Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Watch out for Providence Cooley is a heck of a coach

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah the rematch this year isn’t guaranteed. I was talking about the regular season game next year. 

AH always seems to be electric when we play any power 5 school. 

I’m with VO. NIT means absolutely nothing. IU shouldn’t have even accepted the bid

I disagree. Any experience in a tournament setting is valuable. Not sure how it could be bad, only thing worse would to get beat in first game at home. You have been too positive on this board to become “one of them”.

Everybody got a plan until you get punched in the face~Iron Mike

3 minutes ago, JVIU98 said:

I disagree. Any experience in a tournament setting is valuable. Not sure how it could be bad, only thing worse would to get beat in first game at home. You have been too positive on this board to become “one of them”.

Everybody got a plan until you get punched in the face~Iron Mike

I’ll never be completely negative. I’ll say when things are good and when they’re bad. This was an absolutely horrendous season. No other way to look at it

That’s because the NIT means nothing. Who here really thinks IU is going to come out and try to win this thing?
The NIT was a pipedream 4 weeks ago. The team turned it around and made a push that fell a bit short. We absolutely could have been selected today but were on the wrong side of it. My hope is that our fans can get over it. I fear that the constant negativity that I am seeing on social media is taking a toll on many facets of the program (recruiting, national perception, etc.). I know we sucked for a good portion of the season, but we have been playing our best basketball at the end of the season, minus the Ohio State game. I want the team to make a run, if for no other reason than to have positive momentum in the locker room before going into the off season.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

There was a brutal stretch, a long one, I’ll give you that. I don’t think many people, not saying you Hoosierguy, understand the importance of depth. I’m not talking bodies, I’m talking real depth. Fitz, damezi, Moore, and Jake were not ready to give good minutes to rest our starters. A coach can look real good if he has the horses. Horses include bench minutes, not just starters. The game can go south real quick when you put in someone that can’t contribute or the other team can go 10 deep with no drop off and your best pg and forward has played 12 mins in a row without a blow. Not saying it is ideal to go to NIT but it is a step forward from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

At this point playing any more games means more practice and experience for younger players and everyone who will still be here next year. Hope this team takes it seriously though. This team has struggle to come out motivated and the last two IU teams in the NIT had the same problem. I was at the Vanderbilt game in 05’. Only highlight of that one was as Marshall Strickland was shooting a free throw someone yelled “miss it” and without delay someone yelled “shut up hillbilly” while it was dead silent and the whole place laughed 

Very impressed.
Tics down to $20, free parking and GA seating. Basically doing it like Women's game and allowing anyone who wants to go and normally does not get a chance be able to. Great idea for families. Also free student tics.
Where are the tickets posted at

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sure missing the dance sucks, but.....I think there is still a lot to fight for. Morgan will want to look good because looking bad effects his future employment. Romeo's play impacts his lottery position. The returning guys, some were just starting to hit their stride. 

Archie while disappointed, I'm sure is happy with the extra practice time.

And, they'll be playing at home. I'd be surprised if they laid a turd. Not shocked, but surprised.

I'm just happy for the opportunity to watch a couple more games. 

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Let's win the dang thing. 

I didn't comment earlier on the NCAA Tournament thread for a couple of reasons.  One was the fact it seemed a waste of energy, although I wasn't completely convinced they wouldn't somehow get in (just 95% convinced).  Two, what I wanted to comment was likely going to be taken the wrong way.  Three, I didn't want to jinx the team...as I know they all wanted to play under the brighter lights.

