Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Can the Hoosiers go dancing?

When will the NCAA release their algorithm for NET? And what changes are they going to make? Personally I don’t think it is a good idea to have a hidden algorithm like that. I don’t think it’s a good idea to base things off of only one rating system. I think the NCAA needs to involve multiple things. NET, RPI, BPI and whatever else they can use and create a composite that brings in a much better rating average.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Net is the main sorting tool but each committee member has the other metrics at their disposal while they are in the room discussing teams. Not sure if they will ever release the formula but they need to in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Another bubblicious Thursday

NET 21 Cincinnati (25-4) at 28 UCF (22-6)

57 Temple (21-8) at 96 UConn (14-15)

175 NJIT (21-11) at 45 Lipscomb (24-6)

55 Indiana (15-14) at 95 Illinois (11-18)

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Good night for bubble teams

UCF takes down Cincinnati at home 58-55. Both teams seem to be safely in. Temple hosts UCF this weekend. That’s a good opportunity for Temple to get a solid quad 2 win.

Temple goes on the road and gets a 78-71 win at UConn. I don’t think that is enough to get them in but would have hurt if they lost. See above, hosts UCF.

Lipscomb routes NJIT 78-55 in the ASUN tourney. That’s one they couldn’t afford to lose. Lip plays Lib in their next game. That’ll be a solid quad 2 opportunity for Lipscomb.

Indiana goes on the road and cruises to a 92-74 win. A solid quad 2 win they couldn’t lose. Indiana hosts Rutgers on senior night in a must win game.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Good night for bubble teams

UCF takes down Cincinnati at home 58-55. Both teams seem to be safely in. Temple hosts UCF this weekend. That’s a good opportunity for Temple to get a solid quad 2 win.

Temple goes on the road and gets a 78-71 win at UConn. I don’t think that is enough to get them in but would have hurt if they lost. See above, hosts UCF.

Lipscomb routes NJIT 78-55 in the ASUN tourney. That’s one they couldn’t afford to lose. Lip plays Lib in their next game. That’ll be a solid quad 2 opportunity for Lipscomb.

Indiana goes on the road and cruises to a 92-74 win. A solid quad 2 win they couldn’t lose. Indiana hosts Rutgers on senior night in a must win game.

No one will care but the Hoosiers cannot finish below 500 and locked up a NIT bid just in case they can’t get a couple more wins

So as long as we win against Rutgers then we have a chance for a quality win in the first game right? Winning that then the next one against whoever gets the one seed would pretty much make us a lock for the tourney, you'd have to assume, right?

So as long as we win against Rutgers then we have a chance for a quality win in the first game right? Winning that then the next one against whoever gets the one seed would pretty much make us a lock for the tourney, you'd have to assume, right?

If we beat Rutgers at home (17-14) then get by Minny or O$U in our first BTT game (18-14) then take down MSU or UM in the quarter finals (19-14) we would be a lock.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

If we beat Rutgers at home (17-14) then get by Minny or O$U in our first BTT game (18-14) then take down MSU or UM in the quarter finals (19-14) we would be a lock.

I could see an argument for if we beat Rutgers then beat ether OSU or Minny us being a lock. too many high quality wins. But yeah, lets just go a head and beat the #1 seed too in this scenario. Leave no doubt

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

If Hoosiers get the win against Rutgers, wins two in the BTT, then loses in the final, that would be 15 losses.  Has there ever been an at large team in with 15 losses?  

I could see an argument for if we beat Rutgers then beat ether OSU or Minny us being a lock. too many high quality wins. But yeah, lets just go a head and beat the #1 seed too in this scenario. Leave no doubt

I’d be sweating bullets at 18-15 but it could be enough. If we beat Minny or O$U that would also help us out.

1 minute ago, jbell833 said:

I think if we beat Rutgers and then win 1 in the BTT we are a lock without a doubt. If we finish 17-15 we still may slide in depending on how many bid-stealers there are.

purely my opinion, but i don't think 1 win in the BTT is a lock. not saying we couldn't slide in, but i'd say to approach lock status, we need to win 2. otherwise, we're relying on help (other's losing).

13 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Several. Vandy in 2017 and Alabama last year.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracket-beat/2017-02-17/college-basketball-teams-make-ncaa-tournament-double

"The most losses any at-large team in the tournament ever had is 14, which has happened 11 times (five in 2011 alone)." - March 1, 2017

Looks like 2017 was the first time any team with 15 losses received an at large bid (Vanderbilt).  Commodores certainly not going anywhere this year!  

I think if we beat Rutgers and then win 1 in the BTT we are a lock without a doubt. If we finish 17-15 we still may slide in depending on how many bid-stealers there are.

I think we have to get to 18 wins as well. If we do that I think we are in. We have the quality wins. We just need wins. 19 wins and we are probably in a 8/9 game.

10 hours ago, jbell833 said:

That's what I'm concerned about.  The bid stealers.  Two or three bid stealers and we're on the bubble at 18-15 won't work out well for us.

5 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Finishing 18-15 would probably be enough for a #1 seed in the NIT.

It would be great to go on a run here in March. There is always a team or two that gets hot at this time of year. Why not IU?

To be honest, I'd be completely happy making a run in the NIT and winning it.  There's lots to build on from late season success like that.

14 minutes ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

I want Romeo and Juwan to get to the dance. NIT run would be good for the team, but I want those two in the tournament. They’ve busted their @$$ this year.   Juwan deserves a chance to play in the tournament before he’s gone. 

Juwan did play his freshmen year to be fair

45 minutes ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

For the first time in FOREVER, Indiana is playing their best basketball at the end of the season. THAT is the recipe for success.  Love it. 

That was the thing that always flummoxed me about our former coach. ... For the longest time, Izzo was known for his teams' strong play in March, and Crean was his right-hand man for 4-5 years. Yet his teams always seemed to fade this time of year. I would think as a coach, you aim for two things (well, a lot of things, but these two for sure): 1) to be in a position in which March games matter; 2) to be playing your best ball in March, when presumably, those games matter.A couple of those seasons when we had no at-large hopes, I always thought we could maybe get hot in the B1G tourney, but we never did.