Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

LIHoosier

Ding Dong, Delany's Gone!

Jim Delany is retiring at the end of the academic year 2019-2020.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/03/04/big-ten-commissioner-jim-delany-step-down-announcement

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good. Never should have created these extremely unbalanced football divisions. I’m assuming he was somewhat responsible for that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I know growth is supposed to be good, etc., and I'm admittedly too much of a traditionalist, but I really, really, really hate that Rutgers and Maryland are in our conference. ... I'm not crazy about Nebraska, either, but it's definitely more of a geographical fit. 

32 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I know growth is supposed to be good, etc., and I'm admittedly too much of a traditionalist, but I really, really, really hate that Rutgers and Maryland are in our conference. ... I'm not crazy about Nebraska, either, but it's definitely more of a geographical fit. 

I remember at one point I remember hearing multiple rumors that North Carolina was a possibility. I’m all for strengthening the conference. Rutgers and Maryland were clearly money moves. 

I remember at one point I remember hearing multiple rumors that North Carolina was a possibility. I’m all for strengthening the conference. Rutgers and Maryland were clearly money moves. 

To that point, I don’t mind Maryland due to the fact that they’ve been somewhat successful in multiple sports but yeah Rutgers sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Penn State a bit iffy too!

I don't like Rutgers in the Big Ten.  I don't have a problem with any of the other teams.  I hated the BTT in NYC last season.  Stupid.  And the football divisions are a joke....Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland have the toughest climb in college sports and it's not close.   But....aside from those things Jim Delany was an incredible commissioner; and the Big Ten is WWWWWWAAAAYYYY more financially well off than it was when he took the position.

5 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I don't like Rutgers in the Big Ten.  I don't have a problem with any of the other teams.  I hated the BTT in NYC last season.  Stupid.  And the football divisions are a joke....Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland have the toughest climb in college sports and it's not close.   But....aside from those things Jim Delany was an incredible commissioner; and the Big Ten is WWWWWWAAAAYYYY more financially well off than it was when he took the position.

Michigan is to blame for the unbalanced divisions. 

17 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Football needs those recruiting hotbeds to compete on a national level. There isn’t enough talent in the Midwest to compete without getting kids from jersey and the dmv. Plus the TV markets give all members $$$$. That money, could be used to pay for facilities and help in the arms race.

8 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Talk to me.   That's news to me..   How so?   

Michigan and Ohio State want to be in the same division. Michigan got screwed by having both rivals either home or away the same year when they realigned. Michigan fans aren’t happy about that. Saying it’s Michigan’s fault is not accurate. Michigan fans hate Delaney as much as the rest of the conference fans. 

Michigan and Ohio State want to be in the same division. Michigan got screwed by having both rivals either home or away the same year when they realigned. Michigan fans aren’t happy about that. Saying it’s Michigan’s fault is not accurate. Michigan fans hate Delaney as much as the rest of the conference fans.