Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

2 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Why don't you take a look at our last two signing classes numbnuts

+1.  150 guards and wings like Phinnissee, Anderson, Franklin....

We know that Damezi was very underwhelming this past year, but he fit the profile.  And I think we do need to give the kid credit....lots of players in his situation are moving on already.  A lot of us expected that he would.  Then he comes out and says how he is working toward next season as this year was a learning experience.  In a world where guys have wanted things handed to them and he took a lot of heat for his play this past season, he basically came out and basically said he knew he had to get better and was going to work to do so.

I'm as guilty as anybody of being critical of players who seem to want to move on and point fingers without addressing why things didn't work out, but then not giving guys credit when they do actually look to be working at it.

Anyway, don't want to derail the LQ thread again.

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

He is. Hopefully in the future we won't be in this spring scramble mode trying to compete against $.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the new normal seems to be that there are a ton of guys who haven't committed or are decommitting in the spring.

Players ranked in the 150 range sometimes work out and sometimes don't.  Victor Oladipo was a great find at 136. Damezi Anderson not so much at 125--at least so far.  Rob Phinesee could wind up being a very good point guard at 136. Even the best ones usually take a season or more to contribute consistently.  Phinesee had some good games and some not so good games. The bottom line is that college teams need talent to make it into the NCAA tournament and the best talent will usually be found in the top 100 range. Players ranked below 50 can often contribute right away. That's why Lester Quinones is worth going after. If we get him, he will be able to help right away. If he goes to Memphis, c'est la vie.

7 hours ago, Choopy said:

Quinones just stated he has FaceTimed the coach of the school he’ll be attending and informed him that he’ll be going to that school earlier today. I can say with almost certainty he’s going to Memphis.

Why? Not disputing what you are saying, just don't understand your reasoning.

8 hours ago, Choopy said:

Quinones just stated he has FaceTimed the coach of the school he’ll be attending and informed him that he’ll be going to that school earlier today. I can say with almost certainty he’s going to Memphis.

Archie doesn't seem to be the FaceTime kind of guy.  Maybe I'm wrong.

16 hours ago, mdn82 said:

To get back on track it’s hard to imagine LQ coming here. IMO, he would be a valuable asset to our team, but our best chance of improving is having Hunter come back at full strength.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree, and frankly it makes me nervous simply because of the uncertainty around JH (will he be able to play and how good will he be).

It's likely the roster is set for next season.  We're over due for some good luck so hopefully we see the improvement from returning players, the freshmen live up to expectations, and we can sustain full health for a change.

Why? Not disputing what you are saying, just don't understand your reasoning.

Because Lester was quoted as saying Penny FaceTimed him at least once a day and sometimes twice a day in a article on the Memphis board. Just would make sense if he has a relationship with a coach where they FaceTime then he would communicate with that coach through FaceTime. I also don’t see Archie has someone who communicates through FaceTime

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app