Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

Rutgers at Indiana Game Thread | Sunday 3/10 @ Noon ET on BTN

Just now, mdn82 said:

As a fan I get caught up in this thinking too. One thing that scares me for the players is getting caught up in this thinking. They have been known to loose their focus this year and this situation is a trap. I am glad we are playing OSU instead of a Northwestern. I think it’s less likely but I am still paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If they lose focus now it would be disappointing, but they've managed to keep it for six straight games, so there's cause to think that they are aware of the potential and react accordingly.

If they lose focus now it would be disappointing, but they've managed to keep it for six straight games, so there's cause to think that they are aware of the potential and react accordingly.

Oh man in pregame it was impressive. They were on it early. There was literally 0 messing around. In our area I was right by where they came out. “Get warm, and take care of business” was the motto before they came out. We all agreed it was going to be a beatdown in warmups. There was no interaction with the fans.

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

As a fan I get caught up in this thinking too. One thing that scares me for the players is getting caught up in this thinking. They have been known to lose their focus this year and this situation is a trap. I am glad we are playing OSU instead of a Northwestern. I think it’s less likely but I am still paranoid.

Any time you get to feeling antsy my friend, I got something that'll take the edge off.

Also when you guys sat on the baseline bleachers (I usually sit close to midcourt 18th row) it really blows when you have to straddle the 400 lb man in front of you. I have a new found respect for guys that sit on the baseline. Great seats but not sure I can do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

In fairness to the critics this team should have never been in this situation and there have been plenty of things that are still concerning. Things aren't great and Archie isn't all of a sudden out of the woods because this team has got on a streak and might be able to sneak in off the bubble. A senior and potential All-B1G JMO and lottery pick Romeo led team shouldn't even have to be sweating it. Basically just like you have the right to be excited by what you've recently seen others still have the right to be concerned by what they've seen for 65-75% of the conference season.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

...It was weird sitting there having players thank Crean more than Archie during the speeches yesterday.

Agree. Feels like we're not talking about it enough, and I'm trying not to read into it. 

I'm not worried. I think Archie can develop as a coach just like players can develop over the years. But the disparity yesterday was remarkable. 

Also, 3 walk-on roster spots are opening up. It will be interesting to see how Archie fills them.

Anyone else old enough to remember that this IU team wasn’t going to win another game and IU will lose out? Rutgers will be favored in the Hall. IU is the worst team in the B1G. Even though Illinois has a losing record Underwood has them playing hard and IU will be lucky to leave with a loss under single digits. Someone asked before the Wisky game what makes anyone think this team can make a run and win out from what the saw the last month. Absolutely nothing. Confidence is a tricky thing and IU has it back. A reminder trying to figure out college basketball is not possible. Sit back and enjoy the ride. On Thursday if they win they are looking solid on earning an at-large and if they lose they are going to the NIT. Not bad for a team that went 1-12 during a stretch in the season. I’ve done bracketology for over 15 years and I’ve never seen a team sheet like IU’s this year

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I was never in that camp thankfully. I wasn't happy with our play, but getting g everyone healthy again, would make it better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If his teams go off the rails consistently I would agree. From things heard on here and at games a lot of the dynamics stem from players coming from the old staff, and some with the new staff. It was weird sitting there having players thank Crean more than Archie during the speeches yesterday.

I agree that was weird. TC was a good man but, a not so good Coach. It all balances out I guess......

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

First time back in 3 years...

My daughter and I had a great time at the game. I thought the crowd was really good for the students not being there and the team played a really solid game. This team is really starting to play together and they're really playing good right now. 

Oh and Big Ten refs are just 'not good'.

5 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Funny story tiny. On the way down, I will say I partook. On the way out I didn’t think about it and was sitting there talking to a cop. With my window down.... He looks at me in the long line of waiting cars and just says Jesus Christ roll up your window emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png. Made me laugh.

That’s a cool cop right there

22 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I agree with this as well. I think thanking Crean was a nice and genuine gesture by the players. Just wish Archie would have personally received more specific thanks from the players. Definitely an odd situation. Will be happy to move along from that but we could have 2 more years like it.

Yeah I was expecting Archie to get some thanks, but for a bunch of walk ons it made sense to thank Crean 

Yeah I was expecting Archie to get some thanks, but for a bunch of walk ons it made sense to thank Crean 

Yeah, I get the walk ons and players thanking him but wish they would have thanked Archie and Co. a little more as well.

Someone I haven’t heard a lot about during this short winning streak is Dan. It seems that nobody has brought one of his loving remarks to these boards. That’s odd.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

He said yesterday that IU was playing the best basketball in the Big 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I get the walk ons and players thanking him but wish they would have thanked Archie and Co. a little more as well.

So, I get the players thanking each of the coaches who were instrumental in shaping their individual careers. I have no problem with that. Most had both guys, so why wouldn’t you thank both? For me though, something was missing from Archie’s side of things. I would have liked if coach had said a little something about each individual player as he introduced them. Something personal and behind the scenes. A funny story, or a memory, or even like a timeline of the players development over their time spent together. I could be the minority here, and I admit to not having the greatest access to previous senior speeches, to use as a barometer for how they normally go. It just seemed a little cold from Archie’s end, like he didn’t have much to say. Maybe that’s just how they all go. Maybe I missed something.

So, I get the players thanking each of the coaches who were instrumental in shaping their individual careers. I have no problem with that. Most had both guys, so why wouldn’t you thank both? For me though, something was missing from Archie’s side of things. I would have liked if coach had said a little something about each individual player as he introduced them. Something personal and behind the scenes. A funny story, or a memory, or even like a timeline of the individual players development over their time spent together. I could be the minority here, and I admit to not having the greatest access to previous senior speeches to use as a barometer for how they normally go. It just seemed a little cold from Archie’s end, like he didn’t have much to say. Maybe that’s just how they all go, maybe I missed something.

I’m trying to think back to previous staffs and coming up blank. It would be cool to get a funny or memorable story from the coach about a player but at the same time it’s not really over. It might be odd having a story put out like that too. I did like JMo’s story about being at the zoo and Archie contacting him. I think part of it is Archie not having that in his personality. It seemed like, the few time the camera went his way, that he’d rather be breaking film down or recruiting or practicing. I think Archie will do great things here but he could definitely work on his charism a bit.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app