Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Can the Hoosiers go dancing?

I’m not fluent in the NET rankings but I don’t see Iowa dropping 17+ spots to a non quad 1 opponent in the BTT. That’s even if we get to face them. As for the NW at Ill and Rutgers vs PSU, again, I don’t think it’ll change enough to drop them enough to change quads. The most important thing is for IU to keep winning. If they get all those wins (4) and they’re quad 2 and 3 then IU should still get in. It’s the quantity IU needs right now and not the quality.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Iowa dropped a little further than I thought they would. They went from NET 33 to 41. However, if they win one of their next two they’ll stay in the top 50. They could even stay in with 2 losses but a first game loss in the BTT would probably drop them out.

53 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Iowa dropped a little further than I thought they would. They went from NET 33 to 41. However, if they win one of their next two they’ll stay in the top 50. They could even stay in with 2 losses but a first game loss in the BTT would probably drop them out.

8 spots for a bad home loss (Q3) isn't that bad. 

thought IU would get more than a 4 spot bump for Q1 win. concerned about the bumps we'll get from IL and Rut should we win.

thought IU would get more than a 4 spot bump for Q1 win. concerned about the bumps we'll get from IL and Rut should we win.

Yeah, 8 spots isn’t too bad. They’ll have opportunities in the next two. Rutgers jumped up 10 spots to 94. I believe all Big Ten teams are inside the top 100 now.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Yeah, 8 spots isn’t too bad. They’ll have opportunities in the next two. Rutgers jumped up 10 spots to 94. I believe all Big Ten teams are inside the top 100 now.

Having everyone inside the top 100 is great for us. 

It's going to be really interesting the next couple weeks.

I'm a big fan of the NET system. Makes it so much easier to follow and predict.

from what I have gathered studying the
NET all year is that it rewards road victories way more then home victories. If you lose a home game to a team lower in rankings then you are then you are going to get hammered. If you win a home game you were suppose to win or even against a better team your NET doesn’t move much but if you win a road game your net will move a bunch. San Francisco lost at home yesterday and dropped 14 spots. Ohio destroyed Akron on the road and jumped up 23 spots.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

25 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

from what I have gathered studying the
NET all year is that it rewards road victories way more then home victories. If you lose a home game to a team lower in rankings then you are then you are going to get hammered. If you win a home game you were suppose to win or even against a better team your NET doesn’t move much but if you win a road game your net will move a bunch. San Francisco lost at home yesterday and dropped 14 spots. Ohio destroyed Akron on the road and jumped up 23 spots.

I just figure, most teams outside of the top 50, getting even a home Q1 win over a top 10 team (one with the best Q1 record in the nation), might be worth more than 4 spots. i mean how many teams outside of the top 50 get wins like that. i know i know, it's likely some algorithm that doesn't care :-)

I just figure, most teams outside of the top 50, getting even a home Q1 win over a top 10 team (one with the best Q1 record in the nation), might be worth more than 4 spots. i mean how many teams outside of the top 50 get wins like that. i know i know, it's likely some algorithm that doesn't care :-)

That’s some of the problem with the NET. No one really knows what goes into the Team Value Index algorithm. Ncaa for some reason is keeping that secret as of now. A lot bracketoligist want to know what goes into it so they can update their websites earlier and not have to wait on the ncaa. With rpi we at least new the formula and recreate if we wanted to. As of now we cannot do that with the NET

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

That’s some of the problem with the NET. No one really knows what goes into the Team Value Index algorithm. Ncaa for some reason is keeping that secret as of now. A lot bracketoligist want to know what goes into it so they can update their websites earlier and not have to wait on the ncaa. With rpi we at least new the formula and recreate if we wanted to. As of now we cannot do that with the NET

No monopoly ever said "here's what's in our secret sauce" lol...

In all seriousness, I think they'll keep it under wraps to avoid criticism of logic. and they might still be in tweaking phase. as it is with all selection committees that use a mix of algorithms and human judgement, they are already under the microscope. the more that's unknown, the more they can spin narrative to support their final output.

From a couple of updated bracketologies I’ve seen today, Minnesota is one of the last 4 in and we are the first 4 out. Minny plays Purdue at home this week and then at Maryland. If they lose both they would be 8-12 and of course if we win out we’re 8-12 as well. Now, do you root for Minny to ruin Purdue’s chances at the B1G Title or root for Purdue to nudge Minny off the bubble???

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Max Strus with 41 as DePaul hands St Johns a bad loss.

Good for IU

St Johns is a strange one. They are behind us in NET, but "in" in just about every bracket projection I've seen. The loss is bad (DePaul sucks), but it's a road loss. I don't see them dropping as much as Iowa.

But yes, regardless, good for IU. We need every team around us in NET rating to lose as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

From a couple of updated bracketologies I’ve seen today, Minnesota is one of the last 4 in and we are the first 4 out. Minny plays Purdue at home this week and then at Maryland. If they lose both they would be 8-12 and of course if we win out we’re 8-12 as well. Now, do you root for Minny to ruin Purdue’s chances at the B1G Title or root for Purdue to nudge Minny off the bubble???

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Got to cheer for MN losses. All of them lol. It hurts to cheer for PU, but you have to if you're an IU fan. Hold your nose

Hopefully wins against Illinois and Rutgers can bump us into top 50 Net wise. We got the quality wins, we just need quantity wins now. Net rating usually rewards road wins pretty significantly so @Illinois is a big game.

Edited by Hoosierfan222

We’re talking 1 play in three games (O$U, pu, at Iowa) to be 18 and 11 and comfortable in.

This got me thinking. The Arkansas, 2 Iowa games, Peeyew, O$U and Maryland game. If we win just half of those 6 games, we are in comfortably right now.

9 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

This got me thinking. The Arkansas, 2 Iowa games, Peeyew, O$U and Maryland game. If we win just half of those 6 games, we are in comfortably right now.

Butler and the two against MSU. If we had lost those games we'd be absolutely out.

As Bill Parcells said "We are what our record says we are."

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Butler and the two against MSU. If we had lost those games we'd be absolutely out.

As Bill Parcells said "We are what our record says we are."

With the new NET criteria, maybe we aren't what our record says we are :-)

we didn't make it on to ESPN's new bracetology bracket/bubble, but we are listed now on the bubble watch tab as "work to do"

baby steps

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25923557/mid-majors-going-lose-out

84.png?w=110&h=110

Indiana Hoosiers

With still another thrilling win over Michigan State and a season sweep against the Spartans, Indiana is back in the bubble discussion. The Hoosiers can claim six Quad 1 wins on the year, and, while they also have suffered nine Quad 1 defeats, the high number of quality victories is sufficient for IU's profile to at least get a hearing "in the room" as they say. If (and it's no small if) Archie Miller's men win at Illinois and at home against Rutgers, they'll finish the season at 17-14 overall and 8-12 in the Big Ten. That could get the job done. (Updated: March 2)

Edited by Irish YJ