Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

Just now, OldBuddy67 said:

His shooting alone will put him ahead of Al and maybe Devonte. Regardless my starters: Phin, Devonte, Les, Jerome, and Trayce.

He’s not a lights out shooter. He is serviceable. Very doubtful he’s going to talk in and beat out our second best shooter. 

He’s not a lights out shooter. He is serviceable. Very doubtful he’s going to talk in and beat out our second best shooter. 

Our second best shooter is still below average. It's not a high bar to clear. I doubt he begins the season as a starter, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was there by the end of the season (assuming he picks IU of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Our second best shooter is still below average. It's not a high bar to clear. I doubt he begins the season as a starter, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was there by the end of the season (assuming he picks IU of course).

Lot more to the game than shooting. Learning the system and being physically ready for defense at this level. 

Lot more to the game than shooting. Learning the system and being physically ready for defense at this level. 

That's why I wouldn't expect him to be a starter right away. I love Al, but LQ appears to be a much more natural offensive player with a higher ceiling. It also wouldn't shock me if Al takes another leap and he's shown good improvement both seasons so far

True, but are we really expecting him to come in and grab a starting spot either?

Nope; I think most would gauge him behind Phin, DeVonte, Al D, and tied with Franklin for minutes during his first year.

I wouldn’t expect a starting spot for him. But his ability to knock down shots could get him huge minutes here. At Memphis, I am not sure either way he is getting over 15 mpg. I don’t think he gets the shots there to make an impact he is being sold on.

Edit: I do think Penny can last longer than Drew but I am not certain he can coach as good as Wade. Will be interesting to see if he can carry this momentum in 2 or 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

49 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

It looks like Quinones to IU. I hope that’s the case. First, let’s get Watford this weekend

Let’s wait and see. No need to over hype the masses. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

All of the talk about Memphis was before the Boogie Ellis news today folks. If they can get Ellis and Hampton Penny will take them over LQ in a heartbeat as would most coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

All of the talk about Memphis was before the Boogie Ellis news today folks. If they can get Ellis and Hampton Penny will take them over LQ in a heartbeat as would most coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It also may make Lester want to commit to Memphis after hearing the Boogie news . He may feel if he waits he may lose his spot.

2 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

It looks like Quinones to IU. I hope that’s the case. First, let’s get Watford this weekend

Is  Watford announcing this weekend? I took the Instagram post as just to film the announcement video and it would be released at a different time. I could’ve missed something.

10 hours ago, mdn82 said:

His first few years in the league before injuries seemed to exceed expectations. The Magic were god awful before him and Shaq. Both had an equally critical role in that franchise making the championship. Plus being a high lottery pick from Memphis State in the early 90s I would consider that exceeding as well. As a coach we don’t know, but these kids know who he is and he was a top AAU coach these kids all saw and knew. Plus the money probably isn’t bad either.

I'm glad you put the two key words in that comment... "and Shaq". His role was not "equal" to Shaq's.