Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Wisconsin at Indiana Game Thread - ESPN - 9:00pm

47 minutes ago, Josh said:

Great win!  I always enjoy beating Wisconsin.  Different result on the court, same old broken record from some on here on bashing the kids though.  That's disappointing. 

As for Dakich, I'm a fan.  I like it when he does our games and I usually defend him.  Last night he was awful.  He deserves the criticism he gets today.

Dakich is the king of bashing Indiana players...

I also have only read legitimate game based evidence criticism of players in this thread. Green insensibly went for a flashy game winning block and fouled Trice allowing him to tie the game at the line. Smith made a lot of lazy or thoughtless mishaps as well. Even CAM is taking legitimate flak in this thread.

However, there is plenty of praise and celebration of the good decisions and play by all. I think this is pretty balanced conversation, so no need for you to focus purely on the negative.

37 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

no need for you to focus purely on the negative.

I don't feel like I did.  I saw a lot that I liked.  I just threw out one line about a couple posters that are broken records after every game.

I was very happy with Race last night.  I didn't expect his quickness or athleticism.  We played much more inspired than we had since the start of 2019.  And of course....the win!  

Only thing IU can do is go forward. Those close losses can’t be changed. Let’s say the crazy thing happens. IU wins out and goes 17-14. After that, two wins in the B1G tournament. Does 19-15 get them in the dance? It could just for the fact it’s IU
There is no margin for error. Like you said it will likely take 5 wins in a row.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't feel like I did.  I saw a lot that I liked.  I just threw out one line about a couple posters that are broken records after every game.

I was very happy with Race last night.  I didn't expect his quickness or athleticism.  We played much more inspired than we had since the start of 2019.  And of course....the win!  

I am a huge Race Thompson fan. The scouting report I read a few years ago about his post defense being his strength coming out of high school was spot on. He really bothered Happ last night and rebounded well. 

Just hope he can stay healthy so he can get some rhythm on offense.   

I am a huge Race Thompson fan. The scouting report I read a few years ago about his post defense being his strength coming out of high school was spot on. He really bothered Happ last night and rebounded well. 
Just hope he can stay healthy so he can get some rhythm on offense.   

It almost looked like Happ was just throwing up shots in the first half expecting a foul to be called. Race played great position defense and didn’t back down from anyone. If he could develop some post moves similar to JMo he could be a beast as an upperclassman. I’ll take solid post defense, rebounding, energy, and attitude until his offense comes along.

I loved that he nailed his free throw after he missed the first.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

So happy we finally decide to let Romeo dribble the ball down the floor on the final play. All those handoffs were simply not working. Get the ball to a playmaker and let him go to work. Wisconsin made a mistake, Romeo did what great players do and took advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

I'm to the point I think people are just hearing what they want to with Dakich.

I usually don't mind him, he's praised the team when warranted and criticized when deserved (which has been a lot); he called Green's foul in 2 OT stupid because it was mind numbingly stupid.  He went too far last night at times but usually I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be.

Exactly. He’s real. He doesn’t sugarcoat his words. Some people don’t like that

So happy we finally decide to let Romeo dribble the ball down the floor on the final play. All those handoffs were simply not working. Get the ball to a playmaker and let him go to work. Wisconsin made a mistake, Romeo did what great players do and took advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agreed on letting him take it after a bucket and control the entire possession. I haven’t loved our plays built for him after a time out. I’m so glad he finally just took it to his guy and went to the hoop instead of pulling up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed on letting him take it after a bucket and control the entire possession. I haven’t loved our plays built for him after a time out. I’m so glad he finally just took it to his guy and went to the hoop instead of pulling up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I can understand his hesitation in previous games. It showed last night when he got the handoff at the end of regulation and Iverson was allowed to hack down on his arms. The Big Ten loves them some “tough” defense (if you’re a known defensive team).

