Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

NIT Game Thread - IU vs. St. Francis (PA) | 3/19 @ 7PM(ET) on ESPN

Go ahead and finish that.  Don't stop there.  Continue with the idiocy.  Did I miss something, or did he hit 8 of 10 last week when I complimented him?
Hell, you probably think his 2 week span when he was 8-37 from the floor with 13 turnovers was an anomaly, right?  At least those are real numbers.  Good Lord.....why on Earth do you or anyone else care if I love the kid's game or not?  

Wait, at least those real numbers? Are you saying he didn’t hit 8-10 from three?

Sorry, your rants are tough to follow so forgive me

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

Wait, at least those real numbers? Are you saying he didn’t hit 8-10 from three?

Sorry, your rants are tough to follow so forgive me

In the game I was referring to?  No.  He did not.  But hey, go ahead and mix up the games and whatever point you're trying to make so it fits.  I know that's easier.

Your reading comprehension issue is not my problem.  

In the game I was referring to?  No.  He did not.  But hey, go ahead and mix up the games and whatever point you're trying to make so it fits.  I know that's easier.
Your reading comprehension issue is not my problem.  

You’re so predictable, it’s comical. My reading comprehension wasn’t the issue, it was the ambiguity in your post.

Either way I’ll stop continuing another thread that you have taken over and railroaded like many before.

36 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

You’re so predictable, it’s comical. My reading comprehension wasn’t the issue, it was the ambiguity in your post.

Either way I’ll stop continuing another thread that you have taken over and railroaded like many before.

Tell me which part of a very simple point you didn't understand.  This will be good.  

I do love the "toss my scarf and leave in a huff" departure.  Very dramatic.  You just HAD to have the last word, right?  Say what you want to say and run rather than actually debate?    Does this description of liberals basically describe your feelings for me?  I bet yes.   And I bet your face looks like this.

Does IUc2016 mean you graduated 3 years ago? 

The very least you can do is be accurate.  If you need to fabricate (which you did), you really have no point, which means it's a personal thing; and I couldn't care less.  Bring it if you want....or don't.   But stick to the truth.   I made my comments (positive) about him a long time before the OSU game.  So it did NOT take that.   You're wrong.  Simple as that.  So who derailed what?  This is a you problem.  

On 3/20/2019 at 6:44 PM, Free Jurkin! said:

I'm just telling you that the data doesn't back up your argument, and the eye test is very misleading. What other stats would you like to point to? I basically just listed every offensive stat while conceding that turnovers are a little higher than I would like. He's above average in basically everything except turnovers, and he wasn't as much of a disaster there as you claim (he's averaged an even 2/game over the last 2 years. Youay see a bunch more, but I'll go with the official scorer). There's very little evidence to back up your claim that Green was especially detrimental compared to others. If he's only taking 7 shots a game, and 3 are going in, it's statistically impossible for him to take a bunch of bad shots every game. You keep saying 5-6 possessions a game, and that's not even close to true.

Rob is more careful with the ball. Devonte makes more happen. Both are and will be important for the team as they bring different skill sets on offense and play good defense. The starting spot is pretty meaningless as they played pretty much equal minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just making sure you're watching. I don't want to be critical of the kid again; and I won't be. (Just stating facts) But...he gave away 5 in the first half today.  (Arkansas) and it could be 6 or 7 if we really boiled it down.  You can get on  ME all you want.  No real problem with that.   However, your distaste for me or what I say doesn't make me wrong.  I don't just throw numbers out there for the sake of it.  Yes...he has made shots and we'd be down without them.  But..he has also given away 5 possessions (at least).   Which is my point.  He needs to limit "bad DeVonte."  Big time.  I keep saying it because it's true.

It's not coincidence that Green's increase in scoring has occurred during IU's winning over the past several weeks. Since the Wisconsin game, Green has shot 55% from 3-point range while the rest of the team has shot 22%. His 3-point shooting has kept the team in several games. Without Green, Indiana would have lost more games and might not have even made the NIT.  Indiana will need Green's good play to continue to win during the NIT and next year.

It's not coincidence that Green's increase in scoring has occurred during IU's winning over the past several weeks. Since the Wisconsin game, Green has shot 55% from 3-point range while the rest of the team has shot 22%. His 3-point shooting has kept the team in several games. Without Green, Indiana would have lost more games and might not have even made the NIT.  Indiana will need Green's good play to continue to win during the NIT and next year.

I agree with you 100%. Not so sure about that username though.

4 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Just making sure you're watching. I don't want to be critical of the kid again; and I won't be. (Just stating facts) But...he gave away 5 in the first half today.  (Arkansas) and it could be 6 or 7 if we really boiled it down.  You can get on  ME all you want.  No real problem with that.   However, your distaste for me or what I say doesn't make me wrong.  I don't just throw numbers out there for the sake of it.  Yes...he has made shots and we'd be down without them.  But..he has also given away 5 possessions (at least).   Which is my point.  He needs to limit "bad DeVonte."  Big time.  I keep saying it because it's true.

