Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

Yeah it's interesting that he's dialed down to IU and Memphis. Why do that if you've known for weeks where you're going? It was presumed Memphis for months before his IU visit. 

I dont want to read too much into quotes. In the recent one, he says Coach Marshall will get him prepared. Last week to Memphis radio he said that he and the other Memphis recruits will dominate.

He did legitimately like the guys at IU. I love that Devonte was there as a fellow New Yorker. Jerome and Les seem to have hit off, and they would be in effectively the same class. Trayce is a MAA five star tweeting at him. We've got a major hole at SG. And he's getting recruited over at Memphis. And we have the dubious honor of being the most prestigious program recruiting him.

Lester grew up with Precious Achiuwa. He wants to get to the NBA. He wants to be a part of what's cool at Memphis. Penny has been on him. I get the appeal, and wont be surprised if he picks Memphis.  FWIW I think the decision is made and he has the edit being made already. 

Some IG shots. First is by an edit guy showing the Lester video in the works. The other is just Lester and Jerome tagging each other on stuff.

Screenshot_20190506-111247_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190505-131016_Instagram.jpg

36 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

You are right-they do have something to sell, it all really sounds positive for IU. However, it all sounded really positive for IU with Darius Garland, DJ Carton, Isaiah Stewart, Keion Brooks, Matthew Hurt, Anthony Harris, Trendon Watford and now LQ. Even in the late Crean years we got stuck at the altar...I'm just not in a position to think a recruit is going to IU over one of these stupid programs that is all about flash and the NBA... They have to find the right players. I don't know if Lester is. Does he want the quickest path to the NBA or does he want to work hard and get better each year? I would say at least 4 of the names I listed did not choose IU because they felt they could go elsewhere to get to the NBA as soon as possible. Michigan, Virginia, Texas Tech, etc have no issues finding the right players. Rarely do they have McDonald's All-Americans. I know Lester isn't a Burger Boy but still. I'm not going to cry if Lester doesn't choose IU. I just hope Archie learned from this '19 class to find the right guys for IU. Don't waste too much time if these nasty programs are involved. You won't win in the end. Romeo is his only recruiting victory against these type of schools. Still plenty of fish out there. 

There's a great quote about recruiting that is something along the lines of "If they say 'yes' too often then you're probably recruiting the wrong guys."

see: Hoetzel, Max; April, Jeremiah; Gelon, Grant

Hey HoosierFan--You thought Matthew Hurt and Isaiah Stewart were coming to IU? Really? They never even took an official visit. There is nobody on your list I thought would select IU 4 four days before the announcement (Watford hasn't officially picked any school but I don't know anyone who thinks it will be IU). Everybody knew Darious Garland wasn't picking IU in the days leading up his announcement. Same with Keion Brooks. Everyone had to know Anthony Harris would go to North Carolina since that was his last visit, closer to home, same conference as Virginia Tech.  DJ Carton going to Ohio State was the only surprise on your list but he never said it was down to two schools--IU and someone else. The names on your list aren't comparable--four days out and IU is in his final two. Like I say, I could be wrong but I wasn't wrong on any of the ones you listed. I'm surprised anyone was.

Yeah it's interesting that he's dialed down to IU and Memphis. Why do that if you've known for weeks where you're going? It was presumed Memphis for months before his IU visit. 

I dont want to read too much into quotes. In the recent one, he says Coach Marshall will get him prepared. Last week to Memphis radio he said that he and the other Memphis recruits will dominate.

He did legitimately like the guys at IU. I love that Devonte was there as a fellow New Yorker. Jerome and Les seem to have hit off, and they would be in effectively the same class. Trayce is a MAA five star tweeting at him. We've got a major hole at SG. And he's getting recruited over at Memphis. And we have the dubious honor of being the most prestigious program recruiting him.

Lester grew up with Precious Achiuwa. He wants to get to the NBA. He wants to be a part of what's cool at Memphis. Penny has been on him. I get the appeal, and wont be surprised if he picks Memphis.  FWIW I think the decision is made and he has the edit being made already. 

Some IG shots. First is by an edit guy showing the Lester video in the works. The other is just Lester and Jerome tagging each other on stuff.

