Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

Rutgers at Indiana Game Thread | Sunday 3/10 @ Noon ET on BTN

Yeah, ya know, I’m ok with that. He knows there are battles to prepare for and the war is far from over. All business. And really, I think you are probably right, maybe that’s not really what the coaches do for the senior night. Might be a thought for the future though, especially in the case of a guy like Juwan. He’s probably one of the more beloved players in the last decade or so. Just think it would be nice to get a few words from the leadership.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Great job by our Hoosiers again, and hope they continue to play like this.  While Devonte forced some shots (luckily they went in), I felt our offense looked really good against a team that gets physical.  IU is playing their best basketball at the right now, just wish they were able to get a few of those close losses back: two against Iowa, Purdue, Ohio St., Maryland, etc.  IU is playing for their NCAA tournament lives, and really hope to get two wins in the cursed BTT.  If we get two I think IU is for sure in, and getting just 1 puts IU leaning to the NIT. 

Either way, I'm extremely proud with how this team responded after such a terrible stretch.  Definitely gives most of Hoosier Nation a lot of optimism for the future.  It's just great that this team is now 8 deep, with hopefully McRoberts getting healthier to make it 9.  Just wish we had Rob and DeRon healthy for this season!

So, I get the players thanking each of the coaches who were instrumental in shaping their individual careers. I have no problem with that. Most had both guys, so why wouldn’t you thank both? For me though, something was missing from Archie’s side of things. I would have liked if coach had said a little something about each individual player as he introduced them. Something personal and behind the scenes. A funny story, or a memory, or even like a timeline of the players development over their time spent together. I could be the minority here, and I admit to not having the greatest access to previous senior speeches, to use as a barometer for how they normally go. It just seemed a little cold from Archie’s end, like he didn’t have much to say. Maybe that’s just how they all go. Maybe I missed something.  

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I remember Crean would do a little intro of sorts before a player would talk. Don’t really remember how in depth it got but he would definitely say some words about them. The one I remember the most is Hartman’s first senior night and him saying things about wanting him to come back the next year. I don’t remember what last years was like and if Archie said anything or not.

So, I get the players thanking each of the coaches who were instrumental in shaping their individual careers. I have no problem with that. Most had both guys, so why wouldn’t you thank both? For me though, something was missing from Archie’s side of things. I would have liked if coach had said a little something about each individual player as he introduced them. Something personal and behind the scenes. A funny story, or a memory, or even like a timeline of the players development over their time spent together. I could be the minority here, and I admit to not having the greatest access to previous senior speeches, to use as a barometer for how they normally go. It just seemed a little cold from Archie’s end, like he didn’t have much to say. Maybe that’s just how they all go. Maybe I missed something.  

Heck even Bob knight gave great intros to the seniors. I know crean did dont remember Sampson though. I guess it isn't Archie's thing and that is ok I guess

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

I’ll never forget when Crean was introducing Yogi. What he said and how he started breaking down almost. It was very sincere and I thought it was amazing and a class act. Archie might be that was with his kids and kids he had for 4 years. These were still Tom’s players and kids who Archie didn’t recruit. Guess we will see in 3 years and beyond if Archie gives heartfelt speech or if that just isn’t him.

I noticed that the people thanking Crean were kids who had no shot at playing at Indiana and thanked him for letting that play at IU. I'm not overly concerned. I do agree that Archie isn't that loving father figure Crean was - not going to see Romeo resting his head on Archie's shoulder after losing in the Tourney on his way out to the NBA.

25 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I know I'm old and I've lost a lot of brain cells but I thought Knight would make some general comments but would then leave the gym floor so as not to be a distraction to the seniors and their individual speeches.  Did I dream that?

Keep your head up, Your Flatulence.  It was a long time ago.

Edit. 

I know I'm old and I've lost a lot of brain cells but I thought Knight would make some general comments but would then leave the gym floor so as not to be a distraction to the seniors and their individual speeches.  Did I dream that?
I think he did leave the floor but he also talked about the kids prior. Look up 1994 senior night I found that one online and relived it thanks to this convo

7 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I think he did leave the floor but he also talked about the kids prior. Look up 1994 senior night I found that one online and relived it thanks to this convo

Holy smokes was that a step back in time.  Coach Knight's reputation all too often gets remembered only for the worst qualities and the aftermath.  This is great.

Holy smokes was that a step back in time.  Coach Knight's reputation all too often gets remembered only for the worst qualities and the aftermath.  This is great.

[/url]  

Nice to see Bailey, Leary, Henderson, Evans and Lindeman on the court and beating Wisconsin as RMK did so many times.

[/url]  

That was awesome. Thanks so much for posting that, Stromboli. I’ve never watched that before. I can’t tell you how much it meant to me. Those teams from the late 80’s and early 90’s are why I chose to be a Hoosier. I was in my teens then, a kid from a small town, 400 miles from anything Indiana related. Even there, my father and I would seek out information on this high school kid named Damon Bailey. Yes, my father was a Bob Knight, IU basketball fan. All the way from Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, we prayed he would stay home and choose IU. If those 80’s teams were the spark, then the Cheany/Bailey years were the blazing inferno that guided me to Indiana University and Kelley. Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks for posting that.  2 things of note - Knight was remarkable at speaking with class when he wanted to.  It was nice to see the cheerleaders, pep band, managers acknowledged.  Second - they should take Damon’s clip about playing at Indiana and it’s meaning and Archie should watch it with every recruit, especially if they are from Indiana.  

On 3/12/2019 at 3:53 PM, Stromboli said:

Remember watching that one. Good times.

9 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

What year, and player, was “helped” to dunk the ball during senior night. I was a pretty young kid but remember that moment. I want to say it was Chris Reynolds but can’t remember exactly.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

You would be correct. On their state "tour" after they graduated, Reynolds would dunk everywhere they went just to prove he could. I have the book Beyond the Banner, that chronicles the class of 93's season.