Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

JUCO: 6'4" SG Sean McNeil to West Virginia

I would love to have a kid like this. I think some people think every player we bring in needs to be a stud. What this team needs is solid/consistent role players. As mentioned before this kid will stretch the floor and force the defense to respect his shot. Hypothetically, if a player with that outside shooting ability was on this roster, say they only average 6 ppg, but stretch the floor and clears the Lane up some allowing Juwan and Romeo to get better lanes and shots. Maybe they both increase their ppg by 4-6 because of that. So a player like this essentially brings an additional 14-18ppg.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

58 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If you've never watched any video of Luke Brown ('21), watch his clip because this is the kind of shooting range Brown has plus passing ability.   (PS:  Brown can't dunk)

I agree. I would say Brown’s range is as deep if not deeper and he is quite the passer. Ive not seen much of McNeil’s passing game to compare. And, you’re right...Brown cannot dunk. Ha!

McNeil would be here next year though, whereas Brown is a sophomore in high school and cannot make any impact for IU over the next two seasons. IU needs a shooter today, or ASAP.

McNeil, from the little I read, seems to be a physically tough kid who has good size and who can shoot. I wonder what the coaching staff thinks of him.

As for the JUCO route (IU Hoosiers 41), I read he wasn’t confident he was ready for college. When he left Bellarmine (which he now regrets) classes were in session. Then, I believe he sat out one year. I would guess this would leave him with fewer choices than your typical high school senior or transfer player. I’m not sure though. He said he felt out of place at Bellarmine and it didn’t seem like a good fit at the time, but upon arriving at Sinclair he felt the opposite (maybe because he was a year older and more mentally mature or maybe he felt the academics and/or competition level was more comfortable?) I too wonder where the lack of confidence stemmed from to leave school in the first place, but I also wonder if it was just a gut feeling that where he was just wasn’t right. He would have been 18, so who knows?

I agree. I would say Brown’s range is as deep if not deeper and he is quite the passer. Ive not seen much of McNeil’s passing game to compare. And, you’re right...Brown cannot dunk. Ha!
McNeil would be here next year though, whereas Brown is a sophomore in high school and cannot make any impact for IU over the next two seasons. IU needs a shooter today, or ASAP.
McNeil, from the little I read, seems to be a physically tough kid who has good size and who can shoot. I wonder what the coaching staff thinks of him.
As for the JUCO route (IU Hoosiers 41), I read he wasn’t confident he was ready for college. When he left Bellarmine (which he now regrets) classes were in session. Then, I believe he sat out one year. I would guess this would leave him with fewer choices than your typical high school senior or transfer player. I’m not sure though. He said he felt out of place at Bellarmine and it didn’t seem like a good fit at the time, but upon arriving at Sinclair he felt the opposite (maybe because he was a year older and more mentally mature or maybe he felt the academics and/or competition level was more comfortable?) I too wonder where the lack of confidence stemmed from to leave school in the first place, but I also wonder if it was just a gut feeling that where he was just wasn’t right. He would have been 18, so who knows?

Maybe McNeil, if we could land him, would be a good segue for Brown. The staff would get comfortable with that type of player and what works/doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, ray said:

The lack of confidence with a jump shot like that can be troubling.  Prone to massive shooting slumps they can’t get themselves out of.   You want the scorer who keeps shooting thinking the next one is going to go in and not doubting themselves. 

Honestly getting juco and grad transfer players is so hit and miss at IU over the last decade it seems. I’d give it a shot, but there are a lot of question marks there
I agree in fact it seems most big ten teams dont even get jucos anymore. But we are desperate so..

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I dont get the luke brown hype until we see him play aau this summer.

I do but I’ve also seen him several times and the kid knows how to play and most of his skills will translate. He is very Bohannon ish in his six and skills. But you are correct that he does have to show up and perform during AAU this summer.

I do but I’ve also seen him several times and the kid knows how to play and most of his skills will translate. He is very Bohannon ish in his six and skills. But you are correct that he does have to show up and perform during AAU this summer.

Obviously seems early to offer but probably the type of guy who would go to purdue and light us up with 6 threes if we dont get him. Always happens.