Screenshot_20190506-111247_Instagram.thumb.jpg.bf32484edcf5464ac19c0f09503653b8.jpg
Screenshot_20190505-131016_Instagram.thumb.jpg.7c26bee48ed692dac794e25e32a2d40c.jpg
I still think memphis is the team to beat and the cool place to go right now. We have finished 2nd so much lately I guess it's hard to expect we finally get one of these guys. I hope I am wrong.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Hey HoosierFan--You thought Matthew Hurt and Isaiah Stewart were coming to IU? Really? They never even took an official visit. There is nobody on your list I thought would select IU 4 four days before the announcement (Watford hasn't officially picked any school but I don't know anyone who thinks it will be IU). Everybody knew Darious Garland wasn't picking IU in the days leading up his announcement. Same with Keion Brooks. Everyone had to know Anthony Harris would go to North Carolina since that was his last visit, closer to home, same conference as Virginia Tech.  DJ Carton going to Ohio State was the only surprise on your list but he never said it was down to two schools--IU and someone else. The names on your list aren't comparable--four days out and IU is in his final two. Like I say, I could be wrong but I wasn't wrong on any of the ones you listed. I'm surprised anyone was.

I think I misunderstood you. Yes, the the days leading up we knew many of those recruits were not going to IU. However, it sounded pro-IU in the months leading up to the decision. There was a time when I, and many others, thought Garland and Brooks were IU bound. I think the Crystal Ball is pretty accurate. If there isn't any movement on that by Friday he's going to Memphis, which is where I think he is going. It's all about the $$$. Which I don't understand. If you are a top 50 kid, yeah you can probably think about going to the NBA in 2-3 years. Anyone outside of that, like Lester-ranked 60-80, needs to work their butt off to get to the NBA in 2-3 years. I'm just afraid he would just show up and think he is good enough to go through the motions. We shall see. 

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

There's a great quote about recruiting that is something along the lines of "If they say 'yes' too often then you're probably recruiting the wrong guys."

see: Hoetzel, Max; April, Jeremiah; Gelon, Grant

I agree but Crean just handed those out like candy (see: Priller, Tim). Archie isn't doing that. It's okay to go after some of these guys (Keion, Lester, Trendon) but make sure you are going after other guys too (Armann Franklin, Jerome Hunter, Rob Phinisee) 

I agree but Crean just handed those out like candy (see: Priller, Tim). Archie isn't doing that. It's okay to go after some of these guys (Keion, Lester, Trendon) but make sure you are going after other guys too (Armann Franklin, Jerome Hunter, Rob Phinisee) 

I think with recruiting there is too much absolutism with either a player is going here or not. To me there are varying degrees of having a chance. You have to be able to make it to the end of a recruitment and from there coach has to close. Not every kid will give you a chance to close. Even with Yogi who was the worst kept secret I can remember it was thought to keep an eye on Georgia Tech. There was never any 100% on Brooks or Garland. I think even within those two Brooks was considered a better bet than Garland. We missed on him. Point blank it is what it is and happens a lot in recruiting even for the big boys. The other guys you listed, there was a very small chance and I don’t recall anyone feeling good about getting them to IU. We had an in to jump into the fray, but never felt good enough to make a final list, let alone get them here. If we miss on LQ at this point I would feel it’s a miss much in the same thought that we have a good shot. Winning will cure a lot of that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I think with recruiting there is too much absolutism with either a player is going here or not. To me there are varying degrees of having a chance. You have to be able to make it to the end of a recruitment and from there coach has to close. Not every kid will give you a chance to close. Even with Yogi who was the worst kept secret I can remember it was thought to keep an eye on Georgia Tech. There was never any 100% on Brooks or Garland. I think even within those two Brooks was considered a better bet than Garland. We missed on him. Point blank it is what it is and happens a lot in recruiting even for the big boys. The other guys you listed, there was a very small chance and I don’t recall anyone feeling good about getting them to IU. We had an in to jump into the fray, but never felt good enough to make a final list, let alone get them here. If we miss on LQ at this point I would feel it’s a miss much in the same thought that we have a good shot. Winning will cure a lot of that.

No doubt. I just would like to have seen Archie add one more freshman to the mix. I know we added Brunk but still. I do like what Archie is doing with the roster management. Balanced classes and not using all 13 scholarships. Keep 1-2 open because 1) Not everyone can play leading to transfers and 2) you never know what may happen. A kid could transfer to you or reclassify. 

3 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Screenshot_20190506-111247_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20190505-131016_Instagram.jpg

I think he had his mind fairly well made up (Memphis)...then, he visited Indiana and realized the program had more to offer him than he initially recognized:  Marshall's strength training and development, a noisy 17,000 fans screaming in Assembly Hall (as he saw on film), players he can see himself being tight with, etc. 

