Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

One and done is (done)

I've seen the stories about this, but do any say if a basketball player signs a LOI, he has to stay in college for 2-3 years -- or perhaps can't be drafted for 2-3 years from the time he signed? ... Otherwise, players technically could play in college for a season, then declare for the draft. 

32 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

“Coincidental” that it was released today after Zion Williamson’s injury last night, but the NBA has submitted to the players association it’s proposal to lower the draft age from 19 to 18 beginning with the 2022 draft. Link

Get your tickets now for March 5th or 6th, 2022; Coach K's last home game.

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I thought the Players Association has historically opposed dropping the draft eligibility age.  

That’s what I had always understood. They care about their current members not the heir future members. They want as few of their members losing their jobs to unproven rookies as possible

57 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

That’s what I had always understood. They care about their current members not the heir future members. They want as few of their members losing their jobs to unproven rookies as possible

Maybe they should quit drafting on the potential of 19 year olds then.

We’ve had this rule before. Now instead of UK getting the top 8 one and done, now they get the 9-30ish along with Duke and a handful of others. Elite teams still win with the 2-3 year players and we try to compete with the leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I am fine with that. I feel we were far more successful in that range.

Edit: I am not sure they will give in on the medical records though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We’ve had this rule before. Now instead of UK getting the top 8 one and done, now they get the 9-30ish along with Duke and a handful of others. Elite teams still win with the 2-3 year players and we try to compete with the leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There may be more parity between say 25 and 100. There are a handful of real difference makers each year and then the rest are a bit closer.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I doubt it goes through with the NBA wanting access to medical records. I think this is more for show. Furthermore, the Dooks, pukes, Uof6, Kansas, and U of No Classes will just pay the next best players to attend their programs. They did long before the OAD rule and will do it again.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

4 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I've seen the stories about this, but do any say if a basketball player signs a LOI, he has to stay in college for 2-3 years -- or perhaps can't be drafted for 2-3 years from the time he signed? ... Otherwise, players technically could play in college for a season, then declare for the draft. 

I think this solution is the best if proposed.  Works in baseball...kids have to stay 3 years, I think.   Better for everyone.  If a kid is ready for the NBA, he should be able to go; but "ready for the NBA" has to mean more than a kid can jump or is a man-child.  Can he handle the travel?  The money?  The lifestyle?  The expectations?  The pressure?  There's a lot more to it than just basketball talent; so if the NBA would truly make the D League someplace valuable, they'd wok with the NCAA and provide a place to go for kids who don't want college but truly do have NBA potential.  The biggest problem is so many kids are told they do and they go to college with that in their heads, then have everything fall apart for them and end up in Europe or Asia playing ball.   Which is fine, but it's not the NBA.