Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Wisconsin at Indiana Game Thread - ESPN - 9:00pm

6 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Wondering...  A couple of weeks ago, a few guys were killing me for saying we didn't "need" DeVonte Green.  Are those thoughts still there?   Guy played just 11 minutes; and STILL managed to give away 4 possessions and almost single handedly cost Indiana the game with those, and a completely boneheaded defensive play.

It's your Sainthood for Dakich that they were killing you for, not the critique of DG! : )  He really sh@#t the bed all over IU tonight in his 'neutral role' as ESPN commentator - making most on here sick to their stomach through their ears.  He truly was insufferable tonight and let his vendetta flare!

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

True. Would feel a lot better if our guards could be more careful and not foul out

Durham had a couple of silly ones, for sure.   The last one was really careless.  You can have your hands down there w 4 fouls.

Just now, Old Friend said:

Did anyone else like what they saw from Smith tonight?  I haven't gone back through every page and it may have already been brought up; but I thought he was very good tonight minus the foul trouble.   12 points on 5-9 from the floor, 6 rebounds, and 2-2 from the line.   Only 1 turnover.

Also loved seeing Phinisee back to his old self.  11 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 0 turnovers.    I like the trend of this team.  Might be a slow grind; but I do like some of what I see.

He’s certainly not a lost cause. But if he’s got the locker room issues we have heard would still say time for him to go 

6 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

It's your Sainthood for Dakich that they were killing you for, not the critique of DG! : )  He really sh@#t the bed all over IU tonight in his 'neutral role' as ESPN commentator - making most on here sick to their stomach through their ears.  He truly was insufferable tonight and let his vendetta flare!

I don't think Dakich is a saint at all.  I just don't disagree with him the way some do; and I didn't find him insufferable at all.  The way he sees things may not be what many want to hear and his style isn't as smooth as it could be; but I appreciate the way he does games and he knows his stuff.  He's not supposed to be John Laskowski.   If most are sick....why?   

I happen to know him, and I know he loves IU maybe more than anyone here.  He also knows WAY more than anyone here.  He's not one to sugar coat anything; and I don't want him to.   He's been right about effort.  Right about who needs the ball and that same kid not wanting to get on the floor or standing in a corner.   It's not what IU fans genuinely want to hear; but I don't have the problem with the guy many do.   Probably no surprise to a lot of people who will roll their eyes at my comments.

But....I said two years ago Green was awful.  This season, some said we "need" him.  I disagreed then, and there was an exchange.  I don't see that opinion anymore.

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

Did anyone else like what they saw from Smith tonight?  I haven't gone back through every page and it may have already been brought up; but I thought he was very good tonight minus the foul trouble.   12 points on 5-9 from the floor, 6 rebounds, and 2-2 from the line.   Only 1 turnover.

Also loved seeing Phinisee back to his old self.  11 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 0 turnovers.    I like the trend of this team.  Might be a slow grind; but I do like some of what I see.

Agree on Smith tonight. He played under control for the most part tonight was active and confident around the basket with the ball, and generally played hard. Maybe getting benched the second half at Iowa had an impact. 

Also, I’m really happy with what Race is giving. That kid is a smart, active, tough player, and it really changes things when you have both Smith and Race. It gives Archie options that he didn’t have before if Smith was struggling. 

The impact of the Phinisee concussion on this season was huge. He was really just beginning to really build his confidence before he went down, and just now the last two games looks like he’s back on track. 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He’s certainly not a lost cause. But if he’s got the locker room issues we have heard would still say time for him to go 

I'd submit the kids need to clean those up, whatever they are unless there are drugs involved.  I've heard a girl and I've heard a fight over a practice disagreement.   Players can clean that stuff up.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The impact of the Phinisee concussion on this season was huge. He was really just beginning to really build his confidence before he went down, and just now the last two games looks like he’s back on track. 

Yep.   This, I think is the missing piece nobody could put a finger on.  I said in January "can it be that simple?"  Yeah,...I think it can.

Just now, Old Friend said:

Yep.   This, I think is the missing piece nobody could put a finger on.  I said in January "can it be that simple?"  Yeah,...I think it can.

Certainly a piece. Missing our only true big and our only PG at the same time caused exponential problems. 

It’s just so depressing. A game here or there. A couple plays made and we’re comfortably in the tourney. It really sucks to think about. Archie has faults. No doubt. I still feel comfortable with him at the helm and leading us. We’re once again playing our best ball at the end of the season. Could this be the year we win the BIG tourney? I’ve seen crazier things. 

Why just happened?! Talk about cheering for joy one second, then the world is ending the next. Regardless, a win is a win and will take it!

Loved the teams overall effort (minus the terrible lineup that let Wisconsin in it, the the main lineup who played so flat right after), especially on the defensive side. Our offense was better overall, and it’s amazing how the offense opens up when we hit some 3’s.

What guts by Davis for fighting through being sick, and Race defending Happ with missing so much time. Just think how good not just this team but how good Race would be if not for that concussion?!

Very proud of this team. Win out (doable) and take 1 or 2 games in the BTT then that puts us on the bubble with our resume. I don’t see it, I see this team a strong contender in the NIT, but from what this team has come back from is great to watch.

I feel this could have been a top 20 team of Davis, Rob, and Hunter we’re fully healthy at least most of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Re: Do we need Green?

Not when Al and Phin are putting up productive minutes like they did last night. Unfortunately, that hasn’t been the case most of the season, thus the cause of the debate whether he’s needed or not.

In a perfect world, I agree we don’t need him. But if Al and Phin aren’t getting productive minutes, he’s a gamble, but a necessary one. Regardless, I’d like to see another guard eat his minutes next year.

Smith had a nice game, but I saw him over play or fail to close passing lanes on at least three doubles that resulted in his man getting to the rim with ease. It’s been pretty consistent all year - Smith getting lost on defense in doubles or screens, in my opinion.

Also, for the what has Bruiser done for me lately crowd, he was the one who got the refs to review the deflected shot by Romeo that went OB originally called Wisconsin ball, reviewed and properly given to the Hoosiers.