Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Wisconsin at Indiana Game Thread - ESPN - 9:00pm

Finally, can someone explain to me what the hell CAM was trying to do to close out OT? We had 2.2 seconds, needed to inbound to a shooter, and had Deron nearest the ball with RP in bounding and Romeo running as far from the ball as possible. What was the intention there?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Wondering...  A couple of weeks ago, a few guys were killing me for saying we didn't "need" DeVonte Green.  Are those thoughts still there?   Guy played just 11 minutes; and STILL managed to give away 4 possessions and almost single handedly cost Indiana the game with those, and a completely boneheaded defensive play.

Our ceiling is higher with Green.  Also means when he plays like he Dick yesterday our floor is lower.  But when you have lost 11 of 12, you sometimes have to take the risk.

The fact also is we have four guards on the roster and we start three.  Even if he hurts us sometimes, we need the depth.

42 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Smith had a nice game, but I saw him over play or fail to close passing lanes on at least three doubles that resulted in his man getting to the rim with ease. It’s been pretty consistent all year - Smith getting lost on defense in doubles or screens, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He also had two near turnovers with inexplicably bad passes, one with a minute to go in regulation to Davis when Davis wasn’t open.  Luckily it was tapped away and not stolen and we recovered but it should have been stolen.  Stats wise he played well, overall he was maybe “ok”.  I’m still in the weed him out camp.

7 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Did anyone else like what they saw from Smith tonight?  I haven't gone back through every page and it may have already been brought up; but I thought he was very good tonight minus the foul trouble.   12 points on 5-9 from the floor, 6 rebounds, and 2-2 from the line.   Only 1 turnover.

Also loved seeing Phinisee back to his old self.  11 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 0 turnovers.    I like the trend of this team.  Might be a slow grind; but I do like some of what I see.

Not to berate the kid after having a good stat night but I still saw a lot that I didn't like.  Happ blocked him out once in the 2nd half and literally moved him 3 feet off of his spot.  Lazy passes;  one late in the game should've been a steal but we got it back.  No bulldog mentality although I did see him actually hustle two times; once on the fast break dunk with Rob and the other trying to deny Reuvers an inbound pass and chased him the length of the court when Wisky had to throw it long to get it in. 

I agree with Old Friend. Dakich calls him as he sees them. He understands the game and makes timely observations.  Sometimes those observations are critical of IU play (much deserved for most of the season) and sometimes they are praising IU play. The idea that he was rooting for Wisconsin is absurd. IU won last night. Why are people focusing on Dakich? Give it a rest and enjoy the victory.

Great win!  I always enjoy beating Wisconsin.  Different result on the court, same old broken record from some on here on bashing the kids though.  That's disappointing. 

As for Dakich, I'm a fan.  I like it when he does our games and I usually defend him.  Last night he was awful.  He deserves the criticism he gets today.

32 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I agree with Old Friend. Dakich calls him as he sees them. He understands the game and makes timely observations.  Sometimes those observations are critical of IU play (much deserved for most of the season) and sometimes they are praising IU play. The idea that he was rooting for Wisconsin is absurd. IU won last night. Why are people focusing on Dakich? Give it a rest and enjoy the victory.

Wrong

He was actively rooting for Wisconsin last night.. I don't know what leads you to believe that "he loves IU more than maybe anyone" after last night's broadcast.. Other guys call games at their old schools and they act much different than Dakich does when he calls IU games. 

Hummel during PU games...case in point. He’s unbiased and actually a good commentator.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He was actively rooting for Wisconsin last night.. I don't know what leads you to believe that "he loves IU more than maybe anyone" after last night's broadcast.. Other guys call games at their old schools and they act much different than Dakich does when he calls IU games. 

Mostly because not one word of what I said had anything to do with his broadcast last night.

He's not broadcasting to Indiana fans.  Yeah, he placated the people who believe people get homered in Assembly Hall; but you know what?  The rest of the Big Ten believes teams get homered in Assembly Hall and have for decades.  He made that point.  And it's true.   So what if others act differently?   

He also had two near turnovers with inexplicably bad passes, one with a minute to go in regulation to Davis when Davis wasn’t open.  Luckily it was tapped away and not stolen and we recovered but it should have been stolen.  Stats wise he played well, overall he was maybe “ok”.  I’m still in the weed him out camp.

Rumor is he “weeded” himself out of a few games this year. Don’t bash me for perpetuating idle rumors....it’s a joke!

I'm to the point I think people are just hearing what they want to with Dakich.

I usually don't mind him, he's praised the team when warranted and criticized when deserved (which has been a lot); he called Green's foul in 2 OT stupid because it was mind numbingly stupid.  He went too far last night at times but usually I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be.

8 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

Hummel during PU games...case in point. He’s unbiased and actually a good commentator.

Yup, Hummel is enjoyable to listen to. If there's anyone who should have bias against IU it's a former Purdue player, but if he has any he doesn't show it because he knows how to be a professional. 

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Am not a subscriber, so I can't read it. But it sounds interesting ... 

Not the same article, but this one's free and talks about his concussion/aftermath too. 

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/02/thompson-finally-all-the-way-back/