Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

NIT Round 2 Game Thread - IU vs. Arkansas | 3/23 (Sat.) @Noon (ET) on ESPN

Believe they are dead wrong on why Morgan shot free throws there.  Believe the rule in the NIT is that you shoot free throws on the second foul in the last two minutes of a half.

I believe you’re right and Dan was dogging on the crowd about the number of fouls to shoot FTs earlier in the game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Just to take the human element out of it (as far as starting the clock the instant the ball is touched), there should be a rule that if there's .07 of a second or less left, the only thing you can do is tip the ball. You cannot catch and shoot the ball in .06 seconds. It's not humanly possible. 

I assume you meant .7 and not .07.  The rule on tips I believe is that you can't shoot with under .3.  I do think it is possible to catch and shoot it with .7.....however, it is very likely that you are going to get more than .7 seconds to do it because of the lag in starting the clock.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe you’re right and Dan was dogging on the crowd about the number of fouls to shoot FTs earlier in the game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

And the two fouls under two minute rule is a good one (I do like the NIT foul rules).  Keeps teams with 1 or 2 fouls in from the 10 to 2 minute mark from just grabbing guys on a last possession to run time down.

Believe they are dead wrong on why Morgan shot free throws there.  Believe the rule in the NIT is that you shoot free throws on the second foul in the last two minutes of a half.

You’re exactly right. Was shaking my head the entire time they were saying he was in the act of shooting. You’d think they’d learn the NIT rules before going on air...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

If you have to handle someone with kid gloves so much that you can't pass it to him twenty-two feet from the rim because he's going to run over somebody at the rim, then that guy shouldn't be on the court.  I'm not putting that on Green.

Smith isn't a ball handler.  You can't give a non-ball handler the ball 30 feet from the rim as he's running full speed toward a defense that has 3-4 guys down there.   

13 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Just to take the human element out of it (as far as starting the clock the instant the ball is touched), there should be a rule that if there's .07 of a second or less left, the only thing you can do is tip the ball. You cannot catch and shoot the ball in .06 seconds. It's not humanly possible. 

Unless of course, your name is Brendan Plavich and you're playing for Charlotte, in which case you can catch it, turn, dribble and shoot in that timeframe because the IU clock operator couldn't perform the simple job of pushing a button.

So I disagree completely that the NIT is meaningless. Disappointing, yes, but not meaningless. Just look at our women's team. They won the NIT last year and now they're in the second round of the NCAA tournament despite graduating their best player.