Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

The future of college recruiting and “blue bloods” if the NBA lowers draft age to 18

Recruiting won’t be around much longer. If the NBA /NBAPA GET a deal to lower the draft age to 18.

Any 5 star HS “recruit” will go straight to the NBA. and the only ones that will go to college will be lower rated “recruits” or those that want to get an education. So colleges like Duke and UK really won’t have any advantages over anyone else.
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/2/21/18235357/nba-draft-eligible-age-proposal-zion-williamson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recruiting won’t be around much longer. If the NBA /NBAPA GET a deal to lower the draft age to 18.

Any 5 star HS “recruit” will go straight to the NBA. and the only ones that will go to college will be lower rated “recruits” or those that want to get an education. So colleges like Duke and UK really won’t have any advantages over anyone else.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/2/21/18235357/nba-draft-eligible-age-proposal-zion-williamson

They did in the past and will in the future. It’s not that they’re 5*. It’s that they’re the best players available. Puke and Dook will just go buy the next best available players, add Kansa into that mix. They’ve been doing it for decades, before the one and done, and will be doing it long after. It’s a part of their culture.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Recruiting will still be around. It was still around back when high schoolers were allowed to enter the draft. In the history of the NBA draft, 45 players have been drafted out of high school. We aren't suddenly going to see NBA teams drafting dozens of players out of high school each year. 

2005 was the last year players could come out of high school. 9 guys were drafted. Only 3 in the first round. In 2004, 7 were drafted. 5 were in 2003. 1 was in 2002. 5 in 2001. 

A player like Zion will go pro out of high school once the rule is changed, but the vast majority of top 100 players will still be heading to college. 

Knock off the top high schoolers 5 for the NBA and there will just be another top 5 on the list available for college.  A bigger concern might be the development league and kids skipping the college experience for that.  My feeling is that the college game will be better having kids play that want to go to college.

One thing I'm still not understanding: How will the NBA lowering the draft age to 18 end one and dones? Unless there's an accompanying stipulation saying once you go to college or sign a LOI, you can't be drafted or play pro ball in the U.S. for for 2-3 years (like baseball has -- it's 3 years), I don't see how one and dones are going away. I would guess that lowering the draft age to 18 will affect about 8-12 high school seniors every year. The super-elite ones -- Zion, Barrett, Reddish, LIttle, Romeo (maybe) -- will head right to the NBA. But with only two rounds -- and 60 picks -- there are a limited number of draft slots -- most will go to college kids. What happens if a 5-star decides if he's not gonna be a lottery pick (because that's his litmus test) and plans to go to Kentucky or Duke or UNC? And if he has a good freshman season, there won't be any reason for him not to leave school and throw his name in the draft -- hence, another one and done. 

11 hours ago, iubb said:

I'm going 180* different on this one.   Player development will now take a front seat, and coaches who can take raw talent and develop it will have the advantage.   Victor Oladipo is Indiana's best example (although credit for his development goes to the coaches for that 19U team he played for and not Crean, but for the sake of the story....).  As a freshman?  Not close to ready.  As a junior?  The #2 pick in the draft.

The reality is there are really only a handful of kids who are NBA ready, and not that many more who are G League ready out of high school.   College basketball players, like college baseball players can develop and get better; and it'll be more common for everyone to be pulling on the same end of the rope.   I think recruiting becomes MORE valuable than it is now; and I think it'll become more localized, which will help Indiana.

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

I'm going 180* different on this one.   Player development will now take a front seat, and coaches who can take raw talent and develop it will have the advantage.   Victor Oladipo is Indiana's best example (although credit for his development goes to the coaches for that 19U team he played for and not Crean, but for the sake of the story....).  As a freshman?  Not close to ready.  As a junior?  The #2 pick in the draft.

The reality is there are really only a handful of kids who are NBA ready, and not that many more who are G League ready out of high school.   College basketball players, like college baseball players can develop and get better; and it'll be more common for everyone to be pulling on the same end of the rope.   I think recruiting becomes MORE valuable than it is now; and I think it'll become more localized, which will help Indiana.

Yep, I think the effect this will have is vastly overestimated. Even most 5 stars aren't ready for the NBA right out of high school. NBA teams aren't going to waste a bunch of picks on unproven high schoolers. The G League as its constructed now will never be a viable alternative for kids who don't want to go to college. It's full of grown men fighting for their basketball lives. That's not a good place for 18 year old kids to develop their games. 

The real damage to the college game is done when kids view their year in college as an audition for the NBA. Those kids are unlikely to make sacrifices or defer for the good of the team. Allowing kids to go to the NBA from high school is likely not going to solve that problem either. Having Langford, not saying that is his mentality, didn't help IU this past season. Getting Brooks with one foot out the door wasn't going to help either. As others have stated so well, we need program builders who are going to be here multiple years.

Not much would change.  Recruiting would still exist, just the talent pool would exclude players like Zion Williamson.  Duke, pUKe, etc would still be going after the best players available and we'd still have to beat them out for the best players available.

Frankly, it's not so much the OAD I dislike as when the process is messed with to get players like Eric Bledsoe admitted to college (can he spell college yet?).

Not much would change.  Recruiting would still exist, just the talent pool would exclude players like Zion Williamson.  Duke, pUKe, etc would still be going after the best players available and we'd still have to beat them out for the best players available.
Frankly, it's not so much the OAD I dislike as when the process is messed with to get players like Eric Bledsoe admitted to college (can he spell college yet?).

To me it’s not the true OADs that bother me at all. It’s the fact that the idea creates 100 more kids per class that think they are OAD and are told by everyone they are OAD and they never are. Then those players play selfishly and play for the scouts, etc.

It seems Indiana has had its fair share of those fringe guys.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app