I've never disagreed with you that Devonte makes bonehead plays, and likely makes more negative plays than anybody on the team, besides maybe Smith. He's also made more positive plays than anybody besides maybe Morgan over the past month, and it's my belief that his positive plays generally significantly outweigh the negative. Sure I would love to see only good Devonte with none of the downside. That guy would be the best player on the team and probably 1st team All Big 10. But even up and down Devonte is valuable. On a team with lots of talent, a wildcard like Green probably doesn't play a lot. But on a team that struggles to score, I think you need to take your chances with Devonte's upside.  

We scored 63 points, and he was directly responsible for nearly 40% of them, either through points or assists. So while I'd love to see the turnovers cut down, he's also the primary reason we won today, even with bad Devonte showing up in spurts. If you can't see the value he brings to IU in today's game, I'm not sure what to tell you. He adds a dimension offensively that nobody else can. He had 4 turnovers. He also had 3 steals and a block. I hate turnovers too, but I can be a little more forgiving when the guy is clearly giving effort and makes up for it on defense. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I liked that Green knew he was going to the bench after his second consecutive turnover in the 2nd half.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

That was pretty funny in hindsight. Those turnovers were annoying in the moment. He just walked straight over and sat by the assistant. Archie didn't need to tell him why he was getting pulled, and he didn't need to ask

2 hours ago, Free Jurkin! said:

I've never disagreed with you that Devonte makes bonehead plays, and likely makes more negative plays than anybody on the team, besides maybe Smith. He's also made more positive plays than anybody besides maybe Morgan over the past month, and it's my belief that his positive plays generally significantly outweigh the negative. Sure I would love to see only good Devonte with none of the downside. That guy would be the best player on the team and probably 1st team All Big 10. But even up and down Devonte is valuable. On a team with lots of talent, a wildcard like Green probably doesn't play a lot. But on a team that struggles to score, I think you need to take your chances with Devonte's upside.  

We scored 63 points, and he was directly responsible for nearly 40% of them, either through points or assists. So while I'd love to see the turnovers cut down, he's also the primary reason we won today, even with bad Devonte showing up in spurts. If you can't see the value he brings to IU in today's game, I'm not sure what to tell you. He adds a dimension offensively that nobody else can. He had 4 turnovers. He also had 3 steals and a block. I hate turnovers too, but I can be a little more forgiving when the guy is clearly giving effort and makes up for it on defense. 

I took exception only to your comment that it's not true he gives away 5-6 possessions every game.  He does.  See my post in today's game thread 

We won today in large part because of him.  Had we lost, it would have been in large part because of him.  I've been coaching a long time.  I don't just "take the bad."   Teams don't get better if you accept consistent mistakes 

I took exception only to your comment that it's not true he gives away 5-6 possessions every game.  He does.  See my post in today's game thread 
We won today in large part because of him.  Had we lost, it would have been in large part because of him.  I've been coaching a long time.  I don't just "take the bad."   Teams don't get better if you accept consistent mistakes 

Not saying you should be content with mistakes. Just that even with mistakes, he makes the team better, which is true. But your 5-6 per game math still doesn't make sense. With his per game averages, he's at 2 turnovers and 4 missed shots per game. In order for him to throw away 5-6 possessions a game, you would have to believe that at least 75% of his misses are on bad, wasted shots. Seems pretty unlikely.

I'd also say you have a liberal definition of giving away possessions, especially in regards to Devonte. How many bad shots do you think Romeo takes per game? I guarantee it's more than Devonte, if only because he shoots 5 more shots per game. Every 3 Romeo takes is a bad one. He also has the same turnover average. Every 3 Juwan takes is a bad one too, and he seems to have realized that the last few games as his attempts are down.

16 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Not saying you should be content with mistakes. Just that even with mistakes, he makes the team better, which is true. But your 5-6 per game math still doesn't make sense. With his per game averages, he's at 2 turnovers and 4 missed shots per game. In order for him to throw away 5-6 possessions a game, you would have to believe that at least 75% of his misses are on bad, wasted shots. Seems pretty unlikely.

I'd also say you have a liberal definition of giving away possessions, especially in regards to Devonte. How many bad shots do you think Romeo takes per game? I guarantee it's more than Devonte, if only because he shoots 5 more shots per game. Every 3 Romeo takes is a bad one. He also has the same turnover average. Every 3 Juwan takes is a bad one too, and he seems to have realized that the last few games as his attempts are down.

I'm not following your numbers.   He averages 3 TO's a game and until the last 6 games, was shooting 36% from the floor.  (According to ESPN's stats), and I just showed you today he gave away at least 5 in the first half despite having a good game from a scoring perspective.  He has 12 games with 3 or more turnovers, and he does take a lot of bad shots.

Not sure why it doesn't make sense?   Doesn't matter because as I said in the other thread, we won today in large part because of him and we'd have lost in large part because of him.   He's just an enigma of a player.

I'm not following your numbers.   He averages 3 TO's a game and until the last 6 games, was shooting 36% from the floor.  (According to ESPN's stats), and I just showed you today he gave away at least 5 in the first half despite having a good game from a scoring perspective.  He has 12 games with 3 or more turnovers, and he does take a lot of bad shots.
Not sure why it doesn't make sense?   Doesn't matter because as I said in the other thread, we won today in large part because of him and we'd have lost in large part because of him.   He's just an enigma of a player.

Yep. Simultaneously our best and worst player sometimes. He's bizarre. But I'm a sucker for upside