Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

HinnyHoosier--Our coaching staff has been doing a great job reeling them in lately. Until IU finds better success on the floor, we will have trouble competing for many players.  I think Galloway will be one of them (I doubt we would have gotten TJD if he had waited until spring to make a college decision). As I said, the best players from that part of the state usually don't go to IU--they tend to go to Purdue, Michigan State and Michigan rather than IU. And, as we are learning, getting the best players in Indiana won't be automatic as it seemed to be during Archie's first recruiting cycle. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong. Galloway is a tough player who will wind up hurting us if he goes somewhere else.

12 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we'll get Galloway. I'm from the Culver area. Players around here relate more to Purdue and Michigan State than they do IU. Damezi Anderson was the first St. Joseph County player to play for IU since John Laskowski who graduated in 1975. Players from Northwest Indiana for the most part just don't play for IU. We'll see. As I say, I hope I'm wrong. I like the way Galloway plays. But I see him ending up somewhere else.

Let's give credit where it's due -- in just two years, Miller brought in a player from St Joseph's county (whom, let's not forget, was a guy whom was a huge Purdue lean) and a player straight out of West Lafayette.  

I'd say the last two years are more relevant to look at.

Let's give credit where it's due -- in just two years, Miller brought in a player from St Joseph's county (whom, let's not forget, was a guy whom was a huge Purdue lean) and a player straight out of West Lafayette.  
I'd say the last two years are more relevant to look at.

But but but we’ll never get a decent recruit again! The in state talent in 2020 isn’t as highly ranked as those in 2018 or 2019 but could definitely help the program.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

HinnyHoosier--Our coaching staff has been doing a great job reeling them in lately. Until IU finds better success on the floor, we will have trouble competing for many players.  I think Galloway will be one of them (I doubt we would have gotten TJD if he had waited until spring to make a college decision). As I said, the best players from that part of the state usually don't go to IU--they tend to go to Purdue, Michigan State and Michigan rather than IU. And, as we are learning, getting the best players in Indiana won't be automatic as it seemed to be during Archie's first recruiting cycle. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong. Galloway is a tough player who will wind up hurting us if he goes somewhere else.

Galloway is probably a little different then most that are from that area. He grew up in Central Indiana until his dad got the culver job. While he said he didn’t grow up his whole family were IU fans according to him. I think there was a picture last year floating around with him with an IU hat on. Definitely not a lock but I would say IU is in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

20 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Not upset in the least. Glad we missed an IMG kid who wants to go to Memphis.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Don't look now, Boot.   We agree again.   This is exactly how I feel.   Kids have to fit, and this kid never seemed like he did or would.

22 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I love IU basketball. But I hate it when IU basketball loses on the court or in recruiting. This one (Lester Quinones) doesn't bother me except for the fact that it is a reminder that we won't be competitive for most targets who are top 100 players until we start winning again on the court.

Consider this a major victory, my man.  We lost nothing except a PIA kid whose ego is too big to ever be on a good team.    We have 3 top 100 kids (I think Franklin got there, right) in Hunter (37 last year), Jackson, and Davis.   We need the RIGHT players.  Not "top 100" players.   We need seniors.  Program kids.  We need to get old and stay old.   We do not need "immediate impact" kids in every recruiting class or all we'll do is turn over recruiting classes.    That is not Indiana's culture and I don't want it to be.

Thanks Old Friend. Any program needs talent to win. "Program kids" are fine but 4 year kids stay for 4 years usually because they have no place to go. Almost all of them--even the "program kids"-- would like to move up to the next level if possible. To win, IU needs a combination of 3-4 years kids and at least a couple of exceptionally talented kids who likely won't stay that long.  Our problem right now is that until we start winning we're going to struggle to land even most of the top 4 year "program kids."   So I hope a couple of our returning players show significant improvement in their shooting and that all of the players avoid injury so that we can make it to the tournament.  BTW.  Franklin moved up to 128 from something over 150. He'll be a good player in a couple of years. TJD who ended up ranked 27 will be a very good player though maybe not until later in the season. I've been a die hard IU fan since Lou Watson was coach. I've seen the good and the bad.  The good wouldn't have been good without really good players. Quinn Buckner was the best guard in the country coming out of high school as was Isaiah Thomas. Both the 1976 & 1981 teams were loaded with talent--high school All Americans. Even the 1987 team had two McDonald All Americans (not Alford or Smart who turned out to be their two best players). It is pure fantasy to think that IU will be a top team without a lineup of almost all highly ranked players.

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Thanks Old Friend. Any program needs talent to win. "Program kids" are fine but 4 year kids stay for 4 years usually because they have no place to go. Almost all of them--even the "program kids"-- would like to move up to the next level if possible. To win, IU needs a combination of 3-4 years kids and at least a couple of exceptionally talented kids who likely won't stay that long.  Our problem right now is that until we start winning we're going to struggle to land even most of the top 4 year "program kids."   So I hope a couple of our returning players show significant improvement in their shooting and that all of the players avoid injury so that we can make it to the tournament.  BTW.  Franklin moved up to 128 from something over 150. He'll be a good player in a couple of years. TJD who ended up ranked 27 will be a very good player though maybe not until later in the season. I've been a die hard IU fan since Lou Watson was coach. I've seen the good and the bad.  The good wouldn't have been good without really good players. Quinn Buckner was the best guard in the country coming out of high school as was Isaiah Thomas. Both the 1976 & 1981 teams were loaded with talent--high school All Americans. Even the 1987 team had two McDonald All Americans (not Alford or Smart who turned out to be their two best players). It is pure fantasy to think that IU will be a top team without a lineup of almost all highly ranked players.

