Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

9 minutes ago, Hoosiers96 said:

Class of 2019 guard Lester Quinones @Effort_les says Indiana coach Archie Miller will visit him on Thursday. Quinones will commit and sign his National Letter of Intent on Friday, May 10. #iubb

From Alex Bozich

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Appears Archie hasn't given up hope. So by the end of next week we should have a good idea of the 2019-20 roster. 

5 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Appears Archie hasn't given up hope. So by the end of next week we should have a good idea of the 2019-20 roster. 

I don't know why some people thought that he had. By all accounts Lester had a great visit. The two guys we offered yesterday were players we've been recruiting for a long time. We were at a point where we needed to either offer or quit recruiting them, because both have a number of offers and weren't going to wait forever for us. I don't think the offers had anything to do with Lester. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The fact that we're opening up offer issuance to many of our primary 2020 options makes me think we will have four, not three slots for 2020. 

Damezi better start getting up 500+ shots a day!

23 minutes ago, Hoosiers96 said:

Class of 2019 guard Lester Quinones @Effort_les says Indiana coach Archie Miller will visit him on Thursday. Quinones will commit and sign his National Letter of Intent on Friday, May 10. #iubb

From Alex Bozich

Memphis is going all out to get top ranked 2020 guard RJ Hampton who just reclassified into the 2019 class. They are in his top four schools. I think this certainly bodes well for Quinones and the fact that we are clearly making him the top priority while they will certainly prioritize Hampton first. 

5 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Memphis is going all out to get top ranked 2020 guard RJ Hampton who just reclassified into the 2019 class. They are in his top four schools. I think this certainly bodes well for Quinones and the fact that we are clearly making him the top priority while they will certainly prioritize Hampton first. 

Apparently Memphis is the most likely choice for Hampton, along with Kansas. And Hampton is a 6'5" combo guard just like Lester Q.

An in-home visit right after he visited campus? Hm I don’t know about that. I guess time will tell

Every school is going to visit him one last time he said in an article on the Memphis board

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

From Bozich

“My main goal is just to get to the NBA right now,” Quinones told Inside the Hall. “Whatever school school gives me the best opportunity to reach my goals and aspirations of becoming a pro and has the most tools.

“I need a head coach that, even when I’m not hitting shots, he’s not just going to go to the next guy on the bench. Someone that is going to have faith in me. The relationship with the coach is important and someone that is going to help me get to the next level.”

Quinones also added that he each of the schools on his list are places where he feels he could play major minutes right away.

“The five schools all have great opportunities for me to come in and play right away,” he said. “Now it’s just, ‘which school is going to develop my game to get to the next level?’ And ‘who is going to help me as far being there for me as a support system?’

“I just want to be on a winning team. That’s the main part.”

My take:

Well he wants to win. But man this, I just want to get to the NBA mindset for guys rated like Quinones is crazy. If you are a top 10 guy, I get it. When you are 60. Get to work. Worry about winning, performing and getting better. Then maybe the NBA can be a reality. There is a reason you are 60 instead of 6.

Approx 60 players get taken per year and that includes the entire world.

The mindset worries me.

Just got done reading that on Inside the Hall and immediately came back here to discuss. His comments are worrisome for me as well. I know the NBA is the goal for every player but we’ve seen that go badly here too often. Players that use IU as a stepping stone without investing much in the program. He’s a great player though. I’ll be curious to see what happens 

30 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

From Bozich

“My main goal is just to get to the NBA right now,” Quinones told Inside the Hall. “Whatever school school gives me the best opportunity to reach my goals and aspirations of becoming a pro and has the most tools.

“I need a head coach that, even when I’m not hitting shots, he’s not just going to go to the next guy on the bench. Someone that is going to have faith in me. The relationship with the coach is important and someone that is going to help me get to the next level.”

Quinones also added that he each of the schools on his list are places where he feels he could play major minutes right away.

“The five schools all have great opportunities for me to come in and play right away,” he said. “Now it’s just, ‘which school is going to develop my game to get to the next level?’ And ‘who is going to help me as far being there for me as a support system?’

My take:

Well he wants to win. But man this, I just want to get to the NBA mindset for guys rated like Quinones is crazy. If you are a top 10 guy, I get it. When you are 60. Get to work. Worry about winning, performing and getting better. Then maybe the NBA can be a reality. There is a reason you are 60 instead of 6.

The mindset worries me.

I have to agree with you. On average 10-20 of the 60 are freshman. You may have a player come out of nowhere (Zhaire Smith) but most of the time it is your McDonald's All American players. I have no problem with LQ having NBA dreams..but right now is a bit of a stretch. I will be happy if Indiana gets him. Rob runs the point with upperclassmen Al and Devonte in the backcourt. I'm sure LQ is the first guard off the bench and will see 20 minutes a game. 

I also think that RJ Hampton reclassifying and possibly going to Memphis helps us, regardless of what the insiders are saying. Wasn't LSU the favorite and now Memphis is? LQ even said right now he is leaning towards Memphis and IU. RJ, Wiseman, Jeffries, and Precious (possibly) are all ahead of him at Memphis. They have a few returning players from the NIT team. I think he sees more time playing time at IU. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

From Bozich

My take:

The mindset worries me.

this kid has had way, way, way too much smoke blown up his keister. he may be good, but he aint that good.