Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Indiana at Iowa Game Thread: 2/22 - 9:00pm - FS1

He was looking like Steph because he has the quick release.  Please tell me your kidding me about the overtime shot being lucky.  Your putting me on right?  The kid can shoot.  Nothing lucky about it.  He buries teams.  I can understand if you still think it’s being lucky.  Maybe you don’t know what a shooter looks like since we don’t have one.

LMAO man, you must be really thin skinned if that’s all it takes to get you worked up over a guy who even said it was a lucky shot..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Bohannon even said in an interview with Katz it was lucky. He said he couldn’t even really see the rim but it felt good leaving his hands and was fortunate it went in.

Archie said it best postgame.  The kid is clutch and you gotta make your own breaks.  Good players make shots especially when it’s crunch time.

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

Just checked out the NCAA stats for 3 FG % and FT % and we are ranked 320th and 325th (out of 353). WOOF. The fact that we are even in these games is remarkable. But hey let's just keep blaming Archie here...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's weird to me that some look at these stats and think that's not on Archie, rather than the opposite. This team is not devoid of shooters, but we don't run plays for them; we're the worst screening team I've seen in years. We take what the other team is willing to give us, and so our worst three points shooters are the ones who end up taking most of the shots. Last night Iowa went zone, and we just settled for trying to shoot over it. Too often a three is attempted after we haven't been able to get anything going in the half court and the shot clock is winding down; small wonder we aren't making a great percentage. Our poor shooting from distance is a symptom of our struggles on offense, not the cause.

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

Just checked out the NCAA stats for 3 FG % and FT % and we are ranked 320th and 325th (out of 353). WOOF. The fact that we are even in these games is remarkable. But hey let's just keep blaming Archie here...

When it's a trend over years, and awful FT shooting is with Miller's teams, you have to start looking at the coach.  Over the years his teams haven't been particularly good from 3 either, but not as horrendous as the FT.

Those numbers, especially the FT%, aren't a one year aberration.  It's commonality with all his teams.

25 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

It's the coach's fault guys aren't hitting their FREE throws??? You think these guys don't shoot free throws in practice. If you're playing Division 1 basketball you should probably already have figured out your best technique to shoot a FREE throw.

It's that old cliche, right? Practice doesn't make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect. Plenty of guys enter Division I with poor mechanics. If what they're doing right now isn't working, practicing more on their own apart from the coach staff isn't going to improve things. The players need someone to step in and make corrections. Given Archie's track record at Dayton, I'm not sanguine.

Does anyone know yet why Juwan didn’t get foul shots after it appeared he was hit while shooting a 3? Does anyone with officiating knowledge have some insight into the call there? Why a side out? Was the play called a foul? It seemed clear to me that it was pretty much textbook for a 3 shot penalty. So what gives? Even the announcers said nothing.

So, nobody attempted to answer my question about this last night. It did come in quite early this morning, and I assume it was just missed. I’ll quote it here to ask again. Anyone have a legit reason or heard an explanation?

13 minutes ago, HoosierRobbie said:

LMAO man, you must be really thin skinned if that’s all it takes to get you worked up over a guy who even said it was a lucky shot..

What do you want him to do in the post game interview?  Beat on his chest?  You call it lucky.  Archie calls it being clutch and that good players make clutch shots in winning time.  I tend to agree with Archie.

8 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

So, nobody attempted to answer my question about this last night. It did come in quite early this morning, and I assume it was just missed. I’ll quote it here to ask again. Anyone have a legit reason or heard an explanation?

I didn’t understand this either and I don’t remember anyone on our side being upset about it.

4 minutes ago, Jesus Shuttlesworth said:

What do you want him to do in the post game interview?  Beat on his chest?  You call it lucky.  Archie calls it being clutch and that good players make clutch shots in winning time.  I tend to agree with Archie.

This. And As Old Friend posted last night, IU has nobody who can do that. 

Also, if you rewatch the three that tied it in regulation, Green completely relaxed and got turned around defensively and lost Bohannon. It was horrible. How you relax on a game-defining play like that when defending the one guy you don’t want to lose track of is inexplicable. 

12 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

See above post

19 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I’m wondering the same damn thing. How did nobody notice. He was fouled on the 3 point attempt and the refs made them take a sideline out of bounds. 

I'll admit I did not watch the game nor did I listen to it on radio as I truly didn't expect us to put up a fight. 
What's the nature of Phinisee's injury?

Looked like he came down on another players foot, after jumping for a rebound. Tweaked his ankle and was visibly limping during the defensive possession. He should be 100 by Sunday practice.

Out of curiosity anyone know stats for Alford’s teams for FT%. I DO NOT want Alford as a coach and I’m still giving Archie time just genuinely curious.

70.3% and ranked 166 over the past 4 years. Middle of the road.

I’m wondering the same damn thing. How did nobody notice. He was fouled on the 3 point attempt and the refs made them take a sideline out of bounds. 

I’ve re-watched the play a number of times and it simply baffles me. He’s definitely fouled, and he definitely has two feet behind the 3 point line. I wonder, because the ball was long out of his hand when the contact took place, does it then become a non-shooting foul? If it is, it’s a rule change I didn’t know about.

29 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I was thinking the same thing at the time the play happened and I don't recall seeing any replay. My only guess is that the foul came.....after the shot? Maybe the defender (not even sure who it was) came down and then bumped into Morgan as they fell out of bounds? Only logical explanation I can think of. 

5 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I’ve re-watched the play a number of times and it simply baffles me. He’s definitely fouled, and he definitely has two feet behind the 3 point line. I wonder, because the ball was long out of his hand when the contact took place, does it then become a non-shooting foul? If it is, it’s a rule change I didn’t know about.

Ah, you beat me to it. Is this actually a rule change though? A very similar play happened to me many many years ago playing in (I think) 8th grade AAU ball. I hit a three and the defender jumped to defend it way late and came down, fouling me as he couldn't stop his momentum. We happened to be in the bonus so I got a chance for a 5 point play. Hit the first....missed the second. Mentally, my game never really recovered. Hung up the sneakers after freshman ball......oh what could have been! :-)

Ah, you beat me to it. Is this actually a rule change though? A very similar play happened to me many many years ago playing in (I think) 8th grade AAU ball. I hit a three and the defender jumped to defend it way late and came down, fouling me as he couldn't stop his momentum. We happened to be in the bonus so I got a chance for a 5 point play. Hit the first....missed the second. Mentally, my game never really recovered. Hung up the sneakers after freshman ball......oh what could have been! :-)

Another promising career, derailed by the ever looming specter of the penalty foul shot. So sorry for your loss. No, I don’t know and have not heard of a rule change of that sort. Like other another poster said, “nobody on our bench seemed upset”. So I just figured I must have missed something, but for the life of me, I can’t figure it out.