Not sure where to start with this....  "A program needs talent to win?"   Really??  You don't say.   Do you honestly think I meant we don't need talent?  Is that what you interpreted?  

I'll start with Franklin.  You've never seen him play if you think it'll take a couple of years for him to be a good player.  That's just truth. 

We just landed Phinisee, Jackson-Davis, Hunter, and Franklin.    I'm not seeing this "struggle" you're selling.   And no program will ever land "most" of anything, which is one reason I said we need the "right kids."   The ones who can succeed in the Big Ten and in Archie's system as it evolves.

You aren't the only one who knows IU's history, but here are some things that kinda' validate what I said.  1981, IU also had a whole lot of experience.  Tolbert, Wittman, Kitchell, Turner, Risley, Grunwald, and Isenbarger were all upper classmen.    1987?  Alford, Thomas, Jadlow, Sloan, Hillman, Smith, Eyl?  Upper classmen..plus the two JUCO's...one of whom was 22 years old at the time.  But....the real funny thing here is the title itself.  Yeah, Daryl Thomas and Rick Calloway were both, in title, "McDonald's All Americans," but....Steve Alford wasn't.   That kinda' throws a wrench into the theory, if you ask me.   Alford had a legendary senior season that ended with a 57 point game in a semi state game with no 3-point line - at a time when Indiana High School Basketball was pretty solid - and became one of the best college guards of his era, and a 2 time consensus All American in college.    There are hundreds of stories of players like this who didn't hold that moniker.  Meaningless technicality of a title.  At that time, with no internet, it was up to writers who had never seen a lot of the players, and as much a popularity contest as anything.  Greg Dreiling, Greg Kite, and Tim McCormick were McDonald's All Americans.  Charles Barkley was not.

Numbers seem to mean a lot to you.  How many top 50 (McD's All America caliber)  kids participated in this season's final four?    I'll wait while you look that up, since I'm living in some "pure fantasy."   Oh hell...I'll help you.  On 4 teams (each of which won their conference or their conference tournament), six total top 50 kids participated/played in this season's final four.  Know how many of those Texas Tech had?  In fact, know how many top 100 kids Texas Tech had?    Zero.  None.  But they had a damned good coach who recruited to a system.   You think Michigan State has built what they have solely with McD's All Americans, or maybe "getting old and staying old" with kids that fit what Izzo does has something to do with it?  So much for your theory that Indiana needs "almost all highly ranked players."   (That was a ridiculous statement by you)

I don't think I said we don't need talent to win.  Did I?  I don't think I did.  Indiana has and will continue to get its share of talent. But we don't need a lineup of "mostly highly ranked players."    

Is your point that we needed Quinones, or something else?   

20 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Archie likes Quinones and wanted him on the team. Are you saying Archie is wrong? Indiana’s culture over the last decade is losing a lot of games. It needs to win NOW. A fourth straight missed NCAA tournament is beyond unacceptable.

And missing out on a guy who is looking for shot volume so he can go to the league  ASAP is not going to help us win now. 

25 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Archie likes Quinones and wanted him on the team. Are you saying Archie is wrong? Indiana’s culture over the last decade is losing a lot of games. It needs to win NOW. A fourth straight missed NCAA tournament is beyond unacceptable.

Yep.  I would say in this case, Archie is wrong.  He still has some Dayton in him, and I have zero interest in any me first kids.    Getting or losing this kid will have zero bearing on whether or not Indiana makes or doesn't make the NCAA tournament.  Indiana's entity is far bigger than the recent on court results.  Culture is not always current status.   I have complete faith in his ability to coach, but not every kid is a fit.  See Luke Recker.  See Lawrence Funderburke.  On and on.  This kid would have been a bad fit in my opinion, and I don't equate him one bit to a failure or some "sign."   I know what we DID get.

Yep.  I would say in this case, Archie is wrong.  He still has some Dayton in him, and I have zero interest in any me first kids.    Getting or losing this kid will have zero bearing on whether or not Indiana makes or doesn't make the NCAA tournament.  Indiana's entity is far bigger than the recent on court results.  Culture is not always current status.   I have complete faith in his ability to coach, but not every kid is a fit.  See Luke Recker.  See Lawrence Funderburke.  On and on.  This kid would have been a bad fit in my opinion, and I don't equate him one bit to a failure or some "sign."   I know what we DID get.

What does "still has some Dayton in him" mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting or losing this kid will have zero bearing on whether or not Indiana makes or doesn't make the NCAA tournament.

“I don't get it.  We have two available scholarships.  We just had a season where injuries hampered results.  We are thin in the backcourt with a need for shooters.  We are an injury away from more issues.  We need depth.  He absolutely would have helped. Do people dislike him because he wants to go to college to improve himself?  Ask yourselves.  Did you go to college to improve your life or to improve the college?  Everybody goes to college to improve their own life.  Everybody.

Do we dislike him because he's not from Indiana?  He's a dreaded east coaster?  We need to get beyond our own biases and stereotypes.

I don't get this fanbase.  I know not every one of us has these thoughts, that would be a stereotype.  But man we drive me crazy sometimes.”

I don’t have an issue with the kid. I have an issue with IMG and kids who are being recruited by programs that are clearly paying players. I want no part in that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The sad part of this, I totally forgot to watch his announcement on Friday.  I finally realized Saturday and looked to see who was chosen.  I looked, thought about it for a second, and then returned to planting trees.

My tank is half empty lately.  I hate this feeling.