Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

My guess is Les will go the same route as Harris, although not necessarily for the same reason. Visited IU, impressed and maybe even surprised to the point it gave them pause....but ultimately they are going to go with the shiny object- for Harris it was a perennial winner with a legendary coach that is close to home. For Les it's the up and comer with the new hotness coach and a bunch of me too talent. 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Well ... that's the question, but let's identify what the staff's mindset seems to be:

• They worked hard on one grad transfer, and got him (Joey Brunk). Seems relevant that he is a two year player and from Indiana.
  • They watched and met Wyndham, and didn't offer him. Doesn't seem like they thought he was worth a four year ride.
  • For a few weeks they pushed hard for Harris, and for a few weeks they have been pushing hard for Quinones; seems that they think both are well worth a four year ride.
  • They seem to have put a little time and effort into Watford, but not much.
  • They seem to have put all but no effort into any one year grad transfers.

My takeaway? When Archie was hired he clearly stated that

1. He didn't think having all 13 scholarships in use was the optimum way to keep team chemistry. 
  2. He would concentrate on Indiana and the Midwest
  3. He wanted to be an old team, and one that was experienced in his system - program continuity as a key.

Sooo, With three Indiana kids in the fold we tried to add a fourth from wherever, but only if it was a player who would be around for awhile and develop within the program. What he's done so far this off-season is well in line with the three criteria listed above, and I'm guessing he thinks he already has Wyndam's skill set in Damezi. 

Eloquent, well-articulated post @Stuhoo!  I have been churning on a few of your inputs for some time, but failed to 'see the forest from the trees.'  One thread that I am still wondering about is the role of a traditional transfer that would sit a year and have multiple years of eligibility, e.g. a Josh Newkirk sit-one, play two, in Archie's system.  I could see value there in (1) bringing in potential experience & skill, (2) not disrupting team chemistry for one year, and (3) continuing to develop regional ties.

Jerry Meyer just picked both R.J. Hampton and Boogie Ellis to Memphis.  I'm not sure how Lester Quinones could fit in there.

Penny is the flavor of the month and the exact definition of a player’s coach...I would be shocked if all 3 don’t go there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Jerry Meyer just picked both R.J. Hampton and Boogie Ellis to Memphis.  I'm not sure how Lester Quinones could fit in there.
Won't make a bit of difference. Everyone wants Memphis right now.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Won't make a bit of difference. Everyone wants Memphis right now.

Maybe, but the scholarships and playing time aren't there for everyone they are heavy on right now.  They currently might be listed as the leaders for six players -- four of which are guards -- and currently only have three scholarships open.  Even if Penny's so goes walk on, they have four scholarships to give and those aren't going to be going to four guards.  

I think it's assumed that Precious Achiuwa is going to end up there which would be one scholly taken.  That leaves Trendon Watford, RJ Hampton, Boogie Ellis, Lester Quinones, and Arkansas-Little Rock shooting guard graduate transfer Rayjon Tucker -- who visited Memphis last weekend and most expect will back out of the NBA draft and transfer -- competing for the remaining scholarships.  The truth is that of those six players, Quinones is probably the least wanted.....he certainly the lowest ranked.

Right now it seems like Hardaway is promising a lot of players roles and playing time that he can't deliver on because there are only so much time and shots that he has to give.  He's promised Achiuwa that he is going to play him at multiple positions which I think is probably counter productive to the team.

Memphis isn’t that much different than LSU, getting crazy looks from elite players despite no visible reason for it.

Penny isn’t a reason to go to Memphis, how is he different than Mullin, Ewing, majarle, Avery etc? If you want to play for an unproven coach that played in the nba there are multiple options.

Memphis is just plain ready to brawl it out in the mud and kids are loving the handouts.

NCAA? You awake?

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

Memphis isn’t that much different than LSU, getting crazy looks from elite players despite no visible reason for it.

Penny isn’t a reason to go to Memphis, how is he different than Mullin, Ewing, majarle, Avery etc? If you want to play for an unproven coach that played in the nba there are multiple options.

Memphis is just plain ready to brawl it out in the mud and kids are loving the handouts.

NCAA? You awake?

Not a chance

5 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

NCAA? You awake?

Agree 100% and the NCAA is always asleep at the wheel unless you self report.

Maybe, but the scholarships and playing time aren't there for everyone they are heavy on right now.  They currently might be listed as the leaders for six players -- four of which are guards -- and currently only have three scholarships open.  Even if Penny's so goes walk on, they have four scholarships to give and those aren't going to be going to four guards.  
I think it's assumed that Precious Achiuwa is going to end up there which would be one scholly taken.  That leaves Trendon Watford, RJ Hampton, Boogie Ellis, Lester Quinones, and Arkansas-Little Rock shooting guard graduate transfer Rayjon Tucker -- who visited Memphis last weekend and most expect will back out of the NBA draft and transfer -- competing for the remaining scholarships.  The truth is that of those six players, Quinones is probably the least wanted.....he certainly the lowest ranked.
Right now it seems like Hardaway is promising a lot of players roles and playing time that he can't deliver on because there are only so much time and shots that he has to give.  He's promised Achiuwa that he is going to play him at multiple positions which I think is probably counter productive to the team.
Watford is going to LSU per reports. Anthony Harris picked NC over us and I doubt he sees much time at all this year.

17 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

The NCAA is too busy trying to find ways to make IU players ineligible.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The NCAA is ran by the same universities that make schools money. It’s in their self interest to not hammer schools that make money. They weren’t going to hammer IU, IU self sanctioned and the type of kids Sampson brought in caused IU to start over. IU can play the game on basketball and deny like UNC and Duke and get away with it. 

The NCAA is ran by the same universities that make schools money. It’s in their self interest to not hammer schools that make money. They weren’t going to hammer IU, IU self sanctioned and the type of kids Sampson brought in caused IU to start over. IU can play the game on basketball and deny like UNC and Duke and get away with it. 
True IU handed them the case on a silver platter and they had no choice but to investigate. The big boys must just laugh and iu as just being fools.

Just now, Hornsby said:

True IU handed them the case on a silver platter and they had no choice but to investigate. The big boys must just laugh and iu as just being fools.

Didn't just hand them the case, by self-sanctioning we said 'here's the case and here's the punishment'; NCAA just said okay.

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

Watford is going to LSU per reports. Anthony Harris picked NC over us and I doubt he sees much time at all this year.

Quotes from Harris are much different than quotes from Quinones.  By all accounts Harris never said his primary goal was shots and minutes.

Quotes from Harris are much different than quotes from Quinones.  By all accounts Harris never said his primary goal was shots and minutes.
We will soon see I guess.