Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU Hoosier41

Purdue at Indiana Game Thread - 7:00pm ESPN2

10 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

The college game changed a few years ago to not allow the bump, grab, shove of cutters. It works for awhile and then the Big Ten loves them some trash basketball and reverts back to the old. The “can’t call all the fouls” defenses of Wisconsin and purshit reign supreme.

I wonder how those teams will perform in the tournament.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Agreed.  That's what I kept telling my stupid sister last night.  Purdumpsters just run up to people and smack them.  

I think this team is more in need of a psychiatrist than a different coach. I think the psyche of this team is very fragile and it is probably too late to turn that around. We may not have great shooters, but there is no way they should be as bad as they are. To me, that screams head problems.

3 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I think this team is more in need of a psychiatrist than a different coach. I think the psyche of this team is very fragile and it is probably too late to turn that around. We may not have great shooters, but there is no way they should be as bad as they are. To me, that screams head problems.

Psychiatrist? More like an exorcist!

10 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I completely agree with the tourney being about guards. However, you don’t see the trash basketball that is the Big Ten basketball. You won’t see Edwards being able to grab a player with both hands to stop him from cutting. You won’t see Haarms grabbing or bumping cutters without a foul. What the Big Ten allows and what is allowed in the tourney are night and day.

I applaud the Big Ten for not having as many programs caught up in the scandal (that won’t result in much) but they get a big fat F in the style of basketball.

I love IU and college basketball but if I’m a top player that could go anywhere I’d find it tough to play in the Big Ten. It’s just not a modern day version of basketball.

I would love for IU to have the reputation of a Michigan, Wiscy, MSU, or pu where the refs just stop calling fouls. It happens almost every game. pu had 5 fouls in the first five minutes and then they just suddenly stopped fouling even though zromeo was still being held, Morgan was being bodied, and our other guards were getting hacked.

Their big hit Romeo’s arm and body before getting the ball. That’s a foul almost every time in a different league. In the Big Ten, that’s a big moving his feet so well and getting a hand on the ball.

Freedom of movement isn’t allowed in the Big Ten and it’s a detriment to the league.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Totally agree. The way the game is officiated in the Big Ten hurts Big Ten teams in the tourney. I have said that for the last 5 years. Something has to change. John Higgins was the only decent official last night and he is not a normal Big Ten guy. Can't believe Archie pays Bo to come in and officiate practice. That guy has not given us a good call this year. 

9 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I don't expect anyone to agree with me about him.  I'm venting, really,  I just hate the way he plays.  1-7 from the floor tonight w 3 turnovers; and it's not as though that's an uncommon stat line for him.  He's is - to me - un-necessarily cocky.  His shot selection is awful; I think he's careless and fundamentally bad.   

I'm just done with him.   I've seen 3 year's worth of him.  He is not "our problem" as I see it, but I think he is "a problem," and he doesn't help us win.   Cocky is one thing.  Dumb and situationally unaware is another.  The best team mates don't try to do things they can't do.  He tries to "make plays" all the time, and he's just not that great at it.

My dislike for him as a player is a me thing.  I just didn't see anything tonight that changed my mind and I thought he took - again - some ill advised shots for him.    

We never get into our offense or a set play with the ball in his hands unless Archie screams at him from the sideline to do it. He's very selfish but also you have to have him in because he is one of the only shot makers we have on this team. 

9 hours ago, DChoosier said:

The worrisome thing is that I would not bet much on the offense improving next year.

Freshman TJD replacing senior Morgan and Franklin replacing Romeo does not give me a lot of hope of big improvement unless we land a few other players (Brooks, a longshot these days and one or two shooters). Even if we land a good shooter or two they will most likely be freshmen that are a year or two away.

We need Hunter in the worst way for next year. He plays harder than anyone we have, he can knock down shots and he guards all the time

18 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

We never get into our offense or a set play with the ball in his hands unless Archie screams at him from the sideline to do it. He's very selfish but also you have to have him in because he is one of the only shot makers we have on this team. 

Two reasons DG HAS to play (this year):

1.  He is one of the very, very few shot makers on the team, and
  2.  We only have four guards on the roster; DG is well aware that Archie has nowhere else to turn.

To quote Rick Pitino : "Larry Bird is not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old."

And to paraphrase it to apply to this year's Hoosiers: " Isiah Thomas is not walking through that door, fans. Quinn Buckner is not walking through that door.  And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old. You know who IS walking through that door if I sit down Green? Johnny Jager."

Watching the PU huddles there was an assistant doing most of the talking during TOs when it appeared PU was setting up for an offensive possession.

