Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Team Chemistry Issues?

33 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Seeing who transfers out will be telling. If Archie and Co. are building the type of program I hope they are players like Anderson, Forrester, Moore, and Thompson will accept their roles and get better as underclassmen to make an impact as upperclassmen.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

The only problem is that this ain't the 70's or the early 80's.  These kids all think they have NBA talent.  They want to play right here, right now.

48 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Seeing who transfers out will be telling. If Archie and Co. are building the type of program I hope they are players like Anderson, Forrester, Moore, and Thompson will accept their roles and get better as underclassmen to make an impact as upperclassmen.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yes. Pork Chop talked about this at Purdue. Guys accepting their roles. Not everybody can be a starter and not everybody can be an NBA player. 

33 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Most of the higher ranked kids have been coddled since grade school and told how good they were over and over and over.  Most were "the man" on their high school team and likely the leading scorer and we get lulled into thinking they are much better than they possibly are along with them.  Then, when recruiting heats up and offers start rolling in, their heads get even bigger.  And don't get me started on the "handlers" and the kids that go to the basketball factories or the AAU circuit which is mostly a "look at what I did".  There are exceptions of course, but I think they are few and far between.  

And there is where the "team chemistry" manifests itself.  It becomes a cancer when guys can't "wait their turn" or understand their role on a team.  Guys like Laskowski, Bouchie, and even Hillman are from long gone era.

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think it can still be done and is done at good programs. There will always be some turnover but the programs that consistently win have juniors and seniors that wait their turn. We need that.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

We need this bad!!!! It's all about culture and mental toughness. Nothing against Damezi or Jake, but if they leave after ONE season you have to wonder if they were the right fit to begin with. Both guys were not expected to play a whole lot. They got more PT than anyone thought. I'm not into recruiting rankings but both were low 4 star recruits. That usually means they wont play much as freshman, have a limited role as a sophomore, and hope they can be a key player by the time they are a junior or a senior. Romeo, Rob, and Jerome here the stars of this class. I always thought Damezi and Jake would be key players off the bench. All the great teams have depth. IU lost three players in the last 5 years that would have provided that (Etherington, Abell, and Stan Robinson-all left after two-three years). 

For some reason coach k and Izzo still aloud to coach kids we seem to get kids who don't want to be held accountable and it shows. I am not saying they are clean or ethical just saying they get actual stars and seem tough on them our guys can't handle anything it seems

Sent from my SM-G960U using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think it can still be done and is done at good programs. There will always be some turnover but the programs that consistently win have juniors and seniors that wait their turn. We need that.

Anything can be done.  But the recruiting mindset of the coaches has to change as to what players they are going after.  

Anything can be done.  But the recruiting mindset of the coaches has to change as to what players they are going after.  

Stockpile top 150 talent that fits your system to contribute when upperclassmen while landing a couple of stud recruits. That’s how you win consistently in college basketball.

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Stockpile top 150 talent that fits your system to contribute when upperclassmen while landing a couple of stud recruits. That’s how you win consistently in college basketball.

Are Duke and Kentucky aware of this?

Are Duke and Kentucky aware of this?

North Carolina, Villanova, Kansas, Arizona, and several other programs are aware of it. Two champions in the OAD era have won on the backs of freshmen. This is IU’s path back to being elite. IU will never become am G League program.

Not liking Smith as a player is fine and mostly correct, but none of the young bigs have shown anything to suggest they should play over him. Jake needs to add so much strength before he can play in the big 10. Does anybody actually think that things would have been better if Jake/Moore/Fitzner were getting Smith's 30 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

33 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

If guys cant get minutes on this team this year then some of you need to temper expectations going forward. Especially a guy like Moore who has been in the program a couple years.

Expectations for next year?  I just want to win a few more games this year.  I will worry about next season when this season ends.

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

Expectations for next year?  I just want to win a few more games this year.  I will worry about next season when this season ends.

I admire your commitment to this season. I checked out on this season weeks. I haven’t watched a full game in a month. I’m ready for this season to be over and I’ve been thinking about next year for awhile. Really, I’m ready for the season after that if I’m honest. That’s when I think we start to see some consistency or we will have clarity if we have the right guy. 

45 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

If guys cant get minutes on this team this year then some of you need to temper expectations going forward. Especially a guy like Moore who has been in the program a couple years.

I wouldn’t right off any younger player. It takes time to develop. Some of these guys will develop into rotational players, not stars. 

8 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I wouldn’t right off any younger player. It takes time to develop. Some of these guys will develop into rotational players, not stars. 

I agree...but the question is:  Do they think of themselves as rotational players or stars?

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

I might add that this applies to Smith, too. Does it seem like hustle and attitude could be consistently better? Of course. But the sort of player who can take a beating in the post from Nick Ward on one possession and stay in front of Cassius Winston the next don’t grow on trees.

He’s only a sophomore, maturity can still come. Of course I wish that and the offensive breakout had come this year, but I think it’s nuts to write him off.