Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Coaching Carousel

I still wonder if Alford ends up anywhere this offseason. Would he take a mid-major job, or would he hold out for a Power 5 gig? Would a Power 5 school want him? He reportedly was "in the mix" at Arkansas, but I'm not sure how much I believe that ... He seemed to be a pretty good fit at New Mexico, then bolted for the bright lights and big city of L.A. And I've read that ever since he left, UNM has been a dumpster fire. Sometimes, the best move is to not make a move. ... Would Nevada be a fit? I would think Reno might not be a bad place to live (though I've never been there) ... I guess we'll just have to wait and see ... 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

I still wonder if Alford ends up anywhere this offseason. Would he take a mid-major job, or would he hold out for a Power 5 gig? Would a Power 5 school want him? He reportedly was "in the mix" at Arkansas, but I'm not sure how much I believe that ... He seemed to be a pretty good fit at New Mexico, then bolted for the bright lights and big city of L.A. And I've read that ever since he left, UNM has been a dumpster fire. Sometimes, the best move is to not make a move. ... Would Nevada be a fit? I would think Reno might not be a bad place to live (though I've never been there) ... I guess we'll just have to wait and see ... 

There's a couple decent coaches out there now that are circling the drain looking for jobs - Steve Alford, Mike Anderson, Billy Kennedy, Tim Miles, Thad Matta (If he is really looking). Alford might be the best of them. 

Steve enjoyed the most success at New Mexico. Honestly, I think Nevada is the best out there at the moment. He's been living in the West for a while now. Cinci is another one to watch. American conference so not a lot of big time competition. 

California - (Wyking Jones to Retire) - Hired Mark Fox (Former Georgia Head Coach 2017-2018)

BYU - (Dave Rose to Resign) - Hired Mark Pope (Utah Valley Head Coach)

Tennessee Tech - (Steve Payne) - Hired John Pelphrey (Alabama Assistant Coach)

Stetson - (Corey Williams) - Hired Donnie Jones (Dayton Assistant Coach)

Southern Miss job is open ... I'm guessing he wouldn't want to go to Mississippi, but to me, this would be a good test for someone like Fife. He's probably not ready for a place like Cincy, and although C-USA usually only gets one NCAA bid, it's a decent mid-major league.

On 4/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, Str8Hoosiers said:

Hope he got a lump sum payment vs the standard payment unless he’s hired someone else to offset. I think he should have gotten more time at UCLA but whatever. Also, just watched the 87 final four game against UNLV in a high scoring barn burner. Everyone said we couldn’t run with the runnin rebels but we shut up all the detractors including Billy Packer by the end of the game. Also funny to see Bob Knight at his nicest I’ve ever witnessed. Good stuff for you youngins to watch. At halftime Knight mentions in 16 years at IU only 2 players hadn’t graduated. What other blue blood could say that?

l5vr0zOp_bigger.jpgJeff GoodmanVerified account @GoodmanHoops
FollowingFollowing @GoodmanHoops
More

Arizona State and Bobby Hurley have agreed to a new five-year deal, source told @stadium. Hurley was pursued by St. John’s, but opted to remain in Tempe - where he will try and take the Sun Devils to the NCAA tourney for the third straight season.

6:18 PM - 11 Apr 2019

Former UCLA coach Steve Alford has been signed to a 10-year deal to become the next coach at Nevada, the school announced on Thursday. 

Alford was fired 13 games into his sixth season in Westwood after the Bruins started with a 7-6 record that included a four-game losing streak and home losses to Belmont and Liberty. He will succeed Eric Musselman, who left Reno last week to take the same position at Arkansas.

Alford be introduced Friday afternoon at 11 a.m. ET.

"There is no better coach than Steve Alford to continue the rise of Nevada basketball and we are excited for the next chapter," Nevada athletic director Doug Knuth said in a statement released by the school. "To get a leader of Coach Alford's caliber is a testament to the support of our community and our university. There is a great tradition of Wolf Pack basketball and the future is even brighter."

Alford recruited at a high level at UCLA with top-25 recruiting classes in each year and three top-10 classes overall, including top-six classes in his final two years. But his demise with the Bruins was expedited by his lack of postseason success. He missed the NCAA Tournament just once (twice including his shortened final season), but only thrice advanced to the second weekend of the tournament and never made the Elite Eight.

"To be able to continue my career in a tight-knit community that has demonstrated its support for the basketball program is exactly the opportunity that Tanya and I were looking for, and we are thrilled to be in Northern Nevada," Alford said. "I can't wait to get to work as we look to build off the established tradition and momentum of this great program. I want this to be the last stop of my coaching career."

At Nevada, expectations for Alford will be tempered compared to UCLA. Though the Wolf Pack made the NCAA Tournament in each of Musselman's final three seasons and posted consecutive 29-win seasons before he left, the program is expected to experience a talent exodus. As a result, Alford could be undertaking a minor rebuild, though Nevada has recruited at a high enough level to compete at the highest level in the MWC.