Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

That’s just plain ignorant and wrong. There are people watching NCAA because of players like Zion, not because they’re Duke fans.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

And guess what? People will continue watching Duke next year. And Duke will continue being a big time money maker and a must see team. Zion leaving won’t change that. People love Duke. There were bandwagon Duke fans well before Zion. I’m guessing Duke added maybe 5% to their fan base for Zion Williamson.

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

I've ready heard a pUKe fan I work with talking crap, "they're playing for 69th place".  I told him I'd like to see a pUKe fan count to 69 but I'm sick of missing a friggin' 68 team field.

I'd argue there are a couple dozen teams that are only in the tournament because of automatic bids, and a handful of NIT teams are probably better, but that's probably well beyond a UK fan's realm of understanding.

4 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

And guess what? People will continue watching Duke next year. And Duke will continue being a big time money maker and a must see team. Zion leaving won’t change that. People love Duke. There were bandwagon Duke fans well before Zion. I’m guessing Duke added maybe 5% to their fan base for Zion Williamson.

People also really hate Duke.  Either is okay for them because people tune in to either see them win or lose.

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I'd argue there are a couple dozen teams that are only in the tournament because of automatic bids, and a handful of NIT teams are probably better, but that's probably well beyond a UK fan's realm of understanding.

Of course you know the moment he said '69th place', he started dreaming of his sister.

Zion is an international sensation. Do you not see that? Of course Duke will always have the loyal fan base just as Indiana and others do. They aren’t adding “fans”. They’re adding customers for the season.

What OAD players bring is the most exciting young basketball players to the NCAA instead of the NBA.

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Zion is an international sensation. Do you not see that? Of course Duke will always have the loyal fan base just as Indiana and others do. They aren’t adding “fans”. They’re adding customers for the season.

What OAD players bring is the most exciting young basketball players to the NCAA instead of the NBA.

And in the case of a lot of one and dones, they are getting showcased in the NCAA whereas going into the NBA at 18, they aren't getting on the court yet.

And in the case of a lot of one and dones, they are getting showcased in the NCAA whereas going into the NBA at 18, they aren't getting on the court yet.

Zion would be a starter on any team in the NBA. He’s absolutely unreal.

That wasn’t the point though - I’m not arguing kids aren’t getting good return out of this. Argument was that the NCAA absolutely benefits from OAD and had a hand in it.

That wasn’t the point though - I’m not arguing kids aren’t getting good return out of this. Argument was that the NCAA absolutely benefits from OAD and had a hand in it.

It wasn’t you but I remember arguing with people about Zion being a top 5 pick in the NBA draft. Several people on here thought he was overrated and wouldn’t be a lottery pick. This was all late AAU into early season before everyone figured it out.

It wasn’t you but I remember arguing with people about Zion being a top 5 pick in the NBA draft. Several people on here thought he was overrated and wouldn’t be a lottery pick. This was all late AAU into early season before everyone figured it out.

I don’t recall having a strong opinion on him at the time, but I certainly underrated him. He’s so polished and I love his attitude. He’s going to be the foundation of a championship team and sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I was agreeing with that (and also wasn't saying Zion wouldn't be one of the OAD who would be playing if he went right to the NBA).  I was saying that the NCAA gets to showcase the OAD, so they benefit.

I was agreeing with that (and also wasn't saying Zion wouldn't be one of the OAD who would be playing if he went right to the NBA).  I was saying that the NCAA gets to showcase the OAD, so they benefit.

Sorry. Misunderstood!