Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Can the Hoosiers go dancing?

Per NBC....

INDIANA (NET: 58, SOS: 179): Look, I get it. Indiana is 15-14 on the season. They are 6-12 in the Big Ten. They have been a massive disappointment based off of what the expectations were for this team back in November. But after knocking off No. 6 Michigan State in Bloomington on how many teams in all of college basketball can match these five wins: A sweep of Michigan State (6), Wisconsin (15), Marquette (21), Louisville (25). They also won at Penn State (50) and beat Butler (55) on a neutral.

Overall, Indiana is 6-9 in Q1 games. All 14 of their losses have come against Q1 and Q2 competition. And in a year where we are talking about teams without anything even remotely close to a quality win on their resume, Indiana, at the very least, is in the thick of the conversation.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Per NBC....

INDIANA (NET: 58, SOS: 179): Look, I get it. Indiana is 15-14 on the season. They are 6-12 in the Big Ten. 

Sagarin has our strength of schedule as the 5th toughest in the country. How in the world does NBC have it at 179 when we are in the BT and played Duke, Marquette and the Ville ???

13 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Sagarin has our strength of schedule as the 5th toughest in the country. How in the world does NBC have it at 179 when we are in the BT and played Duke, Marquette and the Ville ???

Don't ask the postman...that is word for word what was on NBC this morning.  Haven't been back to see if they updated it or not.

15 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

are you sure you're not looking at non-conference SoS (which is bad).Overall SoS is top 10 by most metrics.

I think a lot of people are overlooking one more possible factor other than just the NET and Quad system...and that’s revenue. Can you imagine if IU gets in and plays one of the First Four games in Dayton??? The storyline of Archie going back to Dayton to coach his first tourney game with Indiana in his old arena, the proximity of Dayton to Indiana and the ticket sales amongst not only IU fans/alumni but Dayton fans to see their old coach in action. Lastly, the ratings for a First Four game with Indiana...historically the ratings have been pretty low and I’d guarantee they’d be off the charts for an IU game. If anyone thinks the committee doesn’t take this stuff into consideration when laying out the bracket and making final selections is lying to themselves. There’s a reason IU was underseeded as a 5 seed in our last appearance and magically were placed in the same region as 4 seeded Kentucky...these things help our chances more than a St. Mary’s or Furman who would have virtually zero draw. Now we just need to win these final 2 and I’ll feel pretty good...3 wins and we’re 100% a lock.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Money is what the committee loves. We could have the same resume as Dartmouth and guess who would get in?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

IU because of the schedule because Dartmouth would never play our schedule or they would get in all the same?

IU because of the schedule because Dartmouth would never play our schedule or they would get in all the same?

That would be impressive for them to schedule 20 Big Ten opponents in the same season. I’d have them in just for that.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Money is what the committee loves. We could have the same resume as Dartmouth and guess who would get in?

I’m guessing if Indiana had the same resume as Dartmouth, Indiana would not be getting in.

That would mean Indiana would be 11-17 overall and 198th in the NET.

Nice try though :)

Good job not getting the point.  

Good job throwing out these hypotheticals that are in no way possible or able to say with even a percentile possible or not. The better record by their way of justifying is how the equal teams without names would hypothetically get in. Like seriously, this is a stupid exercise in mental gymnastics. Now if you said Penn St. let’s have that discussion. Because they are about the only team that could come close while feasibly playing a similar schedule. But I guess we have to go with Dartmouth, a team which has literally a 0% chance of ever being able to schedule or play one like Indiana. Which kind of goes back to why schools that aren’t mid majors have an easier job of showing the committee they are better.  

3 hours ago, jbell833 said:

I think a lot of people are overlooking one more possible factor other than just the NET and Quad system...and that’s revenue. Can you imagine if IU gets in and plays one of the First Four games in Dayton??? The storyline of Archie going back to Dayton to coach his first tourney game with Indiana in his old arena, the proximity of Dayton to Indiana and the ticket sales amongst not only IU fans/alumni but Dayton fans to see their old coach in action. Lastly, the ratings for a First Four game with Indiana...historically the ratings have been pretty low and I’d guarantee they’d be off the charts for an IU game. If anyone thinks the committee doesn’t take this stuff into consideration when laying out the bracket and making final selections is lying to themselves. There’s a reason IU was underseeded as a 5 seed in our last appearance and magically were placed in the same region as 4 seeded Kentucky...these things help our chances more than a St. Mary’s or Furman who would have virtually zero draw. Now we just need to win these final 2 and I’ll feel pretty good...3 wins and we’re 100% a lock.

Nice post! I agree with you here. 3 wins and we are a lock for sure. I think we still get in if we win the last 2 and lose our first in the BTT or lose at Illinois, win vs Rutgers and win 1 in BTT. But screw that, lets just win the next 2 and win at least 1 in the BTT so we can all feel a little better. I really want to play Purdue in the BTT, hope everything lines up for that to happen. 

Nice post! I agree with you here. 3 wins and we are a lock for sure. I think we still get in if we win the last 2 and lose our first in the BTT or lose at Illinois, win vs Rutgers and win 1 in BTT. But screw that, lets just win the next 2 and win at least 1 in the BTT so we can all feel a little better. I really want to play Purdue in the BTT, hope everything lines up for that to happen. 

Yeah I am not sure I want MSU again. Them or Wisconsin. I think we are just a bad matchup for UM. PU seems to be the path I would prefer too.

I don’t think we get in with a 17-16 record (lose at Ill, win vs. Rutgers, and win one in the BTT). The absolute minimum is winning out in the regular season (17-14) and then beating a Minnesota or O$U in the first game and losing the second BTT game to get to 18-15. I really won’t expect to get in unless we get to 19 wins.

20 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I don’t think we get in with a 17-16 record (lose at Ill, win vs. Rutgers, and win one in the BTT). The absolute minimum is winning out in the regular season (17-14) and then beating a Minnesota or O$U in the first game and losing the second BTT game to get to 18-15. I really won’t expect to get in unless we get to 19 wins.

Agreed. We can’t have 16 losses unless we lose the next 2 then win the BTT 

So lose thursday and we are out?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Let’s just win the damn thing and make it easy for them!

And doing that would bring one helluva smile to my face.  I just want to win the damn thing once...all I am asking for.

Let’s just win the damn thing and make it easy for them!

No, let’s speculate what seed we would get if we won it..

Say, we play the 8-9 game of the BTT, after winning the next two. We’ll most likely get Minny or O$U in the second round. That’s a quad 2 win against another bubble team to get to 18-14. Then we’d meet, most likely, purdoo in the quarterfinals. That would add another quad 1 win before a Maryland or Wisconsin in the semis, another quad 1. We go to the finals where we finally beat Meat chicken and add another quad 1 win brining our win streak to 8 with 5 of them being quad 1 wins. The committee looks at our resume and deems us unworthy of a tourney birth because we didn’t have a .500 record in regular season conference play but (!) we get the number 1 overall seed in the NIT with a 21-14 record along with a conference tourney championship.