Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

Maybe just the military in me but I interesting to see him call the Memphis coaches by first name and IU as Coach Miller. Just like others have mentioned Penny is trying to build that brother bond Vice a father/coach figure.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

35 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

His quotes are interesting. They way he phrased them.

To sum it up...good relationship with Penny and Mike. Coach Miller and staff have a good relationship with the family. Close with returning IU players.

Sorry, Memphis isn't making the Sweet 16 next year let alone the National Championship game. That style doesn't win. Not saying IU is either but Lester is probably a 3-4 year player. I bet IU is more successful than Memphis over the next 3-4 years. I think this kids game fits well with what the program is looking for. Hope he puts in the work. However, if he chooses Memphis we know what he wants. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier1984 said:

Maybe just the military in me but I interesting to see him call the Memphis coaches by first name and IU as Coach Miller. Just like others have mentioned Penny is trying to build that brother bond Vice a father/coach figure.

I really think it is going to fail. I'd be really surprised if Memphis even makes the Sweet 16 next year. 

43 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Almost feels a little DJ Carton’ish. Remember everyone thought it was Michigan or IU, then Carton made that last visit to OSU and came out of the visit talking about how well he bonded with the OSU players?

I don’t expect him to pick IU, but when talking about IU that the second time I’ve heard him mention how well he bonded with the players. 

47 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Zags  certainly chose to write that article in a pro IU manner. 

Almost feels a little DJ Carton’ish. Remember everyone thought it was Michigan or IU, then Carton made that last visit to OSU and came out of the visit talking about how well he bonded with the OSU players?
I don’t expect him to pick IU, but when talking about IU that the second time I’ve heard him mention how well he bonded with the players. 
I'm not expecting iu either but hopefully I am wrong. Penny is the major flavor of the month.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

To sum it up...good relationship with Penny and Mike. Coach Miller and staff have a good relationship with the family. Close with returning IU players.

Sorry, Memphis isn't making the Sweet 16 next year let alone the National Championship game. That style doesn't win. Not saying IU is either but Lester is probably a 3-4 year player. I bet IU is more successful than Memphis over the next 3-4 years. I think this kids game fits well with what the program is looking for. Hope he puts in the work. However, if he chooses Memphis we know what he wants. 

I don't know about style, but it's very hard to win a national championship with your scoring coming mainly from freshman....especially ones who are one and dones.

I think he will probably sign with Memphis -- hope I'm wrong -- but if he doesn't, it's in no small part to Memphis doing last hour recruiting over him on the verge of him announcing.

51 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I don't know about style, but it's very hard to win a national championship with your scoring coming mainly from freshman....especially ones who are one and dones.

I think he will probably sign with Memphis -- hope I'm wrong -- but if he doesn't, it's in no small part to Memphis doing last hour recruiting over him on the verge of him announcing.

I sadly think it will be Memphis too....he will get minutes there even with Boogie and RJ. Plus he may be one of the better players starting his sophomore year. 

I'm glad Archie is going after a variety of 2020 kids. I feel like he didn't do that last year with this class. He put a lot of eggs in TJD and Keion's basket. I agree with what someone said earlier..I stay away if a Memphis, Arizona, and LSU type of school is involved..$$$...a waste of time. I get doing it with Trendon and even here with Lester (he is the last '19 kid). I just think that mountain is hard to climb if you are wanting a squeaky clean program. Nothing against Lester (he is a #60-75 ranked kid, I think his game fits well with IU) but I'd rather have a fringe top 100 in-state kid (like Rob Phinisee and Anthony Leal) who wants to play at IU and will focus on getting better and understand the NBA/pro basketball will come if you do that. Lester's "as soon as possible" NBA comment, to me, is the one that stands out the most and that school is probably Memphis. 

All I'm going to say about Penny is a coach is this:  although I know it takes time to put a system in place, he returned an incredibly experienced team.....one whose top four scorers were juniors the year before and returned for their senior season....and they had the exact same record under Hardaway as they did under the previous coach.  When you return all of your talent and are as experienced of a team as they were (5 seniors, 1 junior and 1 sophomore in their first 7), you would have expected a team that was 21-13 the year before to make the dance.

16 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

It’s not OK if IU loses Quinones to Memphis. If Archie were content with the roster, he wouldn't still be recruiting to upgrade it. Not being able to get any out of state players since 2017 is concerning.

It's not only "okay," it's preferable.   Losing a recruit to Memphis concerns me exactly zero. 

11 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I feel like we’re in the final 2 as a bit of hype. That might be bias from the past few years but that’s the feeling I get from your way this recruitment has played out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I wonder if recruits just use IU to show they have clean schools recruiting them....

If his parents prefer he attend IU--and by his Lester's quotes that seems to be the case--I think it will be IU.  Why wouldn't his parents prefer IU? IU provides a better education which is something most parents are concerned more about. The program seems more stable, cleaner, greater tradition. These are all qualities that would normally impress parents. And, if Lester bonded with the IU players (Green, Davis), it is not like the parents would be pushing a program the son doesn't also like. I could be wrong, but everything in the quotes tells me it will be IU. BTW, I think it is ridiculous to say that IU is included just to show a player is interested in a clean program. Lester had Michigan on his top 5 which is also a clean program. IU is in the mix with these players because IU has something to sell.  

17 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

If his parents prefer he attend IU--and by his Lester's quotes that seems to be the case--I think it will be IU.  Why wouldn't his parents prefer IU? IU provides a better education which is something most parents are concerned more about. The program seems more stable, cleaner, greater tradition. These are all qualities that would normally impress parents. And, if Lester bonded with the IU players (Green, Davis), it is not like the parents would be pushing a program the son doesn't also like. I could be wrong, but everything in the quotes tells me it will be IU. BTW, I think it is ridiculous to say that IU is included just to show a player is interested in a clean program. Lester had Michigan on his top 5 which is also a clean program. IU is in the mix with these players because IU has something to sell.  

You are right-they do have something to sell, it all really sounds positive for IU. However, it all sounded really positive for IU with Darius Garland, DJ Carton, Isaiah Stewart, Keion Brooks, Matthew Hurt, Anthony Harris, Trendon Watford and now LQ. Even in the late Crean years we got stuck at the altar...I'm just not in a position to think a recruit is going to IU over one of these stupid programs that is all about flash and the NBA... They have to find the right players. I don't know if Lester is. Does he want the quickest path to the NBA or does he want to work hard and get better each year? I would say at least 4 of the names I listed did not choose IU because they felt they could go elsewhere to get to the NBA as soon as possible. Michigan, Virginia, Texas Tech, etc have no issues finding the right players. Rarely do they have McDonald's All-Americans. I know Lester isn't a Burger Boy but still. I'm not going to cry if Lester doesn't choose IU. I just hope Archie learned from this '19 class to find the right guys for IU. Don't waste too much time if these nasty programs are involved. You won't win in the end. Romeo is his only recruiting victory against these type of schools. Still plenty of fish out there.