Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ap2345

(2019) SG Lester Quinones to Memphis

This is interesting after the Beverly OV. Are we recruiting to replace two guards? Are we possibly still in the running for lil Wat and Lester is interested?

It’ll be interesting to see how this recruiting cycle plays out.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I still think Green and Romeo are both gone after this year is over.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The latest scandal involving paying others to take ACT and SAT tests has reached into IMG Academy where Quinones is enrolled.  Absolutely nothing suggests he is involved, but most certainly IMG is and the question is obviously was it an isolated case or a pattern at IMG.  The following is from Yahoo Sports.

In July 2018, college admissions con artist William Rick Singer allegedly reached out to Mark Riddell with a problem.

Their scheme to help the son of one of Singer’s clients ace his ACT exam was in jeopardy of falling through.

According to a federal indictment released Tuesday, Singer had arranged a few weeks earlier for the student to take the ACT at a Houston public high school, where the exam would be proctored by an administrator he knew. Singer would then pay Riddell to secretly correct the student’s answers on the completed test and pay the administrator to allow him to do so.

When the student fell in July and was unable to travel to Houston as planned, Singer, his client and Riddell allegedly concocted a fall-back plan. The 36-year-old Riddell would just cut out the middle step and take the exam in the student’s place.

On July 13, Singer allegedly provided a sample of his client’s son’s handwriting so that Riddell could learn to imitate it. The next day, the test administrator allegedly gave the ACT exam to Riddell, who completed it in his hotel room.

Of all the cringe-inducing tales of privilege and corruption in the college admissions bribery case that federal investigators uncovered, the above story could be among the most impactful. That’s because Riddell is the director of college entrance exam preparation at IMG Academy, the famed Florida prep school that serves as a springboard for elite high school athletes pursuing college scholarships from Division I programs.

Riddell has been charged with two counts of fraud for allegedly conspiring with Singer for the past eight years to secretly take SAT and ACT exams in place of actual students or replace students’ answers with those of his own. Department of Justice documents appear to identify Riddell as a cooperating witness who has been working with the government since February in exchange for leniency.

If Riddell has actually been taking standardized tests for Singer’s clients in return for thousands of dollars in bribes, it raises the question of whether he has also provided the same service for IMG athletes seeking to meet minimum NCAA academic requirements. Riddell’s now-deleted bio on IMG’s website said he began working for the school in 2006 and “assisted thousands of students in gaining admission to top American universities such as Stanford, Duke, Columbia, Dartmouth College, the University of Chicago and others.”

“There needs to be a broad-based re-inspection of every test score they achieved, every course they took and who taught those courses,” said Gerald Gurney, assistant professor of higher education at the University of Oklahoma and longtime advocate for reform in college sports.

“It’s another piece of evidence that college sports is corrupt at its very core. How often do we need to see these scandals arise? That’s the question that I ask. When is America going to wise up and put an end to this nonsense?”

Neither Riddell nor IMG head of school Chris Locke could be reached for comment by Yahoo Sports, while IMG football coach Kevin Wright declined comment. The school released a statement late Tuesday night that said, “Today we were made aware of the charges against Mark Riddell. Riddell has been suspended indefinitely as we investigate this matter.”

It’s difficult to ascertain how many of the academy’s athletes worked closely with Riddell, himself an IMG grad who played Division I tennis at Harvard from 2000-04. IMG regularly produces Division I athletes in numerous sports, from football, to basketball, to baseball, to tennis.

Five of the top 60 basketball prospects in the 2019 Rivals rankings attend IMG Academy: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (Villanova), Josh Green (Arizona), Armando Bacot (North Carolina), Terrence Shannon (Texas Tech) and Lester Quinones (undecided). IMG also boasts three of the top 10 football prospects in the Class of 2019: Georgia-bound linebacker Nolan Smith and Alabama-bound running back Trey Sanders and offensive lineman Evan Neal.

In the hours since the Department of Justice disclosed its findings, no colleges have announced plans to investigate the validity of test scores attained by former IMG athletes. Miami, Florida State and Alabama are among the universities with at least a handful of IMG graduates on their football teams.

At EYBL I found a guy from IMG to ask him about Jahmius Ramsey. Skeezy AF. The nature of his questions back was trying to find out if I was somebody, so to speak. Connected but not connected, if you will. I asked about Ramsey's interest in Indiana at one point and the answer was something along the lines of "he could be interested in Indiana..." It was gross. The guy pretty quickly realized I'm a nobody, lol. I know we still poke around at IMG, but for me, it raises some red flags. In this recruitment, where the schools being considered include LSU, Memphis, and Maryland, I just dont see this one going anywhere. 

As to IMG possibly falsifying test scores? Um duh. Something like 10% of revenue producing college athletes read at a 4th grade level. Of course many are college level, and some are exceptional students.  But there's a system in place to make sure these young entertainers are on the field or court, earning the revenue, college admission requirements be damned. 

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

At EYBL I found a guy from IMG to ask him about Jahmius Ramsey. Skeezy AF. The nature of his questions back was trying to find out if I was somebody, so to speak. Connected but not connected, if you will. I asked about Ramsey's interest in Indiana at one point and the answer was something along the lines of "he could be interested in Indiana..." It was gross. The guy pretty quickly realized I'm a nobody, lol. I know we still poke around at IMG, but for me, it raises some red flags. In this recruitment, where the schools being considered include LSU, Memphis, and Maryland, I just dont see this one going anywhere. 

As to IMG possibly falsifying test scores? Um duh. Something like 10% of revenue producing college athletes read at a 4th grade level. Of course many are college level, and some are exceptional students.  But there's a system in place to make sure these young entertainers are on the field or court, earning the revenue, college admission requirements be damned. 

IMG being a high/prep school and also a giant nationally-renowned brand has always seemed sleezy as all hell. This sounds about par for the course. I don’t like it. 

No, other than seeing some tweets about his visit to Memphis. Not sure if IU has the pull on this guy either. But who knows..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The program is in the toilet and not an attractive destination for players. What do we offer that other schools can’t?

Not money
Not consistent NCAA bids

But

Spotlight
Playing time
Improved facilities near too
Big time games

When our prize recruit has to go on Twitter and calm fans that he isn’t decommitting, that’s a bad look.

He is actively recruiting for us. Was hoping we’d get Brooks. But that may have turned out to be another Langford situation. Now he is recruiting Brunk it appears.

I’m hoping we can add 3 new pieces still.

8 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I’m going to be super annoying and try to ruin every thread too!!! How about instead I reply to every one of your posts in an over the top positive way to show you how annoying it is when the same crap is posted every time!

Just stop!

Geez Jaybob; I’m on your side here but your response here was NOT “over the top positive “!