Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

NIT Round 2 Game Thread - IU vs. Arkansas | 3/23 (Sat.) @Noon (ET) on ESPN

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

The problem with that is it's letting the player decide if he wants to play or not. If I'm Archie, I tell him as long as you can play, you're playing. The head coach needs to be calling the shots, and his job is to win games, not worry about a kid's draft stock.

Simply put....exactly what does he have to hold over Romeo?  What's he going to do, cut his minutes next year?

When someone says that aren't playing, the worse thing you can do is put an unmotivated player on the court.  You can try to convince him to play, but if he's set on not playing I personally don't want someone playing over guys that want to play.

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Simply put....exactly what does he have to hold over Romeo?  What's he going to do, cut his minutes next year?

When someone says that aren't playing, the worse thing you can do is put an unmotivated player on the court.  You can try to convince him to play, but if he's set on not playing I personally don't want someone playing over guys that want to play.

If he refuses to play, then you tell him to pack his bags and hit the road like Gafford did.

With all the chemistry problems we've had this year, I'm sure the team's best player now being exempt from everything would be great for the locker room.

If he refuses to play, then you tell him to pack his bags and hit the road like Gafford did.

With all the chemistry problems we've had this year, I'm sure the team's best player now being exempt from everything would be great for the locker room.

That would do wonders for our APR if we sent Romeo out the door without finishing in good standing.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

The problem with that is it's letting the player decide if he wants to play or not. If I'm Archie, I tell him as long as you can play, you're playing. The head coach needs to be calling the shots, and his job is to win games, not worry about a kid's draft stock.

If a school can decline, I have no problem with a kid (that will not be there for much longer) declining. The NIT is meaningless. Happy to watch IU play more games, but I'd rather see guys that are going to be back next year. Additional practice time and development for the younger guys is the only meaningful byproduct. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

The only thing is that if we are forced to play the other guards, we only have three....plus Anderson.  And all three of them are in the starting rotation.  Any foul trouble, injury, etc., and we could see 26 minutes of Anderson like we did the first time we played Arkansas.

I have zero problem with a senior (Taylor) getting a bunch of minutes in the NIT If Durham, Green, and Phin get in foul trouble or foul out. 

Don't forget we have a kid with moves like Jager.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I'd bet some money that Archie would fully support Romeo if he didn't want to play. The NIT is meaningless compared to a potential injury (to an already hobbled player). And I'd bet most if not all players would support him whatever the choice. Hell, only like 5k were in attendance this week, and maybe less this weekend given the timing (little 5, the dance, etc.)

If you're Archie, the only benefit to a meaningless NIT is to grow and develop your guys for next season. Romeo takes valuable minutes away from that benefit. 

23 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

If a school can decline, I have no problem with a kid (that will not be there for much longer) declining. The NIT is meaningless. Happy to watch IU play more games, but I'd rather see guys that are going to be back next year. Additional practice time and development for the younger guys is the only meaningful byproduct. 

I have zero problem with a senior (Taylor) getting a bunch of minutes in the NIT If Durham, Green, and Phin get in foul trouble or foul out. 

Don't forget we have a kid with moves like Jager.

This seems contradictory to what you were saying....why would we give minutes to a player who only was worthy of garbage minutes all year instead of giving it to a freshman?

16 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'd bet some money that Archie would fully support Romeo if he didn't want to play. The NIT is meaningless compared to a potential injury (to an already hobbled player). And I'd bet most if not all players would support him whatever the choice. Hell, only like 5k were in attendance this week, and maybe less this weekend given the timing (little 5, the dance, etc.)

If you're Archie, the only benefit to a meaningless NIT is to grow and develop your guys for next season. Romeo takes valuable minutes away from that benefit. 

I truly hope the players and coaches don't see this tournament as meaningless as you do.  I want them to win the tournament.

Were you among the posters complaining that the players weren't playing hard in the first half against Saint Francis?  I'm not sure if you were or not, so I'm asking.  If so, then why should we expect them to give any meaning to this tournament if you say yourself it's all meaningless?

And, yes, I know you said it was an opportunity for the younger players coming back...but, you also said in the same post it's meaningless.

46 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

This seems contradictory to what you were saying....why would we give minutes to a player who only was worthy of garbage minutes all year instead of giving it to a freshman?

If you play, then you should commit and play. I said that kids coming back next year should be the priority from a a development perspective. then foul trouble was brought up, which I said use Taylor or Jager. 

44 minutes ago, ray said:

I truly hope the players and coaches don't see this tournament as meaningless as you do.  I want them to win the tournament.

Were you among the posters complaining that the players weren't playing hard in the first half against Saint Francis?  I'm not sure if you were or not, so I'm asking.  If so, then why should we expect them to give any meaning to this tournament if you say yourself it's all meaningless?

And, yes, I know you said it was an opportunity for the younger players coming back...but, you also said in the same post it's meaningless.

it's a great opportunity for development. but a NIT championship is pretty much meaningless. 

no i was not one of the ones that complained,,,,, but IF you play, play hard. AM needs to treat this just like practice. if you slack, hit the bench, and be relegated to the doghouse for lack of effort. 

development time is not meaningless. but the NIT, and an NIT championship in itself is meaningless. if i were in Indy still, I'd be going this weekend. i'd be going to support the team, not because the NIT is anything.

16 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

A school can’t decline anymore so what is the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

not a problem at all. but the fact they made a rule that you can't decline sort of proves my point. 

if you have to compel teams to play, it's not that meaningful of a tournament. 

Ready for this game and the real tournament to resume. Realizing even more today how crappy NCAA tournament is compared to nit. No wonder we lost all those games and forfeited against Ohio state. Atmosphere at home so much better

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

I wouldn't say the NIT is meaningless.  Yeah, backseat to the Big Dance, but I would rather win this than some Pre-con Tourney! 

I'm actually excited for noon Saturday!  Going to have the grill and smoker rolling all day!   Steaks for the IU game and beef short ribs for supper.

I wouldn't say the NIT is meaningless.  Yeah, backseat to the Big Dance, but I would rather win this than some Pre-con Tourney! 
I'm actually excited for noon Saturday!  Going to have the grill and smoker rolling all day!   Steaks for the IU game and beef short ribs for supper.
I get what you're saying and I agree mostly but I will say winning an exempt tourney like say the Maui Inv. gives a team serious momentum and a spotlight during the early part of the season not to mention usually really good resume wins.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

I remember back when we rarely missed the NCAA and usually had expectations of making a run, how I thought it was meaningless to just make the field of 64.  I still feel that way to some extent.  You're in it to win it and if you're not a top 4 seed, it's pretty much guaranteed you aren't winning squat.

The NIT is more like a preseason tournament, more of an opportunity to play extra games and get experience.  I don't know how serious or even legitimate Langford's back issue actually is, but I'd imagine Archie knows. If RL has already decided to forego his future eligibility then I'm fine with him not playing.  Again, Archie probably has a good idea of how Langford is leaning.

A lot of decisions are going to have to be made in the coming days & weeks about the team going forward, by the coaches and players alike.  Some things need to change and the coach has to be the one controlling things - it's got to be about the team and not individual players agendas.