What I wanted to comment was this (keep in mind this was written prior to selection sunday).  I believe Indiana will fare better in the coming year by playing in the NIT this year and making noise rather than be unfavorably seeded and placed across the globe in the NCAA Tournament.  I just think the NIT provides what should be more encouraging games going forward...a chance for the coaching staff and team to work on things for the future.  I'm not saying they can't make some noise in the NCAA, as I believe it's possible (we've seen them beat some very good teams), but I just have an awful feeling about losing the first round to end the season (we've seen them get beat by plenty of mediocre teams...and I don't see them being placed in a bracket with the easiest path, but rather, the most grueling path to make them prove they were worthy).  I think the roster lacks (mostly in shooting) too much to truly disrupt many bracket predictions.  Perhaps the selection committee will surprise me and then Indiana will too...I just don't see much hope with the NCAA one way or the other.  With an NIT bid, I do have some hope.  I would love to see them take down some teams and ideally take the whole freaking thing by storm and bring a positive vibe to next season.  No, it's not what the team wanted nor was it what Juwan Morgan promised, but making some noise and potentially winning the entire thing would be an incredible boost to the returning players going forward...plenty of quality wins adding up versus the potential one game and a loss in March Madness.  I'll be shot for commenting this, so I'll probably hold off.

Now that we know they're indeed playing in the NIT, they better not bomb and leave early or my entire theoretical future momentum is shot.  If my wish comes true, then they end on a 5-game winning stretch instead of the potential for ending on a 2-game losing stretch.  Again, we'll never know what they could have done in the NCAA...so, I'm just speaking from my own head...but, I like our chances of building momentum for next year in this scenario much more.  After a year of so many losses in a row and then a couple close losses followed by a couple great victories and ending as it did with a loss, I think this is the best scenario (maybe not for the players leaving, but for the players coming/coming back and the program in general).  I hope like hell they don't blow it though and leave early to Providence or...gasp...before.

Shoot me virtually for believing this, but it's honestly how I feel about this season (not so much the roster, as I think they were capable of scaring some teams, but how the roster performed for a VERY long stretch without fully recovering with a string of victories).  Had Indiana beat Ohio State and Michigan State, then I think that would have completely reshaped my expectations.  But, they knocked off a couple good teams before ending the season by beating some lower-tier Big Ten foes and then lost to Ohio State in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament.

2 hours ago, VO5 said:

I want to be excited but I just can’t be. We’re in a lose-lose situation. Win and we get berated for being the “69th best” team. Embarrassing. Lose early and it’s even more embarrassing.

Our 2 best players are gone and I’m betting on 2 or more transfers, so how much will this actually benefit us for next year? How many fans will fill up the hall, or will it be half empty? Just another nail in our blue-blood coffin.

I completely understand where you're coming from, but yet I disagree.  This gives the team (especially important for those wishing to return) a chance to prove they want to play and play hard regardless of the situation.  Some didn't have it in them half the season or more, nor did they have it against Ohio State. This is the coaching staff's last chance to see who wants to play in Bloomington next year, and who will play hard regardless of the competition and regardless of the rewards at the end of the tunnel.  Who wants to wear that jersey and prove they deserved to be in the Madness? 

And, by the way, my biggest disagreement is that winning it all doesn't prove you're the 69th best team.  It leaves people wondering, "What if the selection committee chose them?  Could they have beaten some of those other 68?  And, if so, how many of them?"  That is what is on the line here, and if players don't come out playing like they have something to prove and want to show pride for the name on the front of their jerseys, then maybe they don't belong.

If your belief that the NIT is a lose-lose, then many pre-conference games every single year are as well.  I see it as a chance to build momentum.  And, if they lose, then they've blown that chance much like they blew this season. Fingers crossed that the injury bug doesn't bite IU next year like it did this year and players can gel...and hopefully with these next few games they realize what's possible going forward with consistent effort and team chemistry.

Should the coaching staff teach the players to quit by saying this tournament is hogwash?  The team had enough quit much of the season...encouraging anymore would be asinine in my humble opinion.

The NIT has been a testing ground for new rules for a while now. 
I think they’ve tested quarters before and I believe the 30-second shot clock and 3 point line’s original move started with the NIT. 

The first time they did the quarters thing it was awesome. They kept the bonus at 7 fouls and it reset at the 10 minute mark. So there were hardly ANY bonus ft’s in games. The only person mad was Jim Boeheim.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My son and I went to Fayetteville for the Hog/Hoosier game last November. Probably lost by the width of the rim late in the game. Hope to see us get past St. F for a Hog rematch in B-Town. Sound revengeful don’t I?
Come on HOOSIERS .....play like you mean it!!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners