Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think almost every top 100 kid has the NBA as their ultimate goal. Some don't come out and say it, but it doesn't bother me that he did. If that's his goal then he's probably going to be a kid who is willing to put in their work to get there. I still hope we get him. It sounds like things might be looking good for us. He said he wants a coach who doesn't give up on his players, and I think that describes Archie. He stuck with Justin despite his struggles, and Devonte was able to bounce back after his suspension and get lots of playing time.

I agree.  If he wants to put in the work and is driven to play in the NBA, then I'm all for it.  Victor Oladipo had NBA aspirations and he was outside the nation's "top 6" recruits.  He put in the work and look where it got him.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

For me it would depend on what sort of timeframe he has in mind

That was my thinking.  It doesn't seem unreasonable to have these types of goals and hope to arrive sooner rather than later.  He never said he plans to play one year of college and jump ship.  He merely said his dream is to play in the NBA.  If he plays himself into consideration to leave after one year, then I bet he does (most do).  If not, then I bet he keeps working his tail off to get there.

What am I missing here?
He left his teammates and high school behind to attend a prep school, and now wants to use his former team’s gym for his announcement?
If I’m the coach of his former team, that would kinda rub me wrong. 
Am I the cranky old guy who doesn’t get it in this convo?

I'm another cranky old guy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

What am I missing here?

He left his teammates and high school behind to attend a prep school, and now wants to use his former team’s gym for his announcement?

Count me in on the cranky old guy category. If I were the former coach I'm not sure I would welcome him back for his announcement. Now maybe there are circumstances I don't know but actions have consequences.

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

What am I missing here?

2 things, both of which I might be wrong about: 1) Isn’t  Quinones a grad prep? Thought I remembered Chris noting that. If so, he graduated from the HS. 2) Didn’t Brooks do the same thing? Either way, I think the school being gracious wouldn’t have been the end of the world.

Awful move by the school. A kid worked hard to make it out and when he wanted to come back to celebrate a special day in his hometown they shut him down. Yeah he went to a prep school, but you shouldn't hold a grudge against a kid for doing what he thought was best for his future. 

I’ll start off by saying that if what Demo said is right, this is a very bad move on Brentwood’s part. 

My outlook on it is that a HS coach at the public school (or private, just non-“prep”) typically looks out for a kid’s best interest and, as slimy as an IMG can be, I imagine a school like IMG is well within a kid’s best interests in moving to the next level and being successful there. In a vacuum, I can see how a coach could be rubbed the wrong way, but it strikes me as selfish for a school to not allow a kid to share his big day with the community he likely grew up in (ESPECIALLY if he graduated from there, which again is an entirely different story).

This is where I am. I was under the assumption that was the case. If it’s not I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, AKHoosier said:

At first his comments about the NBA bothered me, but then I realized that I chose IU because I felt it prepared me the best for the professional level too.

You can aspire to be an NBA player, and still invest in the team and program.

Yep a lot of people and I would say reasonable people choose their college based on professional develop. 

I just worry for me know colleges were promising to get me a high paying job after only 1 year. Not sure I could have resisted that temptation.