Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BottomLine

The scramble at the end

Time to do some crazy speculating.  IU is 6-10 in conference and has two remaining games with Illinois and Rutgers.  If we win both we are 8-12 in conference.  Minnesota is 8-10 and has remaining games with Purdue at home and Maryland on the road.  They could lose both and finish 8-12.  Ohio State is 8-10 and has a road game at Northwestern and a home game with Wisconsin.  The should beat Northwestern but let's say they don't and then lose to Wisconsin in Columbus.  They would finish 8-12.  Rutgers is 7-11 and has a home game with Penn State and then goes on the road to Indiana.  If they hold serve against Penn State but lose on the road to Indiana they finish 8-12.  Finally we have Illinois.  They are 6-11.  They have home games with Northwestern, Indiana, and Penn State.  If they lose to Indiana and beat both Northwestern and Penn State, they finish at 8-12.  And, there you have it a potential five way tie for 7th in the Big Ten and a tie breaker nightmare.  Just food for thought on a crazy day when IU knocks off #6.  Go Hoosiers!

Edited by BottomLine
typo

That would be pretty crazy. If everything happens as you described IU would have a 3-3 record (2-0 vs Ill, 1-1 vs Rutgers, 0-1 vs O$U, 0-1 vs Minn) against those teams. I’m not sure what seed IU would get in the BTT but that scenario is bananas. K. Wesson could be out for their final 2 games if his suspension was related to hanging with Tiny.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That would be pretty crazy. If everything happens as you described IU would have a 3-3 record (2-0 vs Ill, 1-1 vs Rutgers, 0-1 vs O$U, 0-1 vs Minn) against those teams. I’m not sure what seed IU would get in the BTT but that scenario is bananas. K. Wesson could be out for their final 2 games if his suspension was related to hanging with Tiny.

Just playing mental math but the thing is, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility.  Amazing how few games the middle bunch has left against the top of the conference.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Rutgers would be 3-4 (1-1 vs IU, 1-1 vs Minn, 1-1 vs O$U, 0-1 vs Ill)
Ill would be 3-4 (1-0 vs Rutgers, 1-1 vs Minn, 1-1 vs O$U, 0-2 vs IU)

Is that how the ties would be broken?  Then how do you break the 3-3 and 3-4 ties?

That would have O$U with the 7 seed in the BTT, IU 8, Minn 9, Ill 10, and Rutgers 11. I could be totally off on that but that’s just giving the records a quick review. I believe IU would play Rutgers on the second day then if they win they’d play the 2 seed (UM or MSU most likely) on the third day.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That would have O$U with the 7 seed in the BTT, IU 8, Minn 9, Ill 10, and Rutgers 11. I could be totally off on that but that’s just giving the records a quick review. I believe IU would play Rutgers on the second day then if they win they’d play the 2 seed (UM or MSU most likely) on the third day.

Wouldn’t Minn get the 8th by virtue of their head to head win with us. Both would be 3-3

Here if the breakdown:

Big Ten Basketball Tournament Tiebreakers

Oct. 26, 2015

I. Teams shall be seeded No. 1 through No. 14 in the tournament bracket based on the final regular-season Conference standings.

II. A team’s seed shall correspond to its regular-season finish (i.e., the champion shall be the No. 1 seed, the runner-up the No. 2 seed, etc.).

III. Teams that finished Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the regular-season shall receive a “bye” through the first two rounds.

IV. In case of a tie for any place finish in the regular-season standings, the following tie-breaking procedure shall be followed in order to seed teams in the tournament bracket:

A. Two-team tie:

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.

2. Each team’s record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings (or in the case of a tie for the championship, the next highest position in the regular-season standings), continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

a. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.

b. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

3. Won-loss percentage of all Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.

B. Multiple team tie:

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.

a. When comparing records against the tied teams, the team with the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

b. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).

2. If the remaining teams are still tied, then each tied team’s record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

a. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.

b. When comparing records against a single team or group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

3. Won-loss percentage of Division I opponents.

4. Coin toss conducted by Commissioner or designee.

Wouldn’t Minn get the 8th by virtue of their head to head win with us. Both would be 3-3

I don’t believe so, see the post above. If I recall correctly, it’s record vs. ALL teams tied for that position and then record vs. highest seed. IU and Minn are 0fer vs pu and UM so IU would get the next seed by having a 2-0 record vs. MSU. Again, I could be interpreting that co platelets wrong.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

I don’t believe so, see the post above. If I recall correctly, it’s record vs. ALL teams tied for that position and then record vs. highest seed. IU and Minn are 0fer vs pu and UM so IU would get the next seed by having a 2-0 record vs. MSU. Again, I could be interpreting that co platelets wrong.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think you are right good call 

SIAP, but I have always enjoyed messing around on this website. It has a bracket generator that lets you pick the winners of the final games coming down the stretch and it will generate the bracket based off who wins.

It calculates tiebreakers and all.

http://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=mbb

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

SIAP, but I have always enjoyed messing around on this website. It has a bracket generator that lets you pick the winners of the final games coming down the stretch and it will generate the bracket based off who wins.

Nice. If things stay where we’re at, I’d love that draw. I want PU again. Call me crazy

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Nice. If things stay where we’re at, I’d love that draw. I want PU again. Call me crazy

I agree. A Minnesota match up in the first game is pretty ideal as well.

I just hope we stay away from Michigan and Michigan state. Don’t think we can beat Sparty a third time, and Michigan just plays so well in tournament settings.

Just now, IUc2016 said:

I agree. A Minnesota match up in the first game is pretty ideal as well.

I just hope we stay away from Michigan and Michigan state. Don’t think we can beat Sparty a third time, and Michigan just plays so well in tournament settings.

Agreed. We are almost certainly the 8 or 9 if we win out. And if we are 7 we’d get MSU. In this context I’d rather be the team that’s been beaten twice than the one that’s won twice. 

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

Yesssss I go looking for this site every year and someone always comes in clutch and posts it. Thanks!