Maybe we need and offense guru to help

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Watching the PU huddles there was an assistant doing most of the talking during TOs when it appeared PU was setting up for an offensive possession.

Maybe we need and offense guru to help

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That assistant actually runs their offense. That’s his role on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

38 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

The next coach isn’t going to be asked to win a title in year 2. How about not giving up a 22-0 run to Rutgers, losing 11 of 12, and getting their team to show a modicum of intensity and effort every game?

We won't get anyone worth a damn if we can Archie after year 2. That type of stuff doesn't fly with coaches. It would be an awful look. Archie is getting at least 4 years like it or not. Glass on the other hand may need a 6 win football season to save his job. 

Yay for moral victories and losing a Bo Ryan Wisky type of game by 2 at home to your rival. For the love of all, it's come to moral victories with this team and just thankful when they play hard. Meh. 

9 hours ago, DChoosier said:

You gave me a little more hope.

A healthy De’Ron would mean a lot.

It would be huge if Hunter is able to play and is as good as advertised.

Hopefully (who knows) Thompson is helpful. Even though he only played a few minutes the other day he at least seemed to have a feel for where to position himself on defense and to rebound.  

Pre-concussion Rob would also be a big improvement.

Hope I’m wrong but am not sure about Smith turning it around as he seems to have regressed and his confidence level on offense seems to be around the zero level.

I'm a believer in experience and learning lessons.   We'll miss Morgan.  No doubt.  We will not miss Fitzner or McRoberts; and I'm not convinced we'll miss Romeo very much.  That will be unpopular and I know unconventional; but the way he's being used isn't good for the team and isn't good for him.   At this point in his career; he needs the ball as close to the rim as possible so he can get downhill more often before help can get there.

I'm going out on a limb and saying there will be other new faces and at least 1 will be a shooter. Franklin can make the 3, as can Hunter; even if he's not that pure shooter we need.  So I'd expect 3 kids next season who can make that shot, added to Durham and Phinisee; and I think that roster will look far different than this one.

Phinisee, Durham, Hunter, Davis, and Smith (yeah..I'm on his bandwagon until he pushes me off simply because of the potential I see) is a solid starting 5 assuming improvement - but I don't want to hear it.  I want to see it.    Then Jackson-Davis, Forrester, Franklin, "new shooter," and Thompson off the bench, plus whoever stays (I don't care whether Green, Moore, or Anderson stick around)?   I think that's enough to have some hope; but Archie and staff need to get heavily into player development, and that's more than ball handling and shooting.   There's a toughness that needs to develop.  A situational attitude of winning that needs to be instilled and the players held accountable to it.   I have hope....even without Brooks or any idea who "new shooter" is.   =)

48 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Two reasons DG HAS to play (this year):

1.  He is one of the very, very few shot makers on the team, and
  2.  We only have four guards on the roster; DG is well aware that Archie has nowhere else to turn.

To quote Rick Pitino : "Larry Bird is not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old."

And to paraphrase it to apply to this year's Hoosiers: " Isiah Thomas is not walking through that door, fans. Quinn Buckner is not walking through that door.  And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old. You know who IS walking through that door if I sit down Green? Johnny Jager."

We've lost 11 of 12 with Green.   We could lose 11 of 12 with Jager.  =)

I'm not going to get into this game other than to mention Indiana has given up 55 and 48 points on its home floor...and lost both games.
I love defense as much as the next guy, but it's ugly and if you try to win with defense, you leave no margin for error.    We just made 15 FG's in a college basketball game; and in that same game....we had 17 turnovers.  How in the holy hell do you have in ANY game more TO's than FG's???    That's coaching on some level.  
I would like to see at least 2 changes in the assistant coach chairs for next season; and if I were Archie, I'd study the best offenses in the last 2 decades; the best secondary breaks; and I would go get at least 2 shooters regardless of how I had to get them.  And I would punt Green to the curb as fast as I could.

Agree with everything here. We had SO MANY open looks from 3 and missed so many bunnies. We'd be better off shooting blindfolded...it makes no sense. And the turnovers are just unbearable and for the most part unforced. You HAVE to value the ball and maximize possessions when you are trying to win on defense and can't hit the broadside of a barn especially. I'm gonna get bashed for this but if I'm Archie right now I'm putting all my eggs in the Sean McNeil basket. I will say at least we played terrific D and gave effort and had guys taking charges and diving on the floor for loose balls. Just need to keep that mentality and keep Green glued to the bench and I like our chances to compete and stay in games with anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app