Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bigred3588

A Little Perspective...

When it comes to the coaching debate, there seem to be two schools of thought. Some of us say that Miller's system takes time to properly build and implement, while others think the program should be well ahead of where it is. I looked at ESPN's website this morning and saw that Virginia was currently considered to be the number 1 overall seed and decided to look at their roster and see which opinion the evidence supports. And yes, I know there are small nuances used by coaches in the pack line defense, but it's the same basic philosophy. Anyway, the players listed are the only players on the roster that average more than 5 mpg.

Kyle Guy - 34 mpg, Junior

Ty Jerome - 32 mpg, Junior

De'Andre Hunter - 31 mpg, Redshirt Sophomore

Kihei Clark - 26 mpg, Freshman 

Braxton Key - 22 mpg, Junior

Mamadi Diakite - 21 mpg, Redshirt Junior

Jack Salt - 19 mpg, Redshirt Senior

Jay Huff - 10 mpg, Redshirt Sophomore

Conclusion: 8 man rotation, 7 of which have been in Bennett's system for at least 3 years. Also, 5 of those 8 shoot over 40% from behind the arc. I'm going to stick to my opinion that some of our fans just need to chill out and be patient...

29 minutes ago, Rico said:

Now compare that with IU's 83-84 season or 89-90's.

I don't see the point in comparing two completely different systems when the system was the point of the original post, but I did take a quick look at the 1989-1990 team.

18-11 record and first round tourney exit with 2 McD's all-americans, a parade all-american, and some guy named Calbert Cheaney. I feel like I heard something about him being pretty good too. I'm not sure I'd throw them out there for comparison considering that team only had 4 more wins than ours and quite a bit more talent.

4 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I don't see the point in comparing two completely different systems when the system was the point of the original post, but I did take a quick look at the 1989-1990 team.

18-11 record and first round tourney exit with 2 McD's all-americans, a parade all-american, and some guy named Calbert Cheaney. I feel like I heard something about him being pretty good too. I'm not sure I'd throw them out there for comparison considering that team only had 4 more wins than ours and quite a bit more talent.

Playing freshmen that were not accustomed to Knight's system...just playing devil's advocate here.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Playing freshmen that were not accustomed to Knight's system...just playing devil's advocate here.

Yes, Knight played some of the best freshmen in the country that he personally recruited using a system that had been in place for almost 20 years. And accomplished 4 more wins than what we currently have.

Sorry, I just don't see that particular team as evidence supporting arguments made by Miller's detractors. Their situations aren't even comparable.

12 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Yes, Knight played some of the best freshmen in the country that he personally recruited using a system that had been in place for almost 20 years. And accomplished 4 more wins than what we currently have.

Sorry, I just don't see that particular team as evidence supporting arguments made by Miller's detractors. Their situations aren't even comparable.

Just keep posting your narrative...I am cool with that.

4 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

When it comes to the coaching debate, there seem to be two schools of thought. Some of us say that Miller's system takes time to properly build and implement, while others think the program should be well ahead of where it is. I looked at ESPN's website this morning and saw that Virginia was currently considered to be the number 1 overall seed and decided to look at their roster and see which opinion the evidence supports. And yes, I know there are small nuances used by coaches in the pack line defense, but it's the same basic philosophy. Anyway, the players listed are the only players on the roster that average more than 5 mpg.

Kyle Guy - 34 mpg, Junior

Ty Jerome - 32 mpg, Junior

De'Andre Hunter - 31 mpg, Redshirt Sophomore

Kihei Clark - 26 mpg, Freshman 

Braxton Key - 22 mpg, Junior

Mamadi Diakite - 21 mpg, Redshirt Junior

Jack Salt - 19 mpg, Redshirt Senior

Jay Huff - 10 mpg, Redshirt Sophomore

Conclusion: 8 man rotation, 7 of which have been in Bennett's system for at least 3 years. Also, 5 of those 8 shoot over 40% from behind the arc. I'm going to stick to my opinion that some of our fans just need to chill out and be patient...

I agree fans need to be patient but Virginia won 31 games last year and 23 the season before.

There are plenty of statistics on both sides to support whatever anyone wants to believe. Bennett did not have overnight success because he brought in a pretty different style. He stuck to his principles and is seeing the payoff.

Archie is bringing in a totally different style, and he is also learning somethings along the way. Most here are pretty passionate about IU basketball, and we caught up in the season as it is unwinding. Realistically though, as much as we all wanted this to be a smooth and easy transition, we had to know it wouldn't. Having said that, no one could have imagined the skid we've endured in January and February. 

I like Archie and think he will build success sooner than later. I do hope he can learn to make some changes in the future a little sooner than he has this season, but I also realize he is playing the hand he has been dealt to a certain extent. It's not often you can draw three  cards and end up with a straight flush. Most times you end up with a pair.

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Just keep posting your narrative...I am cool with that.

My narrative? Exactly which part of my comment wasn’t a fact? That group was considered IU’s best recruiting class of all time, true or false? That group included the B1G’s all time leading scorer, true or false? Bob Knight recruited those players along with every other player on that team, did he not? Knight had been at IU for almost 20 years, had his system in place, and had already won his 3 titles, correct?

Apparently you must think none of those factors influence a team’s success.

35 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

My narrative? Exactly which part of my comment wasn’t a fact? That group was considered IU’s best recruiting class of all time, true or false? That group included the B1G’s all time leading scorer, true or false? Bob Knight recruited those players along with every other player on that team, did he not? Knight had been at IU for almost 20 years, had his system in place, and had already won his 3 titles, correct?

Apparently you must think none of those factors influence a team’s success.

Whoa, none of that is what I was saying at all.  Knight took freshmen, put them in his system and won.  Went to the Elite Eight in 84, correct?  Took a bunch of frosh into the NCAAT in '90, correct?  Those young guys didn't know his system, correct?  But your narrative is patience and give Tony as one example, correct?  You are preaching patience, correct?  

Excuse me, you do have a narrative.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Whoa, none of that is what I was saying at all.  Knight took freshmen, put them in his system and won.  Went to the Elite Eight in 84, correct?  Took a bunch of frosh into the NCAAT in '90, correct?  Those young guys didn't know his system, correct?  But your narrative is patience and give Tony as one example, correct?  You are preaching patience, correct?  

Excuse me, you do have a narrative.

You quoted me and then said “keep posting YOUR narrative.” It’s not my narrative; it’s what happened. If you were referring to my original post, then quote my original post.

The narrative of the original post is that his system takes time to build and implement. That means recruiting players that work for his system and giving them time to develop; especially these first couple classes. Which is exactly why your references don’t apply.