Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Indiana at Iowa Game Thread: 2/22 - 9:00pm - FS1

I am overall pleased with the performance of our Hoosiers last night. They fought hard, executed better than usual, and just played a better brand of IU basketball that we can all get behind. My two biggest issues with IU last night were: free throws and jacking up long range shots for not reason. I’m probably the most frustrated with the refs last night, they were awful, especially in the 2nd half/OT.

Positives:

- IU survived the first half with limited minutes from Morgan and Davis.
- Rob and Fitz playing their best games in awhile.
- While Iowa missed some open shots, IU’s defense was excellent.

Those are just some off the top of my head. Also, Rob’s defense on Bohanan was incredible. When he went out with an injury in OT that put the nail in the coffin for us. I am very pleased with the overall play, and am encouraged going forward!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It wasn’t a crap play. Langford with the ball at the top. Morgan sets a high ball screen that forces Iowa to switch. Morgan bails, leaving Langford 1 on 1 with Garza. Langford elects not to go to the rim and settles for a tough, though makeable, 3 that he missed. The play got them exactly what they wanted, which was Langford on Garza. Question Langford’s decision, not the play.

His 3pt shooting has improved, but this is my biggest gripe offensively with Romeo. He doesn’t seem to make the right decision. He settles for these threes and drives into double teams at the rim without dumping out to the open man.

I sort of think he just didn’t have to try or think as hard in high school because of how talented he is.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm beating a dead horse. But I really believe Alford wouldnt have done this bad.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

IU is basically paying Archie Miller and Tom Allen to "learn on the job."

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

And yet, you want to pay Alford to fail on the job. Alford is a trash coach, and based on his handling of the Pierre Pierce situation at Iowa and response to it at UCLA, likely a trash human.

I’d rather lose than see that man as our HC.

1 hour ago, HoosierRobbie said:

Yep, that elite 8 and ncaa tournament showings are equal to 5 win seasons in football.

Archie hasn’t been great by no means but that is just a horrible comparison, everyone is mad about the losing, but Archie cant do much about a guy that hasn’t scored all game just throwing up 3s at the end.

The kid just has a quick release and is a good shooter.  He wasn’t just throwing them up and getting lucky.  He has done it to a few teams and has buried us twice.  

The part that I don’t get is that we have a kid in state (which was supposed to be a priority) that is an obvious need and that has this same quick release and shot that this coaching staff has shown zero interest in.   

4 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Just checked out the NCAA stats for 3 FG % and FT % and we are ranked 320th and 325th (out of 353). WOOF. The fact that we are even in these games is remarkable. But hey let's just keep blaming Archie here...

I get what your saying but dig deeper and check out the stats from Dayton.  This FT % isn’t an anomaly.  At some point....

5 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Just checked out the NCAA stats for 3 FG % and FT % and we are ranked 320th and 325th (out of 353). WOOF. The fact that we are even in these games is remarkable. But hey let's just keep blaming Archie here...

Yes, the stats are there for all to see. I think we are playing our best ball now, but lack of shooting has cost us many wins. Archie isn’t immune either, as I believe better late game coaching would have given us a couple more wins in the Big this year. When combining these with injuries, suspensions and players attitudes; the end result is not hard to understand.

This team won a lot of close games early on but with the same formula. Go through Romeo or Morgan. Even the Butler game was that way and yet the shot had to be put up by Rob as a 3rd choice at best.

This far into the season, teams are not going to let us use Morgan or Romeo they way we want to use them. Yet we keep trying to down the stretch.

At one point in the year Romeo was pretty confident on a jab step 10 - 15 foot shot - remember that? He has seemingly abandoned that part of his game and that is something that I think he needs. Not the jab step three but something midrange like he had earlier in the year.

I also think we need to look for Rob or Al for an outside shot as we go down the stretch. Too much attention on Romeo and Morgan and too much dribbling from those 2. I would love to see something set up for Rob or Al and if open they tar the shot or drive then dish to Romeo or Morgan.

Putting the ball in Romeo or Morgan’s hand 20 feet from the basket is just not a winnng formula for us now.

The kid just has a quick release and is a good shooter.  He wasn’t just throwing them up and getting lucky.  He has done it to a few teams and has buried us twice.  
The part that I don’t get is that we have a kid in state (which was supposed to be a priority) that is an obvious need and that has this same quick release and shot that this coaching staff has shown zero interest in.   

Never said anything about him not being a good shooter, but he was looking like steph curry out there.. and the shot that he hit to send it to overtime was extremely lucky.

I get what your saying but dig deeper and check out the stats from Dayton.  This FT % isn’t an anomaly.  At some point....

It's the coach's fault guys aren't hitting their FREE throws??? You think these guys don't shoot free throws in practice. If you're playing Division 1 basketball you should probably already have figured out your best technique to shoot a FREE throw.

20 minutes ago, HoosierRobbie said:

Never said anything about him not being a good shooter, but he was looking like steph curry out there.. and the shot that he hit to send it to overtime was extremely lucky.

He was looking like Steph because he has the quick release.  Please tell me your kidding me about the overtime shot being lucky.  Your putting me on right?  The kid can shoot.  Nothing lucky about it.  He buries teams.  I can understand if you still think it’s being lucky.  Maybe you don’t know what a shooter looks like since we don’t have one.

5 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

It's the coach's fault guys aren't hitting their FREE throws??? You think these guys don't shoot free throws in practice. If you're playing Division 1 basketball you should probably already have figured out your best technique to shoot a FREE throw.

It would be beyond an anomaly to be bottom half in the NCAA 8 years in a row because of bad luck. 

3 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

Look at your last sentence again.  You just made my point for me.  Now go look at the stats from Dayton.

1 hour ago, jbell833 said:

EXACTLY! Been saying it all season.

He was looking like Steph because he has the quick release.  Please tell me your kidding me about the overtime shot being lucky.  Your putting me on right?  The kid can shoot.  Nothing lucky about it.  He buries teams.  I can understand if you still think it’s being lucky.  Maybe you don’t know what a shooter looks like since we don’t have one.

Bohannon even said in an interview with Katz it was lucky. He said he couldn’t even really see the rim but it felt good leaving his hands and was fortunate it went in.

15 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

let you in on a little secret if Alford here the team is shooting 85%+ and this game is ours