Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Team Chemistry Issues?

There's two things I want to point out that I think are important: Archie's teams at UD had generally very good chemistry with proven leaders (Dyshawn Pierre, Scoochie Smith, Kenall Pollard) and he was mostly successful on the transfer market (Vee Sanford, Charles Cooke, Jordan Sibert). I know it's not the A10 anymore, but Archie not only knows how to coach, he knows how to build a team with class balance and leaders. 

Losses are losses but I have been pleased to see some fight with the team the last few games. If Archie can keep them playing with this fight the rest of the year I will feel a little better.

It is not easy to get a team back after losing them mid year. We won at MSU and probably should have at Iowa.

Finish of the year with this effort and go into the offseason hungry. Then I will feel a lot better about next year than I did when we were losing games by 20.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It’s just nice that other teams won’t look at us as a sure win the rest of the year. Man, that feels awkward to say....

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Eh? Iowa goofed around a lot of the game doing Iowa things. They had terrible passes that led to turnovers, didn’t get it inside to Cook enough, and struggled from deep. They stayed connected and then hit shots when they had to.

I don’t see teams looking at us as sure wins but that it’s very possible to beat us, anywhere, with a little effort.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

19 hours ago, coonhounds said:

For some reason coach k and Izzo still aloud to coach kids we seem to get kids who don't want to be held accountable and it shows. I am not saying they are clean or ethical just saying they get actual stars and seem tough on them our guys can't handle anything it seems

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

Coach K, Cal, Wright, and Izzo have a little cachet that Arch hasn't attained... yet? It's a little easier to accept coaching from someone who has succeeded at the highest level of what you're playing. 

Green and Smith are gone. Their blatant disrespect last night is terrible. Green was arguing with all the coaches every time he got taken out. Smith refused to look at or listen to any coach who tried to give him some coaching. His family has filled his head with crap that he should be scoring all of these points when he can't hit a jumper outside 5 feet. They both are so unhappy it is affecting the whole team. 

Chris, With the team playing better and the appearance of guys buying into team philosophy instead of me philosophy do you still think Devonte and Justin are gone?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

Speaking of team chemistry, can Indiana bottle this sh*t up and save it for next year? If so, then I’ll gladly welcome back all parties. 

My concern is still the fact certain players were “seemingly” disappointed by playing time and attention. With the addition of some good recruits, how likely can this team stay glued an entire future season as they’ve seemed to be glued in the most recent couple weeks?

That’s a major concern of mine going forward, but I love how excited they seem to be playing with one another right now. Credit to the staff and possibly player leadership. I mean, Smith and Romeo were even offering high fives on the court today.

My, how things have seemingly been turned around on this chemistry front.

And, yes, I used seemingly many times...purposefully.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Winning cures all..

I hope that this situation has help mature the players. On the broadcast today, they mentioned something about Smith getting benched in the second half of a game for his attitude. He then turned that attitude around and it’s seemingly clicking.

Maybe we had to go through the struggles to find out about this team and it’ll bond them together stronger than before.

I replied to someone on here a few weeks ago about teams not wanting to play IU in the BTT. This is the team that other teams don’t want to face in the tourney. A team that has a pg that can lock your point up on one end and orchestrate his offense on the other. A team that has not one but two options down low that can get buckets when they need it. Morgan is like the lightning on the low block that will use crafty moves to get a high percentage shot while Davis is the thunder that will roll right throw you.

Phin, Al, and Romeo will hit the occasional wide open three that you now have to start respecting. Add Green in there when he’s on.

This team might be more dangerous now after they gone through their struggles and are not just playing for a draft position but fighting for a tourney birth and each other. Sometimes you need to fall off the cliff to know you never want to be that close to the ledge again.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m in complete agreement with everything you said. I know losing and playing the blame game can disrupt team chemistry in a major way. No question winning helps bring players together.

I also agree that IU is a scary matchup for opposing teams, just like I think Ohio State will be scary for Indiana (slowly slipping off the NCAA committee’s radar enough to make it desperation time for them as well).

I still wonder, though, is this unit (if those members who have been under question remain) capable of performing as a cohesive whole next year? I hope so (as I’m encouraged by the turnaround) but at the same time I know issues of self-entitlement aren’t typically easy to dispel. 

I’m pleased by the individual performances (improved effort and lack of selfishness) and the team playing together as a whole over the past couple weeks. If that carries over, then I like our chances next year. If not, and the same “cancers” return, then we could find ourselves back to square one. 

Obviously no one knows the answers to my questioning concerns. I was merely commenting and vaguely implying the question, “Is having a Justin Smith back next year a wise decision?” When he plays within himself and for the team (most importantly, maintains a good attitude) then he’s very desirable on the roster. If not...

20 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not so sure now. I've honestly not seen a turnaround like this. 3 weeks ago some of these kids couldn't stand each other. Then the Sunday after Minnesota everything changed. Wish I would have been at that practice but wasn't. We'll just have to wait and see now. 

Player meeting after the Wisconsin game obviously helped as well. IU has been a completely different team since that point. This team is finally together. I can see them doing damage in Chicago