Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

NIT Round 2 Game Thread - IU vs. Arkansas | 3/23 (Sat.) @Noon (ET) on ESPN

Don't want to neglect mentioning the unbelievable defense we played late today.  That was impressive.

Your boy Phinisee was huge in that facet of the game. When you first started your praise for him on this forum I quickly hopped on board after finding some clips of him. He’s going to be one of my favorite Hoosiers ever.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He's shown his entire career he can't.  Serious question..why do you think he can?   Dakich was right...is this about what Dakich said or what you think Smith can do?  Smith is a one dribble guy or a catch and shoot guy (from 10-12 feet).  He can run in transition; but he's never shown he can handle the ball in transition.  

It's about what Dakich said. I don't think Smith is a skilled perimeter player, but the majority of his offensive plays involve putting the ball on the floor and slashing to the hoop. I'm not saying he should be leading the break, but he needs to be able to take a couple dribbles without plowing into a guy who was set 20 feet in advance. Smith scores a lot in transition on similar plays.

This was one of the worst games Smith has played recently. He was out of control from the start. The Smith that showed up the last 5ish games of the year would not have made that charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Yep.  If he can just limit the "bad DeVonte."    He's so good when he just plays under control and so completely awful when he makes bad decisions, lazy passes, and tries to do things on his own.  Today he showed both.  Enough to help us win and enough to get us beat. I mean seriously...kid has balls.  Let's just say it.   But he led the team in turnovers again and took at least 3 horrible shots.  Yes....he made big shots.  Yes...he rebounded well.  Yes...he hit big free throws when few others did or could.  We won in large part because of him.  Had we lost?  It would have been in large part because of him.   Just get rid of the bad stuff!   

I think this a fair assessment. It will really be important next season on what appears to be a team very short on play-makers. If Green hero-balls it, then the NIT might be the ceiling. If he plays smart- could be a pleasant surprise....maybe. I'm pretty pessimistic after the disaster of 2018-19. Hard for me to see a team without Romeo and Juwan being better, even without the rash of injuries. 

I have been a huge critic of Green. But if he stays and continues to build off these last few weeks, I will be more than happy. Bad Green still tries to come out once in awhile, but good Green has the upper hand right now. I can live with that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just finished watching the game on DVR. Fun game for the neutrals, pure hell if you were rooting for IU or Arkansas. 35 games in or whatever and we still can't figure out what 100% means starting the game; doesn't matter if the game starts at noon, midnight, or any game in-between. There were a couple times when Arkansas made big runs(to begin and the couple minutes after the big dunk to start the 2nd half) where we could've capitulated but we seemed to have some revolve and get a run back of our own to keep the game close.

Props to the crowd that showed up. Between 500 quals, High School finals, and a noon start, it would've been easy to have a smattering of folks amongst the 1st 15 rows. When ESPN went to break, there was a few rows of people in the balcony. Heck, there's been plenty of B1G games in the last few years where the balcony was lonely and miserable.

Yeah....we can't criticize DeVonte for taking bad shots that he makes and simultaneously criticize Al for taking good shots that don't.

Al is 10 for his last 42 from 3. Just because it's open doesn't mean it's a good shot.

That said, Al needs to keep shooting. We need him to be a reliable 3 point shooter next year, and asuch as I'd like to win the lottery, I'm more focused on these guys getting better for the '19-'20 season. But at this point I think I feel more confident in a "bad" Devonte 3 than when our other guys shoot in rhythm. Since the Wisconsin win, our non-Green 3 point shooters are 22-94 (23%). That is embarrassing and needs to be fixed. Over the same time period, Green is 21-38 (55%). If Green can consistently shoot 40+%, he should shoot pretty much anytime he's open, including early in the shot clock because it's a high percentage shot.

I'm excited as hell for IU bball again. Let's hang a banner!! 

Everyone looks locked in except Smith (and Juwan randomly). That's really all I want to see to finish the year. But Smith... Yikes.. minimal minutes.

Al, keep shooting buddy. Line that thing out because we're going to need it these last few game.

And that defensive combo of Green/Phinisee is a nightmare for opposing teams. That is a killer development!

Not sure if Al was shooting this way early in the season, but he's not been getting his shoulders and feet square. He's got his left shoulder out front. His arm action is perfect, but he needs to work on his lower body squaring up. Nothing as bad as Jowan, who has his feet at almost a 90 degree angle to the hoop, but enough that it's going to cause inconsistency. He's made so much progress with his shooting so far in his career, so hopefully he improves this in the off-season.