I don't know if he will choose Indiana or Memphis, but I think the odds he chooses Indiana are higher than many on here believe.  

His recent comments, however, do come off as...I really love Penny and Mike Miller and my parents really like Archie Miller.  

I think it comes down to whether he wants to win a national championship and to be the missing piece to that exaggerated expectation (which is what is being sold to him by Penny) or if he wants to position himself on a team where he'll likely have a lot more opportunities to score (which is what is being sold to him by Archie) and do so in front of a legitimate crowd.  I also believe him when he says it will be his decision, but the remarks that his parents really like Indiana might have more substantial weight in his decision than some believe (that fact is obviously on his mind to even mention that during an interview).

We shall see.  I think another scorer would be a blessing if that scorer plays within control and within the coaches' game plans.  If he doesn't come to Indiana, then I'm all in on Morton and Leal and/or Galloway next year and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a healthy Hunter and Davis, a more under control Green, an impact from at least one of our incoming freshman, and some improved shooting across the board (free throws, three pointers, etc) and across the roster.

Lester Quinones has a far far FAR better chance of winning a national championship at IU than at Memphis. And that's with IU implementing a program and players that fit the new-ish staff and philosophy.

The vast majority of national champions, even in this one and done era, have come from schools that have veteran leadership and experience which executes high-level team defense.

Memphis has, or is about to have, some really high scoring one and dones. That don't get you all that far in March.

2 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

It's very very unlikely that Quinones would play on a national championship team at either school any school.  I'm just hoping we make the NCAA tournament while Quinones is at IU--if he comes.

7 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think I misunderstood you. Yes, the the days leading up we knew many of those recruits were not going to IU. However, it sounded pro-IU in the months leading up to the decision. There was a time when I, and many others, thought Garland and Brooks were IU bound. I think the Crystal Ball is pretty accurate. If there isn't any movement on that by Friday he's going to Memphis, which is where I think he is going. It's all about the $$$. Which I don't understand. If you are a top 50 kid, yeah you can probably think about going to the NBA in 2-3 years. Anyone outside of that, like Lester-ranked 60-80, needs to work their butt off to get to the NBA in 2-3 years. I'm just afraid he would just show up and think he is good enough to go through the motions. We shall see. 

Here's a fact.   Crean offered on average ~ 50 scholarships every season.   Archie has offered around 12.   Crean recruited with a shotgun.  Anyone who'd say yes.  It's why he spent 10x more on recruiting than Wisconsin did.   It's why he never built a team, but rather just pieces thrown together.   And...that single reason is the ONLY reason this kid is even palatable to me right now.    I do trust Archie enough to believe he sees something he needs.   Otherwise?  Go to Memphis.  

Here's a fact.   Crean offered on average ~ 50 scholarships every season.   Archie has offered around 12.   Crean recruited with a shotgun.  Anyone who'd say yes.  It's why he spent 10x more on recruiting than Wisconsin did.   It's why he never built a team, but rather just pieces thrown together.   And...that single reason is the ONLY reason this kid is even palatable to me right now.    I do trust Archie enough to believe he sees something he needs.   Otherwise?  Go to Memphis.  

I know it seemed like a lot but did we really offer that many kids/year under Crean?

11 hours ago, Iugradman said:

It’s not OK if IU loses Quinones to Memphis. If Archie were content with the roster, he wouldn't still be recruiting to upgrade it. Not being able to get any out of state players since 2017 is concerning.

I don't know, I'm not too wild about a player who talks about how many shots he'll get as a factor in his decision.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

45 in 2016. 42 in 2017. 

Not to mention the 'hot & cold attention' to recruits from CTC & his staff.  I don't recall the '18 recruit, maybe Hunter or Henry, who mentioned the previous staff would be all over him and then silence so he had no idea where he stood with the program - as a HS player, coach, advisor, etc. this level of uncertainty would drive me up the wall.

19 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Not to mention the 'hot & cold attention' to recruits from CTC & his staff.  I don't recall the '18 recruit, maybe Hunter or Henry, who mentioned the previous staff would be all over him and then silence so he had no idea where he stood with the program - as a HS player, coach, advisor, etc. this level of uncertainty would drive me up the wall.

It was another recruit that didn't pick IU. I also think Trendon Watford made a comment as well about it.