Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

39 minutes ago, Demo said:

2 things, both of which I might be wrong about: 1) Isn’t  Quinones a grad prep? Thought I remembered Chris noting that. If so, he graduated from the HS. 2) Didn’t Brooks do the same thing? Either way, I think the school being gracious wouldn’t have been the end of the world.

He might be a grad prep....but I don't think he was a graduate of Brentwood high school.  Here is video of him playing at St. Benedict's Academy prior to playing IMG Academy.  I believe that it has been at least two years and two schools since he's been at Brentwood.

Still want his talent on IU but I think there is more than is being put forth than Brentwood being the bad guy here.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier1984 said:

If this dude makes it to the NBA and does well there I have a feeling the same school who is telling him no will be displaying signs saying Home of Lester Quinones and bragging that he went there

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Reminds me of a saying I saw on Freddie McSwain's snapchat the other day..

"One day the same people who always doubted you will be telling people how they first met you."

FWIW, here is a link to Brentwood High School's roster archive.  The last season that Quinones played at Brentwood was 2015-6, his sophomore season.  He played two years elsewhere (I believe both at St. Benedict's Academy and then went grad prep route at IMG.

Make of it what you will, but it is not a case of where he graduated from Brentwood and then went to IMG as a grad prep.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/brentwood-indians-(brentwood,ny)/basketball/all_time_roster.htm

3 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Didn’t Garland go to Brentwood? That would explain a lot.

No.  You can check the link above and see he never played ball at Brentwood high school.  Garland went to Brentwood Academy in Tennessee, his home state.

I don’t blame the school. There are kids that poured in their blood sweat and tears there for 4 years, those are the kids that should be honored, not someone that went there due to location and then ditched the team and coaches to go elsewhere and then go elsewhere again.

We also don’t know how he was as a person/student/teammate while he was there. If he was a POS and then ditched them at first opportunity, I wouldn’t blame them for saying F off. Clearly he didn’t maintain a lot of relationships with his former school or they wouldn’t dog him like that.

Really, who’s using who? Seems like he is trying to use them now that it is convenient for him

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

What am I missing here?

He left his teammates and high school behind to attend a prep school, and now wants to use his former team’s gym for his announcement?

If I’m the coach of his former team, that would kinda rub me wrong. 

Am I the cranky old guy who doesn’t get it in this convo?

No.  The whole situation with this kid just feels off.   I don't look at it as a grudge by his old school.  I see it as a situation where this kid is no longer a student, and that's all there is to it.  If I quit a job, I wouldn't expect that company to welcome me back to announce a promotion I got at my new place.   

Give me a ticket on the cranky old guy, too.    And remember when we were kids and the "old" people didn't get it?  Amazing now how wise they were, isn't it?   

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

I'm an 'old guy' (Lou Watson was coach when I attended IU) who loves this kid's energy. IU's 2018-19 team was energy deficient. IU needs players like Lester Quinones who are tough and confident. The folks on this board who are shamefully trashing Quinones will eat their words if we are lucky enough to land him.

I love input from older poster than myself so thank you. I would love your input as to why IU wasn’t better our only year with Big Mac. Especially with Downing in the front court? What was your take on Lou Watson the coach and compare him to our run of coaches not getting over the hurdle?

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

I'm an 'old guy' (Lou Watson was coach when I attended IU) who loves this kid's energy. IU's 2018-19 team was energy deficient. IU needs players like Lester Quinones who are tough and confident. The folks on this board who are shamefully trashing Quinones will eat their words if we are lucky enough to land him.

I was the one who originally brought up that I don't like this take by Lester Q, but it is far from "shamefully trashing him" or saying that he isn't a kid who can be an excellent addition. In fact; just the opposite; my take has been that he is a young man with a lot of attention on him that reacts publicly, and that he will mature in the way he handles those reactions. Also that Archie and staff need to know him well enough to decide that he is passionate and a good person, and that like all of us, as he matures that passion will be tempered with judgment.

I'll add one thing in response to WayneFleek's well-stated post: True that we don't know the details of him trashing his home school, but I'm fairly certain that even if it was merited, trashing them on social media was not a good idea. 

"We don't know the details.."  Yes, that's the problem. Too often adults on this board are engaged in character assassination of high school kids without knowing the details. These are kids. If the coaching staff thinks a player has sufficient character to play for IU that should be enough.

When I said I didn’t like the NBA comment, I was assuming it had more of a Memphis feel to it with Penny Hardaway. However, thinking about it more today with Romeo going Pro, we could be just as appealing. Also, to clarify, it doesn’t bother me when kids talk about getting to the NBA. That would be a dream come true for any young man.

His comment about a coach sticking with a player even through shooting schedules sounded to me like he was talking about CAM. Think about how he stuck with his rotations throughout much of the season.

7 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

His comment about a coach sticking with a player even through shooting schedules sounded to me like he was talking about CAM. Think about how he stuck with his rotations throughout much of the season.

That comment was the most troubling for me. CAM didn't have adequate options to use the bench the way he probably wanted to. A coach cannot "stick" with a player who is not getting it done and still expect to win games.

No.  The whole situation with this kid just feels off.   I don't look at it as a grudge by his old school.  I see it as a situation where this kid is no longer a student, and that's all there is to it.  If I quit a job, I wouldn't expect that company to welcome me back to announce a promotion I got at my new place.   
Give me a ticket on the cranky old guy, too.    And remember when we were kids and the "old" people didn't get it?  Amazing now how wise they were, isn't it?   
Why he is likely going to memphis. Perfect fit

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

If the coaches watch, meet and the offer a kid it is their job on the line so I am fine with it. They have to judge talent and character fits. They have to manage roster and get wins

I am more concerned when we target kids and miss them and have to go to 2nd, 3rd and 4th options.