Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierSadaseci

IU basketball becoming irrelevant

You buried the lede!

Rampant cheating?

It is weird that we have this conversation, and it's taboo to mention the sustained success gained through cheating.  If I recall, the text messages by Sampson would have been legal were he not already on probation from his previous job, and the bigger issue was that he was not forthcoming during the investigation.  Indiana did nothing to cheat, pay recruits, anything.  The phone calls/texts were impermissible only as to Sampson.  As we've seen, the self-sanctions meted out by IU were worse than anything that has happened to those other schools, despite their transgressions being several orders of magnitude worse.  Why can an article like that be written without specifically referencing what we know of how Self builds a roster?  Or the academic sham that UNC had going?  (Gonna whine here...)  It's not fair.  

And seriously, I get that it's been 30 years since our last championship.  Do you know what you get if you earn a banner every 30 years?  Blueblood status.  Kansas is at 3 in what, 80 years?  I can do averages.  They won in 52, 88, and 08.  Separated by 36 years and 20 years.  UCLA has a record 11, but 10 of those came from that window when we lumped coaching praise on Wooden for the team that Sam Dilbert purchased.  Why isn't that mentioned?  UCLA has one otherwise, in 95.  Duke is the hotness right now, but it was done under one coach.  Kentucky, an impressive program, besmirched their name when they hired Calipari.  

Anyway, we might be the worst blue blood you've ever heard of... but you have heard of us.  Meaning at least we still get mentioned.  Our program is still insanely valuable.  This year has really been a kick in the nuts.  Everybody is ready to let us back in the conversation.  Then we go on a little 7 week siesta.  

Proper respect to everyone else holding their tongues on this.  "But we don't cheat like all the others" is definitely an excuse.  But sometimes the excuse is the reason, or part of it.  I've read many times that we'd have won big with Sampson.  Maybe/probably.  But the same athletic department everyone seems to revile also made the call that Indiana will run a clean program.  At the end of the day, I'm okay with that.  Things might be changing.  One-and-dones are ending.  FBI stepped in where the NCAA wouldn't, and might clean it up a little (it will never be perfect).  We might have one of the great young coaches (TBD), at a time when Duke/UNC/KU/UK are likely closer to a transition.  We even got rid of some drop ceilings.  Maybe we're set up nicely for the future, and can enter a new era with our integrity--and blueblood status--intact.  

Great post - one note and one correction: Sam Gilbert is the UCLA guy, not the sad-sack cartoon most famous for it's necktie. And, most important, Kentucky was a den of villainy long before Cal got there.

Basketball fans, who live and die season to season, are not very good at the long view of things. And basketball is far more important to us than the average IU grad or the public in general. I'm hopeful that CAM can give us the stability to grow a consistently successful program. I'm encouraged by his temperament and his ability to stay calm and to stick with the process. I think that is the recipe for what we have all been waiting for.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Archie knows what he is doing. We've been without Race for most of the season, and we saw what he did against Wisconsin. Jake has looked promising when we've seen him. Jerome hopefully will be able to play next year.Archie is recruiting the right people, imo. We just need to get them all healthy and back onto the court. I still think the future is bright. 

Absolutely!

Not becoming irrelevant we have been irrelevant for 25 years. Jury is out on archie but all the other hires were not good ones

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

True - some other programs were much better about cutting bait early when they knew a guy wasn't right. The IU administration has been dysfunctional in their hiring/firing decisions.
Keeping crean on as long as freddie boy did probably cost us good in state recruits like kris wilkes. The scary thing is freddie boy still did not want to fire him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

IU basketball irrelevant, but they're on national TV 9 times.(not FS1 or BTN), draw Duke in the BT/ACC challenge and are still being talked about by bracketologists as an NCAA team despite 14 losses.   They also move the needle on local and national radio shows where...say Purdue does not.

I'd disagree with irrelevant; but replace that with a program that's down which a whole lot of people of influence want to be good.

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup. Heck, if IU was irrelevant then this article never would have been written. The fact that this article exists shows that IU basketball is extremely relevant. 

You don't see articles like this about Boston College, Wake Forrest, Minnesota, Cal, etc. 

Exactly.

Now, and for the past few years we were out of the conversation in the big ten, and for many more years on the national stage.  But, when we begin making deep tourney runs and playing for championships, our past legend will be rekindled nationally (because unlike most, we have a rich history of success) - it really is the "sleeping giant" situation.

Now, if Archie can just wake the big lumbering Rip Van Winkle up!

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup. Heck, if IU was irrelevant then this article never would have been written. The fact that this article exists shows that IU basketball is extremely relevant. 

You don't see articles like this about Boston College, Wake Forrest, Minnesota, Cal, etc. 

Great point

19 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Kind of convenient that the writer started judging teams from 2003 which is a year after we were in the championship game of the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

"Click bait" and it worked.

IMO, Indiana basketball has become irrelevant because the administration wants it to be irrelevant. After RMK, the powers that be have chosen to never put the university in the position of being a basketball program with a university. RMK and the program in the '70s and '80s was just that... and some argue that Knight's success allowed his boorish behavior to rule the day. When John Ryan left IU, so did any aspiration for a successful blue blood basketball program. 

The ADs since that time have also been content with making money and being "decent". Clearly they have the ability to focus on the program, and simply have chosen not to, again, IMO.

IU basketball irrelevant, but they're on national TV 9 times.(not FS1 or BTN), draw Duke in the BT/ACC challenge and are still being talked about by bracketologists as an NCAA team despite 14 losses.   They also move the needle on local and national radio shows where...say Purdue does not.
I'd disagree with irrelevant; but replace that with a program that's down which a whole lot of people of influence want to be good.

Embrace the sleeping giant/underdog status imo. We will get there. We may have had a rocky road but there is no killing this program. Indiana is basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app