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I can understand his hesitation in previous games. It showed last night when he got the handoff at the end of regulation and Iverson was allowed to hack down on his arms. The Big Ten loves them some “tough” defense (if you’re a known defensive team).

I’m all for letting defenses play but the big ten has to do something about this perception. 

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

If we have Phinisee and Race all year, IU is a lock tournament team. 

Not to mention a healthy Davis.  Earlier in the year some stated he did not fit into Archie’s system but I think his play (even though he is not fully in condition and/or battling injuries) shows how important he is, especially against BT opponents like PU/Wiscy/MSU/MD that tend to have big bodies.  I love how he battles underneath even though he can no longer jump off a phone book (in a future post I will explain what a phone book is for the benefit of our younger posters)

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I don't think Dakich is a saint at all.  I just don't disagree with him the way some do; and I didn't find him insufferable at all.  The way he sees things may not be what many want to hear and his style isn't as smooth as it could be; but I appreciate the way he does games and he knows his stuff.  He's not supposed to be John Laskowski.   If most are sick....why?   

I happen to know him, and I know he loves IU maybe more than anyone here.  He also knows WAY more than anyone here.  He's not one to sugar coat anything; and I don't want him to.   He's been right about effort.  Right about who needs the ball and that same kid not wanting to get on the floor or standing in a corner.   It's not what IU fans genuinely want to hear; but I don't have the problem with the guy many do.   Probably no surprise to a lot of people who will roll their eyes at my comments.

But....I said two years ago Green was awful.  This season, some said we "need" him.  I disagreed then, and there was an exchange.  I don't see that opinion anymore.

Thank you! It's freaking unbelievable that so many on here that are supposed to be so knowledgeable about the game want to continuously bash Dakich. He is absolutely correct in most that he says but some think that because he doesn't play a bias for IU, he has got this huge axe to grind towards the program. He loves Indiana and has his opinions about the program. He has earned his right and understands much more than most. Especially on this forum. "My School!" 

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Not the same article, but this one's free and talks about his concussion/aftermath too. 

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2019/02/thompson-finally-all-the-way-back/

I’d like to read a compilation of all the posts blaming Glass and Kevin Wilson for Race being held out.  It’s just another reminder not to use anonymous internet doctors :)

2 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I’d like to read a compilation of all the posts blaming Glass and Kevin Wilson for Race being held out.  It’s just another reminder not to use anonymous internet doctors :)

I don't think anyone was blaming them for Race. People were just confused because we weren't getting any information about him. The frustrations were surrounding Phinisee being kept out.

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

I'm to the point I think people are just hearing what they want to with Dakich.

I usually don't mind him, he's praised the team when warranted and criticized when deserved (which has been a lot); he called Green's foul in 2 OT stupid because it was mind numbingly stupid.  He went too far last night at times but usually I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be.

This

Thank you! It's freaking unbelievable that so many on here that are supposed to be so knowledgeable about the game want to continuously bash Dakich. He is absolutely correct in most that he says but some think that because he doesn't play a bias for IU, he has got this huge axe to grind towards the program. He loves Indiana and has his opinions about the program. He has earned his right and understands much more than most. Especially on this forum. "My School!" 

I don’t want him to be bias towards IU. When he’s commentating I want to hear about the game and plays. He’s extremely knowledgeable about the game and breaking down plays. He was over the top about IU getting all the calls in the “hall of calls.” How was it that Happ was allowed to discard a player on a rebound and get the outback. Dan said something about grown man move. On the other end everything was textbook and IU should have had more fouls.

Another point the Big Ten needs to adrenaline is charges. You’re supposed to be set when the offensive player leaves his feet. I’ve seen this called wrong in so many Big Ten games. Another is a defender riding his man into a set player. That’s a blocking foul most places in the country but is a charge in the Big Ten.

I’m sure Dan wants IU to succeed. Dan also knows that if he’s over the top he’ll get more listeners and upset fans following his show the next day. It’s a business after all and Dan is good at that.