Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

I know a lot of people want this kid for whatever reason.   I have little interest in self promoters and attention seekers.   We've been down this road and I know where it leads.

No doubt. Be shocked if we got him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Point well made and well heeded. However, some immature young people have the ability to mature.That's where staff assessment comes into play and where this staff's talent evaluation will sink or swim. 

When they get a low-maintenance/high performance/hard working kid like Phinisee, it's an easy call. When they get a current "look at me" kid, they better be darn sure that they can readily convert that kid to high performance/low maintenance hard working one. There's a lengthy history of kids with problem personalities that turned out great for IU, and a long history of kids with problem personalities that turned out to be, well...problems. Quinn Buckner may not be walking through that door very often, but Landon Turner might be.

If they are wrong? They end up losing that multi-million dollar a year salaried program, and they mainline a stress and sadness IV. 

My problem is I know enough about IMG and the way they do things to believe this is just who Lester Quinones is.   Good luck to him, but in my opinion, he doesn't fit the culture in the Big Ten or for Indiana.   This is a Memphis kid.  A Houston kid.  Not someone who wants to be physical and part of a team that doesn't wear names on the back of their jerseys.

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Self-promotion is really only a problem if a player doesn't put in the work when the time comes. If Lester comes to IU and works his butt off then he can tweet a hundred times a day for all I care. 

I worry a lot about a self promoter playing at a place where they don't put names on the back of the jerseys.

29 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

My problem is I know enough about IMG and the way they do things to believe this is just who Lester Quinones is.   Good luck to him, but in my opinion, he doesn't fit the culture in the Big Ten or for Indiana.   This is a Memphis kid.  A Houston kid.  Not someone who wants to be physical and part of a team that doesn't wear names on the back of their jerseys.

I won’t go as far as to be an absolutist  about the kid, but I absolutely agree that IMG is not a good place. 

PS: Les if you REALLY want to know what the AH game atmosphere is like, ask Trendon. He’s in the third row right next to his brother’s waistband.
https://images.app.goo.gl/a83AdeZhZNGmztKm8
oh wait ... you probably already have done that.

Strap a VR device from the Cuban Center if he wants to experience game day in April

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I worry a lot about a self promoter playing at a place where they don't put names on the back of the jerseys.

I don't completely disagree with you on the self-promotion stuff, but it's something I just have to have faith in Archie about. We see one thing online, and it's not all good, but if Archie doesn't see cause for concern during his interactions with the players then I'm ok with it. 

I guess I saw his tweet as, "Hey, Hoosier Nation, let me know how much I'm wanted and needed."  I saw it as a way for him to gauge his place here.  Whether it's viewed as self-promotion or not, it doesn't mean he doesn't "fit the culture".  For starters, and this is only a matter of my personal opinion (and I acknowledge and accept the opinions from others who hope this teenager never wears candy striped pants...we are all entitled to such an opinion), there is still no culture in place at Indiana under its second-year coach.  My hope is that the addition of a dedicated, hard-working player who will constantly work on his game without being prompted by a coach, is one step towards the type of culture-building I hope to see sooner rather than later.  It's nice to hear of a high schooler who doesn't take any days off.  I miss the days when the majority of the team came in after hours and worked their tails off, especially after watching some of the players from last year's team take game-days off.  I'm not suggesting he is or isn't the right fit because I don't know him personally, but basing one's opinion of a teenager's personality off a couple tweets seems a bit harsh and naive.  I don't like the things I've heard about IMG either, but that doesn't mean every kid who goes through the program is unfit for the Big Ten or unfit for a team that doesn't place a name on the back of a jersey (I mean...if he's considering Indiana, then I doubt he cares too much about whether his name is on his jersey...his name will be in the programs at every game and it will be mentioned anytime he steps onto the court anyway).

Perhaps some who view him as self-promoting due to a couple tweets also disliked Romeo for the same reasons, but if not, then you might be a hypocrite.  Yes, I believe Romeo was waiting it out to make the right decision (as he should have), but I'm quite certain he also had self-promotion as a driving reason for the long, drawn out recruitment and the elaborate and televised announcement of his decision (which I would again say, as he should have).  We all self-promote...why do we write and rewrite our resumes, after all?  If you own a business, why do you advertise?  These kids have a dream of creating a career playing basketball, so it makes logical sense to self-promote.  I don't like the ego anymore than the next guy, but self-promotion to build a career is what we all do if we have any desire to be successful.

Again, I don't like the rumor mill that surrounds certain programs, but perhaps this kid saw potential to improve his game and thought IMG offered him the most of any programs interested in him?  Perhaps this kid is trying to "decide" where he wants to attend college and is tweeting to see how much love and support he has from the program and fans?  I can't say for sure, and for all I know he could be completely self-absorbed and a bad fit for Indiana, but I've yet to hear anyone comment on how they know this kid personally either.  So, for all I know, no one here knows how well he will or will not fit either.

Just my three cents.

And I've said this several times on here, but I would like to say it again...it's so freaking refreshing to see how Trayce handled his announcement.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't completely disagree with you on the self-promotion stuff, but it's something I just have to have faith in Archie about. We see one thing online, and it's not all good, but if Archie doesn't see cause for concern during his interactions with the players then I'm ok with it. 

It's an IMG thing for me, really.  That culture and the desired and proven successful culture at Indiana couldn't be more different, and I'm just not a fan of "look at me" people.   We don't wear names on the back of jerseys for a reason.   That said, I also know Archie doesn't just offer scholarships under a blanket like Crean did, so there's something to your point, for sure.

It's an IMG thing for me, really.  That culture and the desired and proven successful culture at Indiana couldn't be more different, and I'm just not a fan of "look at me" people.   We don't wear names on the back of jerseys for a reason.   That said, I also know Archie doesn't just offer scholarships under a blanket like Crean did, so there's something to your point, for sure.

David Ballou seems to be a very good guy and while he was on the football side he seems to show that not everyone there is trouble.

https://iuhoosiers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2191

3 hours ago, 8bucks said:

David Ballou seems to be a very good guy and while he was on the football side he seems to show that not everyone there is trouble.

https://iuhoosiers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2191

There are zero subjective truths in life about "everyone" or "everything."   I know.   But as a general rule?  That place caters to the individual.  There are plenty of great people and alumni from that place on the baseball side.  Joe Mauer.  Andrew McCutcheon.   Joey Votto.  Nomar Garciaparra. Ryan Zimmerman.  Jamie Moyer. 

On the basketball side?  Not so much.  Michel Beasley?  Taurean Green.  Dwayne Bacon?  Anfernee Simons?  Erick Dampier?  Ronaldo Balkman?   Stop me when you see someone impressive.

Like I said, I just know too much about the place and the basketball people there.  My opinion?  No thank you.   Find a kid from the midwest who's got less ego, more team skills, and wants to win as a team instead of getting the most social media "likes."    

12 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I don't know much about IMG, so that might be part of the reason for my opinion. I wouldn't be able to distinguish them from La Lumiere, Oak Hill, or any of the other prep schools out there. 

According to multiple new rumors it was either between Michigan and IU or Memphis and IU. Michigan canceled the visit so they are out. So either way IU is a finalist and apparently the staff and players made a huge impression on Quinones. So let’s see what happens with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Source?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk