Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

If you think the NCAA had no part in the one and done rule I’ve got something to sell ya.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It hasn’t benefited CBB in the slightest. It’s actually hurt it. CBB teams will make money because they have die hard fans. Who the players are don’t matter. Whether it is Anthony Davis or Tim Priller.

It hasn’t benefited CBB in the slightest. It’s actually hurt it. CBB teams will make money because they have die hard fans. Who the players are don’t matter. Whether it is Anthony Davis or Tim Priller.

Yeah, who would go see Zion in his one and only CBB season... wait a minute.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, who would go see Zion in his one and only CBB season... wait a minute.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

It isn’t that people won’t go to a game to watch Zion, it’s the fact that if the rule didn’t exist and Zion went to the NBA out of HS, Duke fans would still be piling into Cameron Indoor to watch Duke. Just because Jeffries left, Gordon left, Zeller left, Yogi left doesn’t mean people stopped watching. Because they care about the name on the front more than who is wearing it. Sure there are bandwagon fans. Any good team will have them or any team with a superstar. But the vast majority will be loyal diehard fans no matter what players are on the court. Indiana witnessed that when we won 28 games in 3 years.

That’s just plain ignorant and wrong. There are people watching NCAA because of players like Zion, not because they’re Duke fans.

I am looking for a camper

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Great, the wheels wobble and the toilet doesn’t work, but it’s looooaaaded with memories. I’ll take cash or cash.

That’s just plain ignorant and wrong. There are people watching NCAA because of players like Zion, not because they’re Duke fans.

Like me. I am not a Duke fan but have gone out of my way to watch Duke play a couple of times recently just to watch Zion.

I’m struggling with the takes. I know some IU fans that went to the Duke, Uof6 game at YUM because... Zion. I’m sure they would have gone if he didn’t play except they’ve had opportunities before to see other blue bloods play at YUM and passed it up. Weird

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Nike executives made a special shoe for a college player, and hand delivered it to the college. You think that kind of exposure and attention doesn’t benefit the NCAA? They do.

If the Zion’s went straight to the league, do the colleges get the same endorsement deals? They wouldn’t; still would be large, but not as large.

One and done placed the best young basketball players in the hands of a NON-PROFIT organization.

So, Joe, when you say $20 million isn’t too much, I don’t have an answer for you. But this “non-profit” is doing damn well for itself, and it’s because of the players. The agreement includes the right for players to “sit out” just as it includes the right for schools to discourage and block transfers to other institutions, bench players, suspend them, and remove them from the team. It’s all a business, and choosing to sit out is well within the terms of agreement of this business.

PS: the NIT is a silly risk for any NBA bound player.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Like me. I am not a Duke fan but have gone out of my way to watch Duke play a couple of times recently just to watch Zion.

Yeah I have watched more Duke games this year than any year of my life. IMO Zion is the best non pro prospect since Lebron. Hope he doesn’t end up with the Knicks but I am guessing that magically happens because of the market.

I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, but the idea that I am sitting here looking at the NIT bracket and analyzing matchups just seems dirty, embarrassing, and meaningless. It's like I'm the jilted lover who won't leave the apartment even though I'm not on the lease.

It isn’t that people won’t go to a game to watch Zion, it’s the fact that if the rule didn’t exist and Zion went to the NBA out of HS, Duke fans would still be piling into Cameron Indoor to watch Duke. Just because Jeffries left, Gordon left, Zeller left, Yogi left doesn’t mean people stopped watching. Because they care about the name on the front more than who is wearing it. Sure there are bandwagon fans. Any good team will have them or any team with a superstar. But the vast majority will be loyal diehard fans no matter what players are on the court. Indiana witnessed that when we won 28 games in 3 years.

Every once in awhile we agree on something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread but didn't see a source. If a team is invited to the NIT, can they decline the invite or are they required to participate? I tried looking on Google but couldn't really find anything.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

That's a really bad attitude.

We win in 79, win natty in 81.

We get 2nd in 85, win natty in 87.

Does  playing hard in it hurt? 

That was a completely different time. These kids dont care about the NIT. Im not enough sure they cared about making NCAA tournament.

I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread but didn't see a source. If a team is invited to the NIT, can they decline the invite or are they required to participate? I tried looking on Google but couldn't really find anything.

They can’t decline an invite anymore. After LSU and Simmons declined soon after ncaa bought the NIT and they require teams to participate if selected

56 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, but the idea that I am sitting here looking at the NIT bracket and analyzing matchups just seems dirty, embarrassing, and meaningless. It's like I'm the jilted lover who won't leave the apartment even though I'm not on the lease.

I've ready heard a pUKe fan I work with talking crap, "they're playing for 69th place".  I told him I'd like to see a pUKe fan count to 69 but I'm sick of missing a friggin' 68 team field.

14 minutes ago, Hoosier2014 said:

I think what usually happens is that if a school doesn't want to play in the NIT, it will put that info out there before the invites are issued. Last season, for instance, Georgia fired Mark Fox on the Saturday before selection Sunday and the players then voted not to go to the NIT if invited. So it wasn't granted a bid. LSU did the same thing 2-3 years ago. 

Of course, Georgia then hired our good friend Tom Crean.