Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

32 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I don't know, I'm not too wild about a player who talks about how many shots he'll get as a factor in his decision.

Absolutely THIS.   Go to Memphis.  I have no interest in a player with this mindset.   I will never, ever, ever, ever understand why or how Indiana fans are excited this kid might accept his scholarship to IU and come to school here.   Is it that someone said yes??   Surely those of you who are excited understand this mentality is 180* from any successful college culture that doesn't focus on one and done's, right?

Absolutely THIS.   Go to Memphis.  I have no interest in a player with this mindset.   I will never, ever, ever, ever understand why or how Indiana fans are excited this kid might accept his scholarship to IU and come to school here.   Is it that someone said yes??   Surely those of you who are excited understand this mentality is 180* from any successful college culture that doesn't focus on one and done's, right?

I’m not sure what to think but I want what Archie wants. If we trust him and his decision making we should support this. He is getting the opportunity to build a roster HIS guys and if les is what he wants and we get him I will be excited as I want Archie to get HIS guys and have zero excuses if it doesn’t work out

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

16 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Lester Quinones has a far far FAR better chance of winning a national championship at IU than at Memphis. And that's with IU implementing a program and players that fit the new-ish staff and philosophy.

The vast majority of national champions, even in this one and done era, have come from schools that have veteran leadership and experience which executes high-level team defense.

Memphis has, or is about to have, some really high scoring one and dones. That don't get you all that far in March.

I never said he had a shot at a national championship at either school, although either school could conceivably win the national title (however, unlikely).  I merely said he'll either choose Memphis because he believes the "exaggerated expectations" Penny has been selling him (that he's the missing piece to a national championship), or he will choose Indiana to get a lot of shots up which is what Archie is selling him. 

I think it comes down to who's promising what he most wants to hear and whose promises does he believe more.  I wasn't implying I believe either coach's promises, although I would bet on Archie's promises to come a lot closer to fruition.

28 minutes ago, ray said:

I never said he had a shot at a national championship at either school, although either school could conceivably win the national title (however, unlikely).  I merely said he'll either choose Memphis because he believes the "exaggerated expectations" Penny has been selling him (that he's the missing piece to a national championship), or he will choose Indiana to get a lot of shots up which is what Archie is selling him. 

I think it comes down to who's promising what he most wants to hear and whose promises does he believe more.  I wasn't implying I believe either coach's promises, although I would bet on Archie's promises to come a lot closer to fruition.

Careful, Hardaway exceeds expectations. Least that's what I was told. 

Even though I believe we don’t land Lester, I am not concerned about a kid wanting his shots. If Archie believes this player is who we need, then I am on board. We need a little grit on our team . Too many soft IU teams in recent memory. Give me Hornsby, Fife, and Coverdale bombing away from 3 pt land.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

12 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I don't know, I'm not too wild about a player who talks about how many shots he'll get as a factor in his decision.

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

He has quoted Archie as telling him he will get a lot of shots on next year's team.  That is what Archie is telling him and selling him, likely because he's a good shooter and Archie knows he needs a good shooter.  So, when he's asked what interests him about Indiana he repeats what he's being told (he'll get a lot of shot opportunities) just like he repeats what he's being told at Memphis (become the missing piece and win a national championship).  Side note:  Personally, based on his stats, I'm not sold he's any better at shooting from distance than Green or Durham (maybe not even as good as Phinisee) but if the coach is telling him he wants him at Indiana to be a scorer then Miller probably thinks he can and will be a scorer...and he's telling people that Indiana is offering him a place to be a scorer.

Yogi came to Indiana after being told he would be able to play right away and run the point.  I'm sure he was told he would have a lot of people to pass to, as he had plenty of returning scorers who would surround him.  If he said he was coming to Indiana because there were a lot of opportunities to collect assists (because that's what the coaching staff sold him on), then should we condemn him?  I'm not sure how much of a ball hog Lester Quinones is or will be, but if he's being sold on "come to Indiana if you want to be a go-to scorer" then of course the kid is going to use that as his reason.  Or, we could use James Blackmon as an example...as I'm sure he was told he would have the green light and that likely weighed very heavily on his choice to play at Indiana rather than Kentucky.

Personally, I like the big body (especially at the guard position) and his quick release...and I especially like that he is known as a gym rat..  He has his eyes set on the NBA (like nearly all high-level college basketball prospects) and he is determined to get there.  For some, this turns them off.  For folks like me, it makes me more intrigued.  If he comes to Indiana, then great...and I hope he proves a whole lot of people wrong who have bashed his character based on a few tweets and his school choices.  If he doesn't come to Indiana, then I won't be too surprised or too upset.

2 hours ago, Iugradman said:

What the hell are you talking about? When have I ever done this? Sorry if the truth upsets you. I want to win, at least occasionally, and IU is not anywhere close to doing that. Landing a top 50 prospect would go a long ways toward bringing the program back to a respectable level. The current roster is not set to compete at a high level in the Big Ten.

I've lived long enough to know that some people simply aren't happy unless they are unhappy.....complaining makes them happy.  There is a reason why you are on ignore by so many people.  It ain't them.

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

Even though I believe we don’t land Lester, I am not concerned about a kid wanting his shots. If Archie believes this player is who we need, then I am on board. We need a little grit on our team . Too many soft IU teams in recent memory. Give me Hornsby, Fife, and Coverdale bombing away from 3 pt land.

Yeah, I don't remember too many kids saying what sold them on a school is the ability to come in and sit the bench and being an offensive decoy when they did get in.  Quinones' biggest sin was not use the code words ("looking for an offense that fits my style") and instead using what it means ("getting my shots"). 

They’ll probably land Ellis,Hampton, and Precious this week, and it will look like IU will get LQ but then he will still end up committing to Memphis. A lot of kids seem to like IU, but not “enough.”

Looking like Hampton is trending to Kansas, which is not great for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’ll probably land Ellis,Hampton, and Precious this week, and it will look like IU will get LQ but then he will still end up committing to Memphis. A lot of kids seem to like IU, but not “enough.”

We have finished second all spring. Hard to get your hopes up anymore.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Looking like Hampton is trending to Kansas, which is not great for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesnt matter. I fully expect lester to puck memphis either way.

Why won’t Archie go after some solid 150 guards? The guy thinks he’s Calipari and this is Kentucky.

He is. Hopefully in the future we won't be in this spring scramble mode trying to compete against $.