. 

Rob- Excited to see his freshman jump. 

Deron - Let’s see what he does with a rehab free off season. 

Justin -  Probably gone. Looked completely checked out in his post game. If he comes back the game must slow down for him.

Romeo - Can’t quantify, but just think he’s more valuable to IU as a former player. 

Edited by Jasonb

So many questions going into next year. 

-Can we find a legit PG to help RP?

-Can we bring in a grad transfer or frosh who is a dead eye shooter ?

-How do Al and Green shoot next year? 38%+ for both would be sooooo helpful. 

-Can DeRon stay healthy? His presence and passing out of the post are great. 

-Will Justin Smith return? If so, what role does he play? What role does he want to play?

-Can TJD replace some of the offensive production and rebounding we will miss from Morgan?

-Will Hunter come back healthy? This may be the #1 most important questions. I like what I am hearing thus far from his recovery. 

-Can Race get 15 minutes a game. His presence on the boards are crazy, but can his work on O improve?

-Damezi will have every opportunity to step up. Between him and Arrmon Franklin one will be needed to put in 10-15 mins a game next year. 

Its easy to point fingers at Smith and I've done a lot of it. But he was only a soph this year. Kid still has two year of improvement ahead of him. 

1 hour ago, InArchWeTrust said:

I'm not interested in turning this into a Dan Dakich thread but ... below isn't exactly the record of a coach who had it all figured out.  

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Bowling Green (Mid-American Conference) (1997–2007)
1997–98 Bowling Green 10–16 7–11 8th  
1998–99 Bowling Green 18–10 12–6 4th  
1999–00 Bowling Green 22–8 14–4 1st NIT First Round
2000–01 Bowling Green 15–14 10–8 7th  
2001–02 Bowling Green 24–9 12–6 3rd NIT First Round
2002–03 Bowling Green 13–16 8–10 9th  
2003–04 Bowling Green 14–17 8–10 7th  
2004–05 Bowling Green 18–11 10–8 8th  
2005–06 Bowling Green 9–21 5–13 10th  
2006–07 Bowling Green 13–18 3–13 12th  
Bowling Green: 156–140 89–89

yea, just look at those last two years in conference, 8 total wins in two years. somebody lost their grip on the program me thinks.

How about next year? Right now I would say something like 18-14.

Yea that sounds about right. I don’t see much difference between this year and next. NW, Rutgers will still suck. Minnesota might take a step back. MSU, UM and Ohio State will be good. Nebraska could be good. Purdue could be good. Indiana seems to be the only